Marmotte 2015

15678911»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,749
    Very sad news about the Ironman competitors and does serve as a reminder that sometimes common sense should prevail.

A couple of observations about the Marmotte though. Firstly I am always a little bit surprised how poor the standard of descending is on these events. In the UK I consider myself OK but relatively cautious but over there at times I felt like Vincenzo Nibali the amount of riders I was carving past.

The other is the new route - with the timetable for fixing the Lautaret uncertain what did people think to it? It certainly seemed tougher even ignoring the weather conditions but at times perhaps a bit of a grind - there was less road where you could sit in a group and it was more about individual strength on the bike - maybe a good thing. I wouldn't mind another go at it now I know what the Mollard to Croix de Fer section is like though as I wasn't sure how long that rolling heavy road would go on before we got on to the Croix de Fer proper.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    What was the goody bag like this year? Last year's wasn't too bad with a pair of trendy white sunglasses and some nice manchettes ( arm warmers ).
  • Nariyan
    Nariyan Posts: 2
    Mitts, cap and a yellow bidon.
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    I'm not sure power outputs was the way to go in that heat, heart rate would have been a far better method of guaging output and intensity, and probably perceived rate of exertion was even better.

You hit the nail on the head right there.
  • dragon66
    dragon66 Posts: 18
    I finished in a time of 8:55 and I am 72kg and have done LaMarmotte 3 times and Maratona 2 times previously. I like many was in Gold medal position at the foot of the Alp. I stopped at the feed station before tackling the Alp and had 1 full bottle of water just to pour over my head, and one bottle with High 5 but had run out of my electrolyte tabs so knew there was a struggle ahead. First four bends felt good but then I just slowed down feeling I could barely turn the pedals at time. I took on any offer of a drenching by water bottle or hose to cool me down. The top of the Alp seemed to be getting further away not closer. But I didn't stop once on the way up and could barely pedal at the end. Everyone who finished seem to have masses of salt all over them. When I was told I finished around 1300th I couldn't believe it as I normally finish 2800th or thereabouts. After 90 mins of recuperation we headed down, and I realised why my ranking was higher than usual. I could not believe my eyes as to the amount of riders that were still trying to get up the course. Words previously used like carnage and war zone describe it perfectly. Yes we have all seen this before where people are lying down, slumped over bikes and sat on the bends, but I have never seen the amounts involved last Saturday that were still suffering. It was unbelievable. The campsite we stayed at was desolate until after dark, again never happened before. Unfortunately a Dutch man died due to severe dehydration and his core temperature was 42 degrees when measured in the ambulance. I dedicate my LaMarmotte 2015 ride to him and I will hopefully be there on the start line to observe the minute's silence in his honor arranged by the Organisers next year.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    Really sorry to hear about the death, that's terrible. 42 degrees and you are basically cooking.

I was curious as to how some of the local riders I know and have raced against got on. It seem's their times were about 5% down on last year. People like Loic Ruffaut, Gallego, Todeschini, Fred Ostian. I suspect most of that time is accounted for by a slightly longer course. However the level of acclimitisation between a trained and untrained rider is enormous. An acclimatised rider may lose just 20% of the salt in sweat which can make a huge difference to performance.

It is still very hot here, esp. overnight.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Very sad news about the Ironman competitors and does serve as a reminder that sometimes common sense should prevail.

A couple of observations about the Marmotte though. Firstly I am always a little bit surprised how poor the standard of descending is on these events. In the UK I consider myself OK but relatively cautious but over there at times I felt like Vincenzo Nibali the amount of riders I was carving past.

The other is the new route - with the timetable for fixing the Lautaret uncertain what did people think to it? It certainly seemed tougher even ignoring the weather conditions but at times perhaps a bit of a grind - there was less road where you could sit in a group and it was more about individual strength on the bike - maybe a good thing. I wouldn't mind another go at it now I know what the Mollard to Croix de Fer section is like though as I wasn't sure how long that rolling heavy road would go on before we got on to the Croix de Fer proper.

I think it was harder. And you're right about the heavy road: much of it seemed a real slog, with lumpier bits between the climbs to drain the legs that bit more. But I preferred this route, partly because I don't like the Telegraphe and the Galibier has never gone well for me, but I also loved the Lacets and the climb to Albiez was nice (not the Mollard bit, though). I do not, however, fancy another crack at it :).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    You guys should be reminiscing watching the Tour today!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,058
    You guys should be reminiscing watching the Tour today!!

Tomorrows stage 20 was the original marmotte route but yes today looked nasty glad I gave it a miss this year oh and foreverrrrrrrrr
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    It was great! Especially Glandon and Montvernier.. Both were cracking climbs...