Marmotte 2015

Comments

• pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    Good luck to those riding. Will be in Kingston Wheelers kit, and probably on a black Canyon.

Likewise... I'll be in Brixton Cycling Kit and also on a black Canyon! They're all the rage don't you know :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good luck to those riding. Will be in Kingston Wheelers kit, and probably on a black Canyon.

Likewise... I'll be in Brixton Cycling Kit and also on a black Canyon! They're all the rage don't you know :)

All the cool kids have them :). Will give you a shout if I see you. Am heading out on the Wednesday.

Presently re-building mine. Took some chunks out of the Cervelo's BB following a massive chain jam :(.

Amazing how much easier it is to fettle the gears when you've got a beer inside you...

I think my start number is 190-something.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175

Me? Black Canyon and Dulwich Paragon kit!

A London thing??!
  • fuzzdog
    fuzzdog Posts: 196
    The weather guy on the BBC has just been talking about the heatwave that will hit Europe next week. 40 degrees in Spain and very hot across France. With the cool days we have had here so far that sounds ominous.

If anyone still needs a travel box check these people out. They do a great deal on hire.
    http://www.bikeboxborrow.co.uk/
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Heatwave is forecast in the Alps all this week. For next Saturday Meteo France currently says 38º (!) for St-Jean de Maurienne and 29º for Huez.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/saint-jean-de-maurienne/73300
    http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/huez/38750

I hope everyone is travelling at least a couple of days in advance to acclimatise...
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Heatwave is forecast in the Alps all this week. For next Saturday Meteo France currently says 38º (!) for St-Jean de Maurienne and 29º for Huez.

I hope everyone is travelling at least a couple of days in advance to acclimatise...

2 days? :shock: I've lived here since 1991 and still haven't acclimatized to the summer temperatures. It is going to be very very hot and stuffy in the valleys. The final ADH climb will be carnage as will the last 5km of the Croix de Fer with their rock faces reflecting back the afternoon heat.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599

2 days? :shock: I've lived here since 1991 and still haven't acclimatized to the summer temperatures. It is going to be very very hot and stuffy in the valleys. The final ADH climb will be carnage as will the last 5km of the Croix de Fer with their rock faces reflecting back the afternoon heat.

Fair point, the really hot days over here can be infernal.

Serious advice to people would be to make a point of drinking as much as water as possible all throughout this week.
  • dandrew

Serious advice to people would be to make a point of drinking as much as water as possible all throughout this week.

Speaking to someone on the club run today. He was hospitalised after drinking mountain stream water in the Alps. The reason is that they allow the ski chalet sewage to flow down mountain via the streams etc. Moral. Only fill your water bottles from official stops or village fountains!
  • cjcp

Me? Black Canyon and Dulwich Paragon kit!

A London thing??!

I saw one of your guys last night in Richmond Park.

On a black Canyon :). (He was going at a fair ol' clip, too!)

I remember loosening my shoe straps a little on AdH last time, to reduce the effect of any swelling through heat.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184

Speaking to someone on the club run today. He was hospitalised after drinking mountain stream water in the Alps. The reason is that they allow the ski chalet sewage to flow down mountain via the streams etc. Moral. Only fill your water bottles from official stops or village fountains!

Do you think the organisers may put on extra water stops?
  • Leroy42
    Leroy42 Posts: 78
    Just to add to the complications of Marmotte 2015, there is a planned ATC strike for 30 June to 4th July.

What with the route change and now this, it may end up that the easiest part of the whole thing will be the event itself!
    So this little yellow braclet makes me a better cyclist?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

easy to spot because of the noise that'll be coming from your rear mech and cassette :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    No so long as your entry is complete (which should happen when you upload your medical certificate) that's all you need - print out the letter off the website just in case and I think you might need ID - not sure - take some anyway.

Hmm. I've uploaded a copy of my BC race licence rather than a Dr's cert. anyone know if that is going to be ok? I can't see anything to indicate whether my registration is complete or not.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Yep that's fine so long as you also include a PIC of your 11-23 cassette and 52/39 chainring.

Seriously tho old man that's fine
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Yep that's fine so long as you also include a PIC of your 11-23 cassette and 52/39 chainring.

Seriously tho old man that's fine
    Cheers.

Not going there with girl's gearing though. 56-42 and 11-21 FTW!

(That may not be entirely true. I'm borrowing the 13-29 off 66 major's bike. And she is a girl).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    You do know you can get a 42t rear these days ...? Just saying
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    You do know you can get a 42t rear these days ...? Just saying

Will that work with a triple?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I'd like to offer my best wishes for a safe and enjoyable ride for all those taking part in this year's Marmotte. I did it last year and in 2000 when the first descent was (scarily) down the Croix de Fer. We're not doing it this year but may go for it next when I will be 60 and may stand a better chance of getting a Gold medal being in the older age group!

Even though the problems with the Chambon tunnel have altered the "classic" Marmotte route, I'm sure the new climbs will make this a special, one-off event that everyone taking part will talk about for years to come. You will also have the advantage that the TdF is going up the Lacets de Montvernier this year so when you watch Stage 18 on July 23rd you'll be able to say with pride, "I did that!". :mrgreen:

Once again, all the best.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Rode this route on sunday and it was 31C on ADH late afternoon; too much for me and with the accumulated tiredness as well I had to end the ride at hairpin 17. If i had had some spare water i would have tipped it over my head and that might have been just enough to keep me going. But it is a beautiful ride as previous posters have said and the info on the water stops and climbs was very useful - thanks for all that.
    Good luck everyone, hope your day goes well.
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    OK guys it's very hot, and it's meant to be getting hotter !!!

Today did a circuit taking in the Col D'Izoard some 120km and 2,600m of climbing last year I did it in 4hr 47m and today around 5h 50m (taking into account a wrong turn, actual time was 6hr 21m).

I do not do heat well, plus I only arrived in the mountains yesterday, so not exactly acclimatised.

If any of you appeal to flys etc then it might be worth carrying some anti histamines as cycling up through the pastures I had my own little swarm around me, and did spot a couple of horse flys trying to land on me.

I was carrying two bottles and was filling up at village fountains, but stomach was feeling not too good as I was chucking so much water down me, in hindsight I should have carried some more Hi 5 Zero tablets.

Temp on my Garmin coming back up the valley to home was reading 40.7 but most of the time even at altitude was 35 - back home in the shade my thermometer is reading 31.2
  • dandrew
    Do we need lights now that we're not going down the Galibier? i.e. are there tunnels on any of the other mountains?
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    anyone made stem notes that I could use your information? I am unsure of the distances of the climbs and where the water stops are.
  • cjcp
    anyone made stem notes that I could use your information? I am unsure of the distances of the climbs and where the water stops are.

I think there's an illustration on the Sport Comm website you can print off which will show you where the water stops are.

Off the top of my head, there's one at the top of the Glandon, one about 20km after the bottom of the Glandon (used to be before the start of the Telegraphe), and one at the roundabout on BdO, just before you hit the base of AdH. But there should be two or three others before then.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hypster
    Do we need lights now that we're not going down the Galibier? i.e. are there tunnels on any of the other mountains?

There are some tunnels on the way up the Croix de Fer. They seemed pretty dark when I did the Marmotte descent in 2000 but I can't remember how long they were. Obviously climbing you will be going through them a bit slower so I'm not sure if you will need a front light to see by but a rear light might be useful for safety. Maybe somebody who has been through them more recently could advise.
  • hypster

When I did the Marmotte last year it was pretty warm as well and there were extra water stops (in addition to those officially marked) on the Telegraph and two I think on AdH. Even though the route has changed substantially I'm sure the organisers will be well aware of the conditions you will be facing on Saturday so will lay on extra water stops en route.
  • davidof

There are some tunnels on the way up the Croix de Fer. They seemed pretty dark when I did the Marmotte descent in 2000 but I can't remember how long they were.

The Marmotte route does not go through any tunnels so no need to carry lights.
    Instagramme
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Last year it was positively chilly on Marmotte day compared to recent years! In fact I really enjoyed the ride last year as it wasn't baking on the Alpe at the end.

I've done it five times before and 2007 stands out as a painfully hot year, 2009 was similar although not quite as bad. I remember the temperature on the Alpe being about 39C that afternoon and it was a painful climb. On days like that it is worth stopping at every water stop and drenching yourself as the cooling effect will save you much more time than trying to keep going without stopping.

I was supposed to be doing this year but work commitments have ruled me out... sort of glad given the forecast! :shock:
  • hypster

There are some tunnels on the way up the Croix de Fer. They seemed pretty dark when I did the Marmotte descent in 2000 but I can't remember how long they were.

You're right of course, I forgot the route is going over the Col du Mollard first so bypasses the tunnels on the Croix de Fer lower down.
  • davidof

You're right of course, I forgot the route is going over the Col du Mollard first so bypasses the tunnels on the Croix de Fer lower down.

The tunnels might have been nice, giving a bit of shelter from the predicted 41C temperatures.
    Instagramme
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    edited July 2015
    You can use my data , i measured the distances and heights off the course gpx download and they are several km out in places compared to my trace so don't take them as gospel. I also used davidofs fountain info and managed to locate the one in Sorlin. I expect there are additional water stations provided by the organisers on the day.
    There are no tunnels on the route.

WATER fountains
    St Columban des Villards (51km) (tourist info, on right)
    Albiez le Jeune (88km) (at X-roads, by white phonebox, on right)
    St Sorlin-D'Arves (108km) on the right just after Mairie/Post Office
    ADH (160km) hairpins #16 and #7

Climbing
    some of the climbs are stepped with even some downhill parts mixed (particularly the Glandon). Again distances may vary according to your device but you get the general idea of how they come along...

Col de Glandon
    13-15km, (80m)
    16.7km - 25km , 800m - 1262m (462)
    26km - 35km, 1202m - 1782m (580)
    38km - 41km, 1740m - 1871m (130m)

Valley 63k-68k

Lacets de Montvernier
    68km-70km, 487-738m (341m)
    71k-73k, (50m)

col de Mollard
    79k-92k, 566m-1351m (785m , 6% avg)
    92k-98.4k, 1351m-1620m (269m 4% avg incl. a bit of downhill)

col de CDF 100k-113k, 1247m-2067m (820m)
    ADH 158km-165km, 717m-1805m (1100)

Good luck

EDIT: fixed the Mollard numbers and location of water in Sorlin