London - Surrey 100 (yep that's right, me)

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
So, my cousin bought a bicycle - and the Team Sky kit which suits his almost zero percent body fat body. Our loving conversation about how wonderful cycling is descended into "I'm faster than you" "No, I'm faster".

Long story short, we're riding the London - Surrey 100 (his choice - I was going to go for one of the easier bike rides, a 30 mile one perhaps). I estimate I've got to drop 3 stone and sell my soul to the devil because I rode 15 miles around the Weald and was in pain. Help!

Jesus wept.

I'll keep this thread going to report on my training and progress so that if it goes South at least there is some record of my efforts.

Fundraising page
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You have circa 12000 posts and you have never ridden a 100?

maybe less posts more riding my man....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I see 'Power Awesome' has been upgraded to 'Power Absolute'
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    good luck.

i predict a trouncing... it is a race isnt it?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,345
    You've got plenty of time, you'll be fine. If it helps you feel better I've signed up to do 200k in early June. I've not done much more than ride to work and back since last summer. Also bear in mind you are unlikely to get as wet as I did on the SplashLondon86 as it was last year.
    Just build up your mileage and don't fret. You've got a new bike to enjoy, so just get out and enjoy it.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    :shock:
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You've got plenty of time, you'll be fine. If it helps you feel better I've signed up to do 200k in early June. I've not done much more than ride to work and back since last summer. Also bear in mind you are unlikely to get as wet as I did on the SplashLondon86 as it was last year.
    Just build up your mileage and don't fret. You've got a new bike to enjoy, so just get out and enjoy it.

i wouldnt worry you can always pull out at the last minute with some lame illness excuse :twisted:

You know The-Rules
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    itboffin wrote:
    i wouldnt worry you can always pull out at the last minute with some lame illness excuse :twisted:
    There is that of course. :oops:
    Can you feel your arm yet?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yarp physio measured it as out by 5 degrees bent 15 straight, might be able to go 5/10 hopefully without pain.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    Yarp physio measured it as out by 5 degrees bent 15 straight, might be able to go 5/10 hopefully without pain.
    Is this some sort of code... should we be worried?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    In the days I got a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry... maybe I can help?

I strongly recommend doping in your case... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Is this some sort of code... should we be worried?

I'm thinking a pose like this:
    6842807-large.jpg

Or perhaps
    11542.jpg
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Hes
    Veronese68 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    There is that of course. :oops:
    Can you feel your arm yet?

He not allowed to drop out! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    In the days I got a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry... maybe I can help?

I strongly recommend doping in your case... 8)
    Hmmm. Seen Breaking Bad?! :twisted:
  • DonDaddyD
    I shouldn't need to dope. Probably take pain killers before the ride, but that's it.... that's not doping right? Right!?

Anyway, day 2: I've not trained yet, but the next three days is about conditioning. I'm on 1500 calories a day (with training) to lose weight and I need my body to get used to 'going diesel' (lack of fuel) before I start truly exerting myself.

Felt hungry yesterday went into a shop and had to resist every single urge not to buy a twix. Woke up with a headache today but weirdly feel energised as what I'm eating is really healthy and mostly 'superfoods'.
    Food Chain number = 4

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I shouldn't need to dope. Probably take pain killers before the ride, but that's it.... that's not doping right? Right!?

Technically it is... broadly speaking, if you use a substance to get a benefit rather than to cure a pathology, that's doping, even if the substance is legal.
    Preventing pain is a way to get an unfair advantage... hence doping... you might as well inject some of your uncle's blood a week before the event... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • dhope
    I'd have thought you should be focusing on riding the bike. Eat sensibly, eat plenty, ride more. The weight will drop if you ride enough and you'll get the fitness with it. It's only 100 miles, it's only 1 day. It's flat, you can eat while you ride. You don't really need to worry about running on fumes just yet.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but I generally find riding more helps me ride more, and you need the base fitness before you worry about things like fasted training.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Anyway, day 2: I've not trained yet, but the next three days is about conditioning. I'm on 1500 calories a day (with training) to lose weight and I need my body to get used to 'going diesel' (lack of fuel) before I start truly exerting myself.

Felt hungry yesterday went into a shop and had to resist every single urge not to buy a twix. Woke up with a headache today but weirdly feel energised as what I'm eating is really healthy and mostly 'superfoods'.

I took up cycle commuting to train for this event. When you say not training do you mean something specific or that you are currently doing no cycling?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Last year, I did no riding and very little commuting. I got round OK (4 hours for the 86).

Not sure what the big deal is. its not like a Queen stage of the tour.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    I have to agree with dhope. I would think riding is more important than dieting, although I too know nothing. But then you don't come on here for qualified advice I hope. Who is it that has a sig that says "advice given is worth exactly what you paid for it."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Another in the get the mileage in. I managed 121miles in London-Brighton-london a few years back and did the rapha hell of the North 70 miles with mild off road sections.

For neither had I trained, I wasn't fast but managed both, Hell of the North I should of taken food on more regularly, I ran out of suger/food.

Get the pace right and it's very doable
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Who cares if it is doping? Not that I'm going to give advice on whether or not to take pharmaceuticals, but it's not a race, so who cares whether you took a substance that was illegal for racing?

Echo what the others said about just doing plenty of riding. It's much easier to get fit first and then use that fitness to lose weight, than it is to do it the other way round. A rule of thumb that's always worked for me is that, if you're confortably doing a regular mileage every week, you shouldn't have too much trouble doing that same weekly mileage on a single day. So if you get yourself to the stage where you're riding 20 miles a day, 5 days a week, you're good to go.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Challenge him to a boxing match instead! :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,725
    TGOTB wrote:
    Echo what the others said about just doing plenty of riding. It's much easier to get fit first and then use that fitness to lose weight, than it is to do it the other way round. A rule of thumb that's always worked for me is that, if you're confortably doing a regular mileage every week, you shouldn't have too much trouble doing that same weekly mileage on a single day. So if you get yourself to the stage where you're riding 20 miles a day, 5 days a week, you're good to go.
    That theory worked for me: somewhere between 25 and 30 miles a day, 5 days a week of London commuting was all the preparation I did for 98 miles, and solo over much hillier terrain in Wiltshire, Dorset & Devon.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I just did my (less than) normal Winter riding and did 110 miles on Bank Holiday monday just gone. Approx 30 of that was off road and the whole trip on a CX bike. Not bigging myself up, I was slow, but did it based on just staying on the bike over Winter.

Just get some miles in, lose some weight eating sensibly and you'll be fine.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    Challenge him to a boxing match instead! :lol:

You first!

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/98355 ... ut_record/
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Update, did some weekend riding on Sat and Sun with my legs and lungs feeling better on Sunday than they did Saturday. However, this was a flat circuit around my village with an upward bit that must be steeper than I think and it looks as it gets me every time.

Judging where I am - and I'm no where near ready for this - I'm going to have to do hill repeats because it's like I've forgotten how to ride up a hill. The minute the bike hits a hill I feel like I'm sandbagging and all my technique goes. I was never the best going uphill but this is ridiculous.

Sponsorship: My page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LaurenceDW

First vid on my new channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaIae8F ... tion=share

Online Blog to come. I'm actually enjoying this its becoming a right proper hobby.
    Food Chain number = 4

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    up your calories, take up weight lifting, watch the weight fall off. use the bike as HIIT and cardio training.
  • DonDaddyD
    SOS!

My chainset and I aren't getting along. I can't get on top of it when going up hill. It made no sense I thought there was something wrong with the bike. So I did some research and it turns out I got a standard chainset the big one, 53/39 and a 12 - 25 cassette.

What should I do, MTFU and attempt ride Leith Hill and Box Hill or change the rear cassette to something gentler 12 - 27 perhaps?
    Food Chain number = 4

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Put on the biggest cassette the rear derailleur will take, probably 12-28. And make sure your chain is then long enough.

I ride 34x29...you can't have a gear that is too low!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SOS!

My chainset and I aren't getting along. I can't get on top of it when going up hill. It made no sense I thought there was something wrong with the bike. So I did some research and it turns out I got a standard chainset the big one, 53/39 and a 12 - 25 cassette.

What should I do, MTFU and attempt ride Leith Hill and Box Hill or change the rear cassette to something gentler 12 - 27 perhaps?
    You answered the question. MTFU and do Box and Leith Hill. If you're not fine in 39x25 then keep on doing it until you are.
    The answer would have been different if you were thinking of La Marmotte, but Box Hill is a big ring 'climb' so just get out and ride more ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo