London - Surrey 100 (yep that's right, me)

13»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think it's nearly all been said already, but I would have gone for bib-shorts. Those tights might prove to be a bit on the toasty side by the time we're at Ride100.

Good luck!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yep, thanks all for the advice.

I did go for bib-shorts (apologies).

To be honest, due to my closeness to the train station and distance from work (50+ miles away), cycling isn't really an option, so I'm less commuter and more a leisure rider with an eye on sportives, proper sportives. I haven't figured out a route that allows me to British Rail/cycle and I also do the school run which makes things impractical.

It's a different type of cycling - commuting through London really is just sprinting between lights and cycling in the Country is about pacing yourself, slowing taking in the scenery and dodging wildlife - and there are things that I took for granted, didn't appreciate, so I'm exploring those. Loving it really. Chamois cream really is nice - especially when you go bald down there. I'm so frictionless its like perpetual motion.

Comes September I'll be a different type of rider - transforming myself from Cavendish to a beefier Contador [pun].
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Also, have I pointed out that I'm going up against I'm going up against this guy so it's a little more than a ride.

Watch from about 1min into the vid - t'was his first every pro-fight, against the then champion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZSVhQNL5w

So it's a little more than a pootle charity ride.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    50 miles, perfect, work out how to do one day a week full distance, you could even do a back to back, cycle home one day and in the next with the choo choo covering the first in and last out.....where you have a will, you would find a way!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Sort of on topic...

Tyres, what do people recommend for a ride of this length...

1. Stick with my Gatorskins and hope I don't get a puncture as I can never get the rear one back on the bloody rim.
    2. Go with my softer racier tyres that have hardly any puncture protection but are really easy to get on and off when required.

?!?
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I went with gatorskins in the P155 pouring rain last year i didnt get a puncture.

Its not a race.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'll race you, I'm there as well. And I need to drop 3 stone (not going to happen). So use me as a lardy benchmark!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    SecretSam wrote:
    I'll race you, I'm there as well. And I need to drop 3 stone (not going to happen). So use me as a lardy benchmark!
    That sounds a lot more realistic than racing the boxer. The phrase "his mouth wrote a cheque his body cannot cash" comes to mind.
  • DonDaddyD
    GP4000s.

And whats all this 25mm tyres. add disc brakes and basically road bikes are mountain bikes with drop handlebars.

23mm - the purists choice.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    GP4000s.

And whats all this 25mm tyres. add disc brakes and basically road bikes are mountain bikes with drop handlebars.

19mm are surely the purists choice, and none of this faffing with derailleurs
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    I did it last year with 37mm tyres, disc brakes and full mudguards. Best bike for those conditions. :P
    I'm not a purist, but the weather doesn't scare me.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    GP4000s.

weren't you rocking conti attack forces 28s ...? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I did it last year on 23mm Ultremos. No punctures. I would rather risk a puncture or two than ride 100 miles on Gatorskins or equivalent. This year if it is dry I'll be on 25mm GP4000S on my 50mm carbons. As for the boxer, you should fear him as much as he would fear a fight with Chris Froome. It's boxing, FFS, about as far removed from cycling as sport can get.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just use whatever tyres you would normally use. For me it used to be Michelin Pro4 SC, now moved to Schwalbe One Tubeless.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    GP4000s.

weren't you rocking conti attack forces 28s ...? :twisted:

I think you're thinking of my Conti 4 Seasons they may have been 25 or 26mm - bought by accident. Worked well though, very good p-resistance but I got the similar levels of p-resistance and miles out of 23m GP4000s, which I prefer. Gatorskins offered little more p-resistance given the perceived reduction in performance and very real reduction in grip. IMO GP4000s are the best Conti have on offer.

Re my Attack/Force,

Attack was 22mm and Force was 24mm

I still maintain if ever you could detect speed and grip between top end tyres (compared to same GP4000s), you could on those. Loved them, but one emergency stop and I burned right through the rubber.
    Food Chain number = 4

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Did it last year in my Conti 4 Seasons 25mm with 0 punctures.

Rookie makes a good point - when I was staying in Tunbridge Wells I used to cycle from the office to home about once a week, circa 40 miles if I remember. Lovely ride in the summer months and great training.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • veronese68
    Just thought of this. What happened? DDD are you out there?
  • dhope
    Just thought of this. What happened? DDD are you out there?
    I think he's still going

Edit:
    Nope, he finished. not far behind the boxer
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Does anyone know what DDD commutes in on? I saw a larger gent on a decent bike last week going very slowly and had some recollection he was South London way. I didn't particularly want to shout "DonDaddyD" at him
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • dhope
    Does anyone know what DDD commutes in on? I saw a larger gent on a decent bike last week going very slowly and had some recollection he was South London way. I didn't particularly want to shout "DonDaddyD" at him
    He's moved out to the sticks :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo