London - Surrey 100 (yep that's right, me)

Comments

• Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Work on your sprint, then you can draft him all the way and outsprint him on the line. :twisted:

Edit: Obviously employ as many of these as possible on the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRL9th ... PhoFUA9Mqi
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    go for a 11-32 and pay for a longer mech - was the best decision I ever made
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    all my PRs around Surrey are on 39*25. The compact and 28 have made me lazy
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    coriordan wrote:
    all my PRs around Surrey are on 39*25. The compact and 28 have made me lazy

That's cos the 39*25 forces you to put the power in and go faster, lower gears will tend to make you lazy in that respect but you'll yearn for them after many miles in the legs.

To the OP - depends how fit you are at distance, but there's really only one steep hill on this route and that's going up the south side of Leith. Newlands and Box hill are doable on higher gears (especially Box) so worst case you end up walking the top part of Leith (or just apply rule #5). Its just a hill...get over it ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Bolt your current cassette on the front and put the chainrings on the rear. Sorted.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    I managed 121miles in London-Brighton-london a few years back

You must have got badly lost then - London-Brighton is about 50 miles ... 8)

I agree with the others here. Just ride regularly - the weight will fall off. Good luck with your training! I'm doing the London-Surrey 100 too.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    wandsworth wrote:

Ditchling Devil is a loop from London to Brighton and back and about 200km.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SOS!

My chainset and I aren't getting along. I can't get on top of it when going up hill. It made no sense I thought there was something wrong with the bike. So I did some research and it turns out I got a standard chainset the big one, 53/39 and a 12 - 25 cassette.

What should I do, MTFU and attempt ride Leith Hill and Box Hill or change the rear cassette to something gentler 12 - 27 perhaps?
    You answered the question. MTFU and do Box and Leith Hill. If you're not fine in 39x25 then keep on doing it until you are.
    The answer would have been different if you were thinking of La Marmotte, but Box Hill is a big ring 'climb' so just get out and ride more ;)

They're a pretty small proportion of the route too.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Srsly you've been on this forum since forever (2007) and used to own an expensive Kuota. WTF are you bleating on about. It's 100 mostly flat miles in a bunch. Should be a piece of p1ss, it's not like you're new to cycling is it.

No way am i sponsoring you. I might as well ask for sponsorship next time I ride a solo century. You want sponsorship then do something properly challenging...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Srsly you've been on this forum since forever (2007) and used to own an expensive Kuota. WTF are you bleating on about. It's 100 mostly flat miles in a bunch. Should be a piece of p1ss, it's not like you're new to cycling is it.

No way am i sponsoring you. I might as well ask for sponsorship next time I ride a solo century. You want sponsorship then do something properly challenging...

Spoil sport. I've let myself go in the past two years. I've got a lot of fat to burn, a heart and blood pressure to contend with. It's why I'm doing this, to sort myself out. But among many things I'm DDD so...

gauntlet.jpg

Bringing back a classic.

So suggest a sportive - a sensible one. I'll see if I an enter it to next years calendar.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just go and ride your sodding bike. You don't need a sportive. You have one on the 15th Aug and it seems that is proving too much for you at present.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited April 2015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So suggest a sportive - a sensible one. I'll see if I an enter it to next years calendar.

http://www.quebrantahuesos.com/quebrantahuesos/info

http://www.hauteroute.org/events/stages/dolomites-2015
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • wandsworth
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

Sorry, I missed London-Brighton-London :oops:
    Shut up, knees!

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rubertoe wrote:

Guy at my club ended up

Swimming 6 miles
    Fred Whitton Challenge
    Bob Graham Round (42 peaks)

Took him 48 hours. Don't think anyone else has attempted it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    a decent challenge you say?

I'm riding London to Paris in 24 hours on 22/23rd May, just me and two others, unsupported, just cos we want to. :twisted:

Itinerary is something like this:

• Leave Ewell/Cheam circa 19:00 Friday evening and ride circa 60 miles to Newhaven on the South coast
    • Catch the 00:30 ferry from Newhaven and catch some zzz’s
    • Ferry docks in Dieppe, France at 05:30 Saturday morning (local time – four hour ferry crossing)
    • Ride the 190km to Paris following mainly the Avenue Vert
    • Arrive late afternoon in Paris, get a beer
    • Make way to Eurostar terminus @ Gare du Nord
    • Catch the 20:30 Eurostar back to London
    • Arrive St Pancras, London circa 22:00 Saturday night and make our way home
    FCN = 4
  • veronese68
    wandsworth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

Thought that was probably the case so I avoided the heavy sarcasm. Have you signed up for the Ditchling Devil? The start is not far from you if your user name is anything to go by.
    I'm a bit worried about it as I've been sick for about 6 weeks and haven't ridden more than 6 miles in ages. :oops: But I'm not as worried as some on this thread.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

Thought that was probably the case so I avoided the heavy sarcasm. Have you signed up for the Ditchling Devil? The start is not far from you if your user name is anything to go by.
    I'm a bit worried about it as I've been sick for about 6 weeks and haven't ridden more than 6 miles in ages. :oops: But I'm not as worried as some on this thread.

should point out that the 121 was the Capital to Coast which then rode back home from, was attaully very doable though I took my time.

V68 you'll be fine once your healthy.

DDD get out there and ride, since you did have a starva account use it as a training aid, find some hills etc beat your times etc.
  • wandsworth
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

Thanks. No, I haven't signed up for the Ditchling Devil - I didn't know about it until now. might look into it (I am indeed based in Wandsworth) I did Ditchling Beacon a couple of times on London-Brighton rides. Made it to the top, though it wasn't fun ...
    Shut up, knees!

• DonDaddyD
    I bought my first ever Asos bib tights - cost £110 and they're worth every penny - so thick, so comfortable. Also used chamois cream for the first time - this is my a must have.

Things are coming along nicely. Now for some wheels and more hills.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Christ but you are over thinking this, I'm 48, only slightly above averagely fit and I just did a 200km on Indian roads on a Giant Roam Hybrid 38mm tyres and suspension forks), I had to carry my own water (couldn't risk tap water at the stations) so started out with nearly 5Kg of water and containers and all in 24+C heat (overnight ride to avoid the 42C heat of the day) so had batteries and lights as well.

Get on your bike and ride the damn thing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    I ride my bike every week along the sunny roads of the Kent Countryside. I also enjoy submersing myself in my bike and paraphernalia. I could do this on my Giant SCR and £10 kit. I'd argue it wouldn't be as fun - in fact I know its not. This is how I enjoy my hobby.

Anyhoo:
    I've also changed my (5700) Double to a (5800) Compact 50/34 - slowed me right down that has. I topped out a 30.4mph - interval sprint - but had to bail because of an approaching car. Reckon there is a good 34mph+ in the tank. Awesome is still there.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This is how I enjoy my hobby.
    I'd imagine your post count is higher than miles covered

Your hobby is posting to Bikeradar; cycling comes second ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Asos tights, cool, I'm so jealous! I wish I could get them but Asos don't cater for my thin girly thighs. Also, my wife owns my debit cards and I have to ask her permission before I spend anything over £25. She gives me a £10 weekly allowance out of my monthly salary and I've tried to save but she makes me spend what I save on her. I'm so under the thumb, I wish I was more like you DDD

Dude, I can't relate to your pain, my thighs are mighty and my wife only goes on top when I tell her to, but I can sympathise with your situation. Asos bib tights are amazing, perhaps take your wife to a shop selling them and get her to try a girly pair on. If she buys them it'll fit both of you, what with your girly thighs and all.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Asos tights, cool, I'm so jealous! I wish I could get them but Asos don't cater for my thin girly thighs. Also, my wife owns my debit cards and I have to ask her permission before I spend anything over £25. She gives me a £10 weekly allowance out of my monthly salary and I've tried to save but she makes me spend what I save on her. I'm so under the thumb, I wish I was more like you DDD

Dude, I can't relate to your pain, my thighs are mighty and my wife only goes on top when I tell her to, but I can sympathise with your situation. Asos bib tights are amazing, perhaps take your wife to a shop selling them and get her to try a girly pair on. If she buys them it'll fit both of you, what with your girly thighs and all.
    Uh huh

Btw, it's spelt Assos. If you're buying your tights from ASOS then it's likely you're the one with the girly legs.

Apart from that though, good banter MsDDD
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Uh huh

Btw, it's spelt Assos. If you're buying your tights from ASOS then it's likely you're the one with the girly legs.

Apart from that though, good banter MsDDD
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'd imagine your post count is higher than miles covered

Your hobby is posting to Bikeradar; cycling comes second ;)
    :oops:
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    a decent challenge you say?

I'm riding London to Paris in 24 hours on 22/23rd May, just me and two others, unsupported, just cos we want to. :twisted:

Itinerary is something like this:

• Leave Ewell/Cheam circa 19:00 Friday evening and ride circa 60 miles to Newhaven on the South coast
    • Catch the 00:30 ferry from Newhaven and catch some zzz’s
    • Ferry docks in Dieppe, France at 05:30 Saturday morning (local time – four hour ferry crossing)
    • Ride the 190km to Paris following mainly the Avenue Vert
    • Arrive late afternoon in Paris, get a beer
    • Make way to Eurostar terminus @ Gare du Nord
    • Catch the 20:30 Eurostar back to London
    • Arrive St Pancras, London circa 22:00 Saturday night and make our way home

done this, was good fun, can't remember the time but we did it in around about 23hrs. We had enough kit with us to last 5 further nights. Get good lights is my only advice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I ride my bike every week along the sunny roads of the Kent Countryside. I also enjoy submersing myself in my bike and paraphernalia. I could do this on my Giant SCR and £10 kit. I'd argue it wouldn't be as fun - in fact I know its not. This is how I enjoy my hobby.
    Enjoying it is fine, but as long as the bike and kit is 'good enough' I don't find it dents my enjoyment at all, as it happens I used the Roam for my ride as that was the most suitable bike I could hire.

You submerse yourself in your bike yet as I recall can't index your own gears? In which case I presume the 'submersion' is done in private!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I have to say I agree with IP. I considered going the sponsorship route to get a place on the Ride100, but I would have been too embarrassed to ask for sponsorship. My family would have just regarded it as doing something I rather like doing! Not really worthy of sponsoring, part from giving to a good cause.

What happened to the Kuota? I have cycled with you on runs that are not hugely harder than this route, it will be fine. Anyone can get up Boxhill. Your training rides need to be a bit further than 10 mile runs around your village though.

The whole 'voyage of discovery' is a bit hard to swallow. Re hills - lose some weight.