Silly Commuter Sportives

1343536373840»

Comments

• mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I did the Revolution too. 14th on Day 1 and 40th on Day 2. 15th overall on total time. I was well happy with that - not bad for a 47 year old that was 15st 4lbs and sedentary only 15 months ago! I still can't quite believe that there was only a small amount of additional climbing on Day 2. It felt like there was a lot more but I've checked and checked again on various mapping sites. That final climb up to Crystal Palace mast with 170 miles in your legs was testing. And the vicious little climb after feed-stop 2 on Day 1 was evil.

Threshold do organise a good event. I did RAB with them last year and the Revolution is great preparation in terms of learning the process they follow in camp. The thing to take away from it is that it is worth getting away each day as soon as you can and pressing on to finish in the first 10%. The lack of queues for massage, showers, food etc just makes the 9 days a lot easier to deal with. Getting in later just makes for a horrible experience with long queues for everything.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Well that's the Marmotte done soooo i've signed up for the Magnificat epic distance this Sunday :roll:

I think I need help ...an intervention or something?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Having done the Cyclone a couple of weeks back I'm looking for more, currently considering Lakeland Loop (possibly ride 100 miles there the day before to see if I can handle two heavy days in a row), Wiggle New Forest and Etape Pennines but they are both the same weekend.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This is probably worth a resurrection now that we're into Feb.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 'tis true - had a nudge about a new Sportive in Derby and then promptly baulked at the cost: £35 for the 160Km route. Only expecting about 200 riders as well (but it does include a free t-shirt...)

I want to do more than just the one this year, and missed out on a couple of good ones due to illness and can't-be-arsedness. I think I might chuck in a couple of easier 100Km ones to get warmed up.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,832
    I'm doing Flanders this year. The middle distance mind...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Flanders (long) and London Surrey Ride100 thingy for me. Plus perhaps the Big G in East Yorkshire.

Have been put off a few by the prices - £30 or whatever it is for Hell of the Ashdown just seemed like daylight robbery, but then when you can pay £10 for a spin session I guess I just need to get my head round the concept of inflation...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    When do we find out if we got a place on the Ride London Surrey wind up the locals thing? I applied for a place, but the EPO wants to book a summer holiday so I'm stalling to see if I got in.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    When do we find out if we got a place on the Ride London Surrey wind up the locals thing? I applied for a place, but the EPO wants to book a summer holiday so I'm stalling to see if I got in.

Should be today or tomorrow by post, was a link in its own thread to login and see.