Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2013 - *includes spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    That was a great move by Chavanel - looks to have good form. Unfortunately for him G Van Av was super motivated for this race so pulled the others into contention. If his team mate wasn't there, I am sure Chavanel would have gone again.

I think if Chavanel hadn't gone so early in the first place he may have won, he looked super strong. The lack of radios probably played a part, with better information he might have sat up and joined the chase group with Thomas and GVA then launched a race winning move closer to the finish.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Helmet FAIL

tumblr_mipb1iOBjS1r4o0yso1_500.jpg

That looks like the saucepan that I wore in the 80's for commuting.
  • Size gap!
    het_nieuwsblad_2013_1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Always like to see Matt in action in top races. Remember him as a youth, before he calmed down/got serious. All class.

Roetlands says he damaged his cornea in the icy winds. 2-3 days off the bike.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anyone know what jackets the Omega Pharma boys have? Castelli?

omloop_Kramon_OHN2013_KRA8095-Version-2.jpg
    castelli+2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Always like to see Matt in action in top races. Remember him as a youth, before he calmed down/got serious. All class.

Why did he lose his place in PT? Not good enough?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Like this photo...

8502359852_8d42753a91_b.jpg

Is that semaphore?

Why did he lose his place in PT? Not good enough?

No idea, I'd guess at his being in his late 20s, having lost a couple of years to a very serious injury (legs run over by a truck) and not having any wins besides a couple of Irish Nationals to his name makes him a less attractive prospect than any number of youngsters willing to ride for the same money. He did a year each at HTC and OPQS as a classics prospect, but I imagine that's a difficult role to fill at the latter.

He was also quoted as being annoyed that he found out in the paper that he was being released long after he should have started looking for a contract.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave milne wrote:
    that's proper racing. sound like ff here but I didn't want paolini to win as he looked so crap in comparison. legs all over the shop.

notice haussler wasn't wearing gloves. remember millar saying something about that. htf do you keep your hands warn in those temperatutres without gloves?

No idea how he is able to race without gloves. What did Millar say?

Tweet from Millar last year
    Heino won't wear gloves unless it's sub-zero because, "My body's not stupid, if my hands get cold then it'll warm them up." I rest my case
  • LOL. What a stupid thing to say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave milne wrote:
    dave milne wrote:
    that's proper racing. sound like ff here but I didn't want paolini to win as he looked so crap in comparison. legs all over the shop.

notice haussler wasn't wearing gloves. remember millar saying something about that. htf do you keep your hands warn in those temperatutres without gloves?

No idea how he is able to race without gloves. What did Millar say?

Heino won't wear gloves unless it's sub-zero because, "My body's not stupid, if my hands get cold then it'll warm them up." I rest my case

Science innit? :wink:

@gietvangent
  • Havent seen it reported anywhere but OPQS's website, but Matteo Trentin buggered a scapoid in a crash
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited February 2013
    dave milne wrote:

Mine must be stupid then, my feet are freezing! :(
  • If someone'd tried to make me ride over the weekend without my winter gloves, I'd have punched them, no messing
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If someone'd tried to make me ride over the weekend without my winter gloves, I'd have punched them, no messing

With or without your gloves?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Without. Too much cushioning otherwise...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Without. Too much cushioning otherwise...

Naturally.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Mitts however...

Or I could make like the pros and use a wheel as the weapon of choice... :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,601
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Helmet FAIL

tumblr_mipb1iOBjS1r4o0yso1_500.jpg

That looks like the saucepan that I wore in the 80's for commuting.

More like one of those footballs we played with at school. They would get kicked onto a roof and when the caretaker finally got them down months later they looked just like that!
  • het.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Watched the first 30km of the live stuff just now. 60km to go. Will watch the rest later.

Haussler is the most interesting so far. No gloves and looks antsy. Though we know he likes it cold so that may be exagerating things. Boonen quiet on the Taaienberg. Not a good sign really. Vandenburg or whatever he's called, the tall OPQS guy who was mega last year seems to be pedalling more easily than most. He could be a real unsung hero for opqs this year again. He was unusually good last year. Big guy too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mj3pxb0WCs1qacyk6o1_r1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest