Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2013 - *includes spoilers*

Comments

• nevman wrote:
    Looked like G had a word about 20K to go and met with shrugs?Weird as it was down to about 30 secs then.

Should have bribed them with welsh cakes....

How bloody frustrating :(
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OPQS had the wrong guy up the road. But Chavanel was prohibited by protocol to work, and the group had a few gassed riders... no chase. If they had radios would Vandenberg have been told not to ride: wait for Chava?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,833
    I hate the one day classics. I only enjoy watching them when Fabian rides as he actually has the balls to ride to win the race.

It's a one day race. I really don't understand why people will sit up and not work, it's not like you can try again next week. If you want to win then you have to contribute and ride. I really don't understand it.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Didn't Paolini show well at RVV last year?

Yes (7th). He's one of those guys who is often in the shakedown but rarely there at the finish.

Last cobblestone section imminent.

Great for him that he's made one stick then. Thought he rode well, Vandenbergh too. I agree with others though, very dull!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I hate the one day classics. I only enjoy watching them when Fabian rides as he actually has the balls to ride to win the race.

It's a one day race. I really don't understand why people will sit up and not work, it's not like you can try again next week. If you want to win then you have to contribute and ride. I really don't understand it.

You've got to be prepared to lose in order to win. That's why Flecha has never won a classic.

An on form Boonen makes these races exciting. It was so wierd not seeing him attack on the Boonen-burgs.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    iainf72 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

You've got to be prepared to lose in order to win. That's why Flecha has never won a classic.

An on form Boonen makes these races exciting. It was so wierd not seeing him attack on the Boonen-burgs.

What does that *actually* mean?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

You have to say "if no one rides with me, I'm not going to chase" and follow through on it. Try to force people to help, and if they don't you give up your chance of winning.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

You've never ridden a 3rd cat road race?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Now you know how Lance Armstrong became a World Champion.
    He went for it while the selection watched each other.
    Hey Ho that's normal cycle racing.
    This race is often won like this...Van Petegem, Gilbert, for instance.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think with this kind of racing, is that if 5 riders work then there's always one or two who will sit on the back saving energy to get the 3rd place. Some riders would be happy with 3rd in a race like this; Sven Vandousselaere gave a little sign of being chuffed with his 3rd place as he crossed the line.

I was suppose to go out today on the bike but too cold; these crazy monkeys were racing! Bonkers!
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • tailwindhome
    inseine wrote:

You've never ridden a 3rd cat road race?

No. But I've finished 3rd of a breakaway of three on the ice cream run.

That was some ride.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Haussler finished 19th? Who as being carried to the side of the road then, anyone know how they are?
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • scwxx77
    Nevermind it wasn't him:
    https://twitter.com/IAMcyclingFans/status/305349951528005634
    #ohn #Omloop Kristof Goddaert hit a motorbike
    on the side of the road, bad
    bruises but should be OK for tomorrow's
    @KuurneBxlKuurne #ouf...
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    scwxx77 wrote:
    Haussler finished 19th? Who as being carried to the side of the road then, anyone know how they are?

wasn't hausler. it was goddaert

edit: scwxx77 beat me to it

edit 2: oh dear, that was scwxx77 answering scwxx77's question. Never mind. The Chimay was good :burp:
  • scwxx77
    skylla wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:

wasn't hausler. it was goddaert

edit: scwxx77 beat me to it
    Yes, my french isn't great and I probably missed the update on that one in the commentary ;)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Didn't see race, and know nothing about the winner, but this quote tickled me:
    Asked to make a statement regarding his own credibility and that of cycling at large, Paolini said wearily: "We're at the avant-garde of the fight against doping in cycling..."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paolini-chalks-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-victory-up-to-experience

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Asked to make a statement regarding his own credibility and that of cycling at large, Paolini said wearily: "We're at the avant-garde of the fight against doping in cycling..."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paolini-chalks-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-victory-up-to-experience

why?
  • tailwindhome
    iainf72 wrote:

You have to say "if no one rides with me, I'm not going to chase" and follow through on it. Try to force people to help, and if they don't you give up your chance of winning.

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-and-c ... -the-race/

Sounds like that's what Geraint did....

Seems the lesson is don't get stuck in the chasing group unless you've the acceleration/ engine to bridge the gap without towing everyone with you
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    All the guys in the break should know that if you're in the lead group with 40 kms to go in a Belgian cobbled classic and there are two OPQS riders in it, then you make damn sure that every time one of them has a dig you go with them. Paolini got it right, the rest should be told they are riding back to the hotel to think about the mistake they made.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    skylla wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

why?

'Avant-gard' made me think of Dadaism... but then I just googled the phrase and discovered it means 'advance-guard' so I get what he means now. I was/am really cr@p at French.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • that's proper racing. sound like ff here but I didn't want paolini to win as he looked so crap in comparison. legs all over the shop.

notice haussler wasn't wearing gloves. remember millar saying something about that. htf do you keep your hands warn in those temperatutres without gloves?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Like this photo...

8502359852_8d42753a91_b.jpg
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Helmet FAIL

tumblr_mipb1iOBjS1r4o0yso1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Race face, no glasses.
    castelli+1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • luca.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
  • tailwindhome
    UCI must be delighted at a Katusha win :wink:
  • That was a great move by Chavanel - looks to have good form. Unfortunately for him G Van Av was super motivated for this race so pulled the others into contention. If his team mate wasn't there, I am sure Chavanel would have gone again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave milne wrote:
    that's proper racing. sound like ff here but I didn't want paolini to win as he looked so crap in comparison. legs all over the shop.

notice haussler wasn't wearing gloves. remember millar saying something about that. htf do you keep your hands warn in those temperatutres without gloves?

No idea how he is able to race without gloves. What did Millar say?
    Contador is the Greatest