Linda McCartney team doping investigation

1235»

Comments

• bompington wrote:
    The ability to change gear is an important skill in cycling which is not really a skill or technique based sport. Using a modern derailleur to change during a time trial or in a break is relying on technology and removes the skill. It would be sad to see the art of manually lifting the chain onto a different cog lost and made redundant.

But would you like to see automatic gear selection done for you by a computer linked to the power meter?
  • bompington wrote:
    The ability to change gear is an important skill in cycling which is not really a skill or technique based sport. Using a modern derailleur to change during a time trial or in a break is relying on technology and removes the skill. It would be sad to see the art of manually lifting the chain onto a different cog lost and made redundant.

But would you like to see automatic gear selection done for you by a computer linked to the power meter?

How about electronic gear shifting Trev? Work of the devil that must be banned forthwith?
  • bompington wrote:

How about electronic gear shifting Trev? Work of the devil that must be banned forthwith?

I ride a fixed or single speed bike. Gears are the work of the devil, should never have been allowed, turned people into complete poofters.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    It has been mentioned before and it'd certainly add a bit of excitement as some riders would bonk, whereas now they can be very measured.

And every time it's mentioned it's discussed and dismissed as utter rubbish usually centered around some Boring Team Sky Nonsense
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • it doesn't really bother me. But if race radios are banned, power meters seems like a comparable situation.

If we ever get to a point where I feel I'm watching a predominantly drug free sport, that'll do me. Any tinkering with rules around technology etc. can come after that really. Unfortunately there are still too many "relics" of the old era about at the moment that nothing can b done about unless a positive test or such like is found.
  • ^wot he said
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Sky have been described as the methodical reproduction of the effects of doping by alternate means

Yes, good description, and we may well see in the future those 'alternative means' being made illegal. Under the rules is a substance which is performance enhancing but little known and not on the banned list illegal? Some legal methods are in my opinion just as unethical as banned methods. There are many lines which are very grey and hazy. It is not easy to work out what side of the line some are on.
    Trev I am getting a feeling of deja vu from your persona. Biking Trev?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Sky have been described as the methodical reproduction of the effects of doping by alternate means

Yes, good description, and we may well see in the future those 'alternative means' being made illegal. Under the rules is a substance which is performance enhancing but little known and not on the banned list illegal? Some legal methods are in my opinion just as unethical as banned methods. There are many lines which are very grey and hazy. It is not easy to work out what side of the line some are on.
  • Dave_1 wrote:

I never confirm or deny if any identity is mine.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,146
    Dave_1 wrote:

I never confirm or deny if any identity is mine.

thats a yes then :roll: :lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

You don't need to look far back and Kimmage was one of very few prepared to stand up to the likes of Armstrong and his bitches.
    Because it was good journo material and like bernie and others they earn their living at it.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Sky have been described as the methodical reproduction of the effects of doping by alternate means

In My Time Brad comes right out and says that altitude training boosts red blood cells. Think the sentence might even end "the same way EPO does" but it could have been my subconscious adding that part.

Not sure if he uses altitude tents but if he does he's not telling.

Anyone know why don't we hear more about altitude tent practice: are they not very effective? Are they a pain? Is altitude training better at boosting RBCs? They're not banned are they? Will the UCI ban Kenya and Boulder too? Ban the Mexico city track?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Sky have been described as the methodical reproduction of the effects of doping by alternate means

In My Time Brad comes right out and says that altitude training boosts red blood cells. Think the sentence might even end "the same way EPO does" but it could have been my subconscious adding that part.

Not sure if he uses altitude tents but if he does he's not telling.

Anyone know why don't we hear more about altitude tent practice: are they not very effective? Are they a pain? Is altitude training better at boosting RBCs? They're not banned are they? Will the UCI ban Kenya and Boulder too? Ban the Mexico city track?

What's wrong with altitude training?

And what has it got to do with the Linda Mcartney team?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,213
    What's wrong with altitude training?

To rational human beings, nothing. Don't remember anyone making a fuss over Boardman using a home-made altitude chamber when he was training for one of his Hour record attempts (the athlete's one IIRC)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    There's a bit in the Tyler Hamilton book about altitude tents. He thought they were a pain. Hang on...."a big hassle, gives you a headache and doesn't improve your blood haemocrit levels as much"