Linda McCartney team doping investigation

Comments

• So Trev, now happy that Wiggins didnt race with the Linda McCartney squad? And Rob Hayles didnt ride for them btw

He signed for them and trained with them for a few weeks at least. Perhaps Bradley should have his history re written to make it clear he did not actually race for McCartney.

And until you read this thread you never gave it a second thought.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • So Trev, now happy that Wiggins didnt race with the Linda McCartney squad? And Rob Hayles didnt ride for them btw

He signed for them and trained with them for a few weeks at least. Perhaps Bradley should have his history re written to make it clear he did not actually race for McCartney.

I'll write to him right now c/o Team Sky, Manchester, and advise him to have some minion change Wiki
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yeah Wiggins has really swept this under the rug, I mean it's only mentioned in his autobiography and his (numerous) biographies and press articles...Talk about a lack of transparancy!

Dr Andrew Coggan would be ashamed!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • From the Times article, seems that following USADA-Armstrong, Julian Clark (just come out of clink for fraud - who knew) wrote to British Cycling with info about doping in the tLinda McCartney team, and this was then passed onto UKAD.

DeCanio gave info to the Times who passed it onto UKAD. Claims that the team didnt run a doping programme but (including Yatesy) turned a blind eye to riders doping individually. Says he didnt get picked for the Giro cos he wouldnt take drugs (sure Matt Stephens will thank him for claiming that).
  • Fact is Wiggins pretended to be a vegetarian.
  • Now THAT is funny :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Fact is Wiggins pretended to be a vegetarian.

Ho.Lee. Sh1t! :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The odd thing with DeCanio is he's mostly been proved correct. I used to think of him as a nutter but he's been on the money a lot of the time.

That said, I've not looked at stolen underground for quite a long time so I could remembering only the bits where he was right.

I can send you on some e-mails I got from him in about 2004 that will allay any doubts that he was a nutter.

I remember Armstrong would undermine any witness who told the truth.

It does look as though once again it is testimony and witness evidence exposing cheating rather than drug tests.
  • Chris Newton rode for Linda McCartney.
    http://www.chrisnewton.ndo.co.uk/Articl ... onal25.htm
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The odd thing with DeCanio is he's mostly been proved correct. I used to think of him as a nutter but he's been on the money a lot of the time.

That said, I've not looked at stolen underground for quite a long time so I could remembering only the bits where he was right.

I can send you on some e-mails I got from him in about 2004 that will allay any doubts that he was a nutter.

It does look as though once again it is testimony and witness evidence exposing cheating rather than drug tests.

Well, let's see what UKAD find and conclude.

But lets be honest everyone now knows how easy it was to avoid testing positive - Hamilton's book etc has educated us all on that front. As others have said, to test positive was more a proof of stupidity than anything. So no surprise about the role of testimony and witness evidence.
  • iainf72 wrote:

I think my influence and knowledge over the world of cylcing is rather less than DiCaneo's...I was in correspondance with him about a team he wanted to set up and, to be honest, i'm not surprised he never got anywhere. His e-mails went on for pages without mentioning anything they were supposed to, just rambling. One of them ended with "The lies... The lies!"

I was genuinely worried for him.

Although, the business model he was thinking about was pretty similar to Garmin now.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • To quote from the article in The Times,

"The information passed on to UK Anti Doping by The Times contains clear evidence of doping."

UK Anti Doping say "on this occasion the relevance (of the evidence) was considered sufficient to be actively pursued"
  • Yes, that's why they've initiated an investigation. They dont just undertake one because someone calls up their hotline anonymously. They have to follow a prescribed process which includes interviewing the relevant people, including the named, and other riders and back-room staff etc.
  • Oh poor Yates, He didn't know there was any doping at Linda McCartney, he never even heard it mentioned, infact he doesn't even know what doping is.............again.
  • Oh poor Yates, He didn't know there was any doping at Linda McCartney, he never even heard it mentioned, infact he doesn't even know what doping is.............again.

BUT he can tell you what a veggie sausage roll looks like, which is something

I can vouch for Linda's sausages though, genuinely have them instead of meat on occasion purely because they taste so nice. 8)

I can vouch for Linda's sausages though, genuinely have them instead of meat on occasion purely because they taste so nice. 8)

Ah, she's smiling down on you, LL

Ah, she's smiling down on you, LL

In Contrast, I really really dislike Paul McCartney.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I wonder if they'll use the contaminated steak excuse?

I'm here all week.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I wonder if they'll use the contaminated steak excuse?

I'm here all week.

:lol: A clever steak joke I can handle.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I wonder if they'll use the contaminated steak excuse?

I'm here all week.

:lol: A clever steak joke I can handle.

Lucky Rick's not about much these days!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    So the gist of this story is "cycling team in the late 1990s turned a bit of a blind eye to doping". Well who would have thought it?
  • I think the gist of the investigation will be whether there's any link to BC or Sky now
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    edited December 2012
    I think the gist of the investigation will be whether there's any link to BC or Sky now

http://www.pelotonwebdesigns.com/lindam ... newton.htm
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2012.html

Think Chris Newton works with the Mens Track pursuit team.

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... in-Glasgow
  • I think the gist of the investigation will be whether there's any link to BC or Sky now

http://www.pelotonwebdesigns.com/lindam ... newton.htm
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2012.html

I dont mean anyone who rode or was otherwise part of the team. I mean whether they find any known cover-ups by BC etc.
  • Ok, just testing the water. Let's say at the very least Yates admits to turning a blind eye (which would hardly come as a shock to all of us), and Sciandri admits to having doped (ditto). How would you feel? Does Sky get discredited? Does BC get massively discredited by Sciandri running the Academy in Quarrata for a while? Do the Academy guys all get tainted in peoples eyes? Does BMC get tainted (tho given who owns and runs the team, never mind all the staff...)? And the likes of Taylor Phinney who Sciandri now mentors?

I'm starting to get to the viewpoint of just saying screw the past till at least some of the players started making an effort to be clean - say end of the noughties.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Robert Millar is a vegetarian... Now if we can just link Tommy Simpson to the Beatles, I think we have British rider bingo....
  • mroli wrote:
    Robert Millar is a vegetarian... Now if we can just link Tommy Simpson to the Beatles, I think we have British rider bingo....[/quote

Bowie performed with the Beatles, so there's your Ground Control to Major Tom connection
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Ok, just testing the water. Let's say at the very least Yates admits to turning a blind eye (which would hardly come as a shock to all of us), and Sciandri admits to having doped (ditto). How would you feel? Does Sky get discredited? Does BC get massively discredited by Sciandri running the Academy in Quarrata for a while? Do the Academy guys all get tainted in peoples eyes? Does BMC get tainted (tho given who owns and runs the team, never mind all the staff...)? And the likes of Taylor Phinney who Sciandri now mentors?

yes

which is why we need a full on one time amnesty deal

get it all out now guys because its going to come back and bite you later
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Yates' past is catching up with him faster than Motoman delivering some vials of edgar.

But what's the gain here? McCarney's was a sheit team with sheit results, kinda like Lampre in 2012.

Nailing someone for what happened 11 years ago will not prove that Bradley is clean now, just because the UK anti-doping agency kicks ass.

We won't know for sure if Bradley doped or not for another 6-7-8 years. Going after LM will not prove that British cyclists today are lilly-white.

Give it up.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.