I've kicked a hornet's nest with this elsewhere

1234568»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Legal but socially unacceptable... Cycling?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    snailracer wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    his point is that just because it isnt illegal doesnt mean that it is socially acceptable.

And Spen666 and Specialized Needs.

Tell me one thing each that is socially acceptable* that is also illegal?

*For it to be socially acceptable it needs to be accepted by the majority of society.

Speeding?
    +1
    As is bad driving in general.
    As was, until recent times, drunk driving.

speeding is only socially acceptable when you do it. When someone else is speeding for example in your street or when you are cycling it is socially unacceptable to you.

The issue of social acceptability is very subjective
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I am now bored with this.

What we have learned is that some people think that drinking strong lager while driving is perfectly acceptable. And it is legal, which I admit I was not aware of.

Appears the majority think this is not acceptable and that a potential crime has been done, as the driver may be over the limit.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    spen666 wrote:
    snailracer wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    his point is that just because it isnt illegal doesnt mean that it is socially acceptable.

And Spen666 and Specialized Needs.

Tell me one thing each that is socially acceptable* that is also illegal?

*For it to be socially acceptable it needs to be accepted by the majority of society.

Speeding?
    +1
    As is bad driving in general.
    As was, until recent times, drunk driving.

speeding is only socially acceptable when you do it. When someone else is speeding for example in your street or when you are cycling it is socially unacceptable to you.

The issue of social acceptability is very subjective
    I based my criteria on how many people do it, and I believe the majority of drivers speed regularly.

According to one source, only 13% claim to comply with all speed limits:
    http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/r ... ings93.pdf
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    snailracer wrote:

According to one source, only 13% claim to comply with all speed limits:
    http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/r ... ings93.pdf

Or you just found out that 13% of the population are pathological liars who won't admit they make a single mistake, ever, in an anonymous survey.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ....wanders in....

Whoops :oops:

.....sneaks out.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ....wanders in....

Whoops :oops:

.....sneaks out.....

Just admit it, you made the whole thing up for a laugh as you were struggling up said hill. ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Damn. I wish I'd thought of that sooner. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    W1 wrote:
    I don't see any particular difference (putting to one side, for the moment, the driving "whilst doing something else" argument) in threatening to report someone who has a pint in a pub, and then gets in the car, to drinking a beer when already driving. They both involve drinking and driving - if that's the OP's issue.

If it's the consumption of alcohol combined with driving that's caused the OP's problem, then does he report anyone he sees drinking in a pub and then getting into a car? I would presume not.

If it's the "not being in proper control" which causes the OP's problem, then does he threaten to report anyone doing anything behind the wheel that could be considered "not being in proper control"? Again, I would presume not.

In which case I struggle to see the OP's justification for making such a threat in this instance. However I can understand that the perception of what the chap was doing is immediately unacceptable to most people.

I agree with W1.

*Flogs own back with cat of nine tails*
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I don't see any particular difference (putting to one side, for the moment, the driving "whilst doing something else" argument) in threatening to report someone who has a pint in a pub, and then gets in the car, to drinking a beer when already driving. They both involve drinking and driving - if that's the OP's issue.

If it's the consumption of alcohol combined with driving that's caused the OP's problem, then does he report anyone he sees drinking in a pub and then getting into a car? I would presume not.

If it's the "not being in proper control" which causes the OP's problem, then does he threaten to report anyone doing anything behind the wheel that could be considered "not being in proper control"? Again, I would presume not.

In which case I struggle to see the OP's justification for making such a threat in this instance. However I can understand that the perception of what the chap was doing is immediately unacceptable to most people.

I agree with W1.

Urgh!

Oh god.. I do too!

Puke.gif
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    See? What a civilised place this is! Where people can weigh up each others contributions on merit, not just based on previous run ins with each other

Aaaaawwwwww, you guys!!!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Is this thread still banging on? I thought of it this morning when I passed a guy in a Q of slow-moving traffic busily texting away, so I gesticulated at him (yeah, that gesticulation. W@nker) and he quickly put it away. There was no opportunity to discuss the matter as he wouldn't catch me up, but it was interesting how quickly he complied. Tw@t; gelled hair, shades, surly manner, people carrier type thing. YG07 NEP if you see him; feel free to accidentally gob in his open window.

Sometimes the idea of a stand-up fight in the middle of the road is quite appealing. Sometimes.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CIB wrote:
    so I gesticulated at him (yeah, that gesticulation. W@nker)

Wow, stone me! Are posh people even allowed to make that gesture?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    CIB wrote:

Yeah, so long as they have their little-finger sticking out.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CIB wrote:

Actually no; I had my man do it for me, following on the emergency tandem . He's useful, not as good as the previous incumbent but that one left. I think he may have been borderline gay; wife doesn't. Only last night I was musing 'how queen was my valet'.

Coat...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I agree with W1.

Urgh!

Oh god.. I do too!

That just means that you're all wrong

It's worse for me however. I find myself agreeing with MBC....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • PBo
    CiB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CIB wrote:

Actually no; I had my man do it for me, following on the emergency tandem . He's useful, not as good as the previous incumbent but that one left. I think he may have been borderline gay; wife doesn't. Only last night I was musing 'how queen was my valet'.

Coat...

posh, cultured and witty.

you are stephen fry AICMFP!
  • PBo
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I agree with W1.

Urgh!

Oh god.. I do too!

That just means that you're all wrong

Tha's just sick....
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636

I had to do that once.

*shudders*
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I did allude to this in the Bunny Hill post, but I think it got missed...

This is the post copied straight from another forum I frequent:
    Cycling home tonight - I've come up behind a line of traffic waiting for some temporary traffic lights.

The guy driving the car in front of me takes a can of Stella out of the drinks holder and takes a slurp.

It's a line of traffic - it's come to a halt, so I pull up alongside of him and make the following suggestion:

"I'll make you a deal, you pour that drink away and I'll not report you to the Police. How's that?"

He agreed, really quickly. His girlfriend looked confused but he's telling her to pour the drink out of her window - so she does. Whole can - on the road on her side.

So, was I righteous pillock, or doing my bit?

Oh yeah, and I had a helmet cam, so the whole thing is captured for posterity (and if anyone wants to get into the whole debate about Helmet cams for cyclists - start another thread... I got mine for the fun stuff)

Good Lad :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.