I've kicked a hornet's nest with this elsewhere

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I did allude to this in the Bunny Hill post, but I think it got missed...

This is the post copied straight from another forum I frequent:
Cycling home tonight - I've come up behind a line of traffic waiting for some temporary traffic lights.

The guy driving the car in front of me takes a can of Stella out of the drinks holder and takes a slurp.

It's a line of traffic - it's come to a halt, so I pull up alongside of him and make the following suggestion:

"I'll make you a deal, you pour that drink away and I'll not report you to the Police. How's that?"

He agreed, really quickly. His girlfriend looked confused but he's telling her to pour the drink out of her window - so she does. Whole can - on the road on her side.

So, was I righteous pillock, or doing my bit?

Oh yeah, and I had a helmet cam, so the whole thing is captured for posterity (and if anyone wants to get into the whole debate about Helmet cams for cyclists - start another thread... I got mine for the fun stuff)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Good work.

Mate of mine got reported leaving the pub by a mutual friend and lost his licence for a year. He's marrying said mutual friend later this year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    fair play to the man! its better he put it away than become another statistic on our roads!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Why a hornets nest? This is pefectly fine.... drinking and driving just do not go together, what a Jackass teh guy was/is.

I think you acted correctly. In fact you should probably report to police anyway, a ticking off froma cyclist will not deter him and he could maim or kill.

In fact the more I think about it, bugger the deal, get him reported!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I did allude to this in the Bunny Hill post, but I think it got missed...

This is the post copied straight from another forum I frequent:
    Cycling home tonight - I've come up behind a line of traffic waiting for some temporary traffic lights.

The guy driving the car in front of me takes a can of Stella out of the drinks holder and takes a slurp.

It's a line of traffic - it's come to a halt, so I pull up alongside of him and make the following suggestion:

"I'll make you a deal, you pour that drink away and I'll not report you to the Police. How's that?"

He agreed, really quickly. His girlfriend looked confused but he's telling her to pour the drink out of her window - so she does. Whole can - on the road on her side.

So, was I righteous pillock, or doing my bit?

Oh yeah, and I had a helmet cam, so the whole thing is captured for posterity (and if anyone wants to get into the whole debate about Helmet cams for cyclists - start another thread... I got mine for the fun stuff)

I think it was a reasonable thing to do (speak to him, not drink beer whilst driving!). I saw a woman sat in a car drinking (also) Stella, she was in the driver's seat, the engine wasn't running but it was reasonable to assume she was going to be driving at some point in the near future. She was parked up, of all places, in the road outside the magistrates court. Possibly enjoying something to calm her nerves before going in to her drink driving case? :roll:

Anyhoo.....i called the non-emergency police number and the guy on the phone told me that having an open container of alcohol while in control of a vehicle (just being in the driver's seat is enough) was an offence and they'd send someone to check it out. No idea if either of things were true, but I didn't feel like i'd done anything wrong.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Why would you be being a righteous pillock? Are you suggesting you should have just turned a blind eye to someone drinking at the wheel? I hope you reported him as well as getting him to pour the can away.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    May be correct, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to rile a guy drinking stella from a can behind the wheel of a car.

S'more dangerous than jumping red lights.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Should have just reported them.

Who knows how many cans they'd had before you spotted them slurping one or how many they'd have after you were out of sight.
  • bails87
    I think you acted correctly. In fact you should probably report to police anyway, a ticking off froma cyclist will not deter him and he could maim or kill.

I'm tempted to agree, for all the OP knows he'd had 5 cans already, he may have poured that one away, but he might be hammered already, or have an entire crate in the car.
    MTB/CX

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I say well done to you mate, there wasn't alot more you could have done in the circumstances. I would also report him as well!
  • bails87
    Thinking about it, if he can't even drive somewhere without having a beer, he's probably got a problem, in which case he may well have been over the limit from the moment he had his breakfast gin.
    MTB/CX

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    after the fact isn't going to wash as the plod need to catch folks in the act with a Blood/Alcohol over the 0.8%

What kills off this sort of stuff is it being socially unacceptable rather than being caught by the police.

ie well done mr Burns now ride up that hill on a SS/FG ;-)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Couple of things after I had a chat with the Police:

it is not an offence to drink Alcohol while driving - people get confused about this and DUI (and he would need to be breathalysed at the time to determine this.) The offence was 'due care and attention' as the ACT of drinking would leave him not in control of the vehicle.

The policeman did also say that even if I had reported it right there and then it would be impossible to convict for DUI as he would be off and away and it would not be possible to determine his alcohol level at that time.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I guess it's the blatancy of this instance that makes it stand out. Chances are there will be drivers far more pissed-up than that bloke who 'just went out for a quick social couple after work' putting us in greater danger, but of course, there's not much we can do about that lot.

You did your bit KB and well done for doing so. Now, if you could just come to London and sort out the problem with idiots who still think it is fine for them to talk on their mobiles while driving, I will be eternally grateful.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    Can't see a problem with what you did, and thankfully, the driver seems to have acted sensibly (or at least from there on). I guess if he had kicked off, KB could have just reported him anyway. Nothing self-righteous about it at all as far as I can see.

BTW, as the responses are pretty consistently positive here, I'm guessing the other forum of which KB speaks had a more equivocal view of drink-driving.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's was more "bloody self-righteous $%^£^%^" and "all cyclists are £^£$%^£&" kind of comments.

Very mixed reaction tbf - some supportive, some outraged, some more thoughtful "did the right thing, but what if he'd pulled out a knife / kicked off / run you down?"
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    don't think we've forgotten your inexcusable behaviour on that little incline though
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Re the offence of being "drunk in charge of a vehicle", I was once told that just being in possession of the keys was enough technically to be charged. That may be a urban myth however.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Kieran_Burns
    don't think we've forgotten your inexcusable behaviour on that little incline though

put that down to mental hurdles to be overcome and leave it at that :|
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    There's a huge subject here; as cyclists, particularly regular/commuting cyclists, we do spot a LOT of illegal behaviour by other road users, and yes, that includes other cyclists.
    I reckon on any given day on my commute through South London and back I could 'report'

about 30 drivers holding a mobile 'phone to their ear
    about 10-20 vehicles with defective lights/brake lights
    5-10 vehicles with other defects, like broken mirrors, flat tyres, smoking exhausts etc
    5-10 drivers not wearing seat belts
    5-10 cars that drive past with a VERY strong smell of mary jane!
    10-20 cyclists not obeying the Highway Code to the letter (I'm one of them by the way)
    Dozens of pedestrians who ignore traffic/crossing signals etc
    Hundreds of passengers in the back of Black Taxis NOT wearing seatbelts (it''s illegal - look it up!)

The list could go on. Consider the Cycling Policemen (and women) - they could probably report about 50 drivers on 'phones every day if they wanted to. That's £30 a pop, multiplied by 50 = £1500 per day per bike cop! £7500 per week!!

If you want to see what the world is really about, ride a bike!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Why a hornets nest? This is pefectly fine.... drinking and driving just do not go together, what a Jackass teh guy was/is.
    Timely remark?
    Link

Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    which isn't illegal.

considering how long and convoluted the crossings are it's no wonder folks give up and just cross.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    There's a huge subject here; as cyclists, particularly regular/commuting cyclists, we do spot a LOT of illegal behaviour by other road users, and yes, that includes other cyclists.
    I reckon on any given day on my commute through South London and back I could 'report'

about 30 drivers holding a mobile 'phone to their ear
    about 10-20 vehicles with defective lights/brake lights
    5-10 vehicles with other defects, like broken mirrors, flat tyres, smoking exhausts etc
    5-10 drivers not wearing seat belts
    5-10 cars that drive past with a VERY strong smell of mary jane!
    10-20 cyclists not obeying the Highway Code to the letter (I'm one of them by the way)
    Hundreds of passengers in the back of Black Taxis NOT wearing seatbelts (it''s illegal - look it up!)

The list could go on. Consider the Cycling Policemen (and women) - they could probably report about 50 drivers on 'phones every day if they wanted to. That's £30 a pop, multiplied by 50 = £1500 per day per bike cop! £7500 per week!!

If you want to see what the world is really about, ride a bike!

That's exactly why we cyclists should be issued with guns, or at the very least tasers.

Joking apart, I think your more-bobbies-on-bikes idea is a very good one. I'm sure they could pay for themselves with the revenue they would make on fines.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Personally I get irked by people who don't mind their business. I mean the guy wasn't causing an offence, he hadn't. He wasn't drunk and behind the wheel and sure we may question his judgement but that's largely subjective as we cannot determine whether he was over or under the limit..

All this preventative bullcrap is just that, bull-crap. Frankly I just think you encroached on his civil liberties to make a mistake. Nanny state at its worst!

And there is an element of hypocrisy about this! How may cycling offences do we see a day RLJers, pavement huggers etc Do we threaten to report them! Further victimisation of the motorist if ever I saw it!

And if you made it this far... I'm joking of course, I think you did the right thing and then some! Well done!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    which isn't illegal.

considering how long and convoluted the crossings are it's no wonder folks give up and just cross.

Point taken Roger, but you appreciate where I'm coming from. This is from someone who was nearly arrested for 'jay-walking' in LA many years ago!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    It's was more "bloody self-righteous $%^£^%^" and "all cyclists are £^£$%^£&" kind of comments.

Very mixed reaction tbf - some supportive, some outraged, some more thoughtful "did the right thing, but what if he'd pulled out a knife / kicked off / run you down?"

I'd guess that these were from the kind that like to think that drink-driving is only 'technically' illegal.

I'd certainly think twice if it were me (approaching the driver, not the reporting bit), but that's mostly down to an awareness of my lack of physical presence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Good work Mr Burns
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Wallace1492
    spen666 wrote:
    Timely remark?
    Link

It was indeed intended as a pun.... Good on you Spen, first to pick it up!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    So the guy hadn't committed any offence (from a strictly legal POV), and you don't know if he was actually drunk (i.e. over the legal limit to drive) or not?

Not commenting on the rights/wrongs of your actions, but perhaps a little presumptive?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    May be correct, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to rile a guy drinking stella from a can behind the wheel of a car.

S'more dangerous than jumping red lights.

+1

Also I think you did behave like a tit, since you're up there what gradient is it exactly to the moral high ground?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wallace1492
    Monkeypump wrote:
    So the guy hadn't committed any offence (from a strictly legal POV), and you don't know if he was actually drunk (i.e. over the legal limit to drive) or not?

Not commenting on the rights/wrongs of your actions, but perhaps a little presumptive?

Come on!! So might not be strictly illegal.... but you need to question the integrity and outlook of someone that sups on a can of wife beater as they drive along. Diet coke it aint!

Incidentally then, drinking a can of diet coke is just as illegal as drinking wife beater, as both involve "losing" control of the car.