Longer ride kit

Comments

• I have just found this thread, it's quite helpful to me thanks.

I don't really do long weekend rides but aspire to...

I have had "issues" with all manner of pumps at the side of the road. On my commute in London all I need is to get to the end of my journey - track pump at both ends. Therefore C02 suits me perfectly.

There is no need for tyre levers. FACT!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I have just found this thread, it's quite helpful to me thanks.

I don't really do long weekend rides but aspire to...

I have had "issues" with all manner of pumps at the side of the road. On my commute in London all I need is to get to the end of my journey - track pump at both ends. Therefore C02 suits me perfectly.

I used to have a set of wheels of which the mechanic at Condor said had the "tightest rear rim he'd ever come across". FACT!

Saucy little beggar...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340

Try saying that when you attempt it with thumbs that have been broken twice in the past and also have damaged ligaments!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    LiT,

on keeping warm, I don't think even a microfleece will pack small enough. The velo jacket is a good start and I reckon if you add a buff (one of the thermal ones perhaps) and arm warmers then you'd be surprised how warm that keeps you. Apparently you lose quite a lot of heat through your wrists so covering those up helps (assume it's the big blood vessel near the surface). Also I have a very thin icebreaker merino beanie which packs incredibly small and is very warm. That might be a thought too.

On tools etc., if you ride anywhere flinty then it might be worth carrying a tyre boot. It's just a piece of rubber that you can put inside the tyre to cover a bad cut.

Re co2 inflators. I carry one of those canisters that has slime in it. The idea being that I can get away without fixing a small puncture at the roadside (in the rain, dark, when I'm knackered, natch). I carry a blackburn mini pump too which seems to do the trick (when I a) the puncture is too big for the slime b) I balls up changing a tube).

J
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i use a small saddle bag with keys, small lock. a multy tool plus levers and two tubes with a mini pump strapped to the outside. works fine, and i keep on my person my wallet and phone.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hmmmm, lots of interesting CO2 and pump related info here! I have to say, I'm liking the idea of the CO2 and normal combination pump someone posted earlier... but it looks rather big.

How big are the CO2 canisters? I'm guessing a little larger than the ones for my soda siphon at home.... but not much. What I'm thinking is that if I duck up with one then I can carry 2!

I don't really like the idea of carrying a pump.... and a backup pump. Seems excessive!

Also, thanks for the suggestions of the Montane Velo - that's what I have already, about as much use as a glass hammer for keeping you warm, but a great waterproof.

As for the chain links thing, apparently the chain tool you need for a 11sp chain is prohibitively expensive, and I should leave the chain well alone. But what's the tape for, tape carriers? And the zip ties? And the 'emergency 20p'? What emergency could be solved by a 20p?

@AT Why is there no magic piece of clothing? Why? *has tantrum*
  • jedster
    Montane Velo - that's what I have already, about as much use as a glass hammer for keeping you warm, but a great waterproof.

er, it's a great jacket but it's only really windproof and a little water repellant. Ride in proper rain and it wets out in half an hour.

J
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    And the 'emergency 20p'? What emergency could be solved by a 20p?

There are these boxes that are coin operated all over the place. They're like mobile phones only you can't carry them around with you. It used to be 10p, mind.
  • lost_in_thought
    jedster wrote:
    Montane Velo - that's what I have already, about as much use as a glass hammer for keeping you warm, but a great waterproof.

er, it's a great jacket but it's only really windproof and a little water repellant. Ride in proper rain and it wets out in half an hour.

J

To be fair to it, I find mine pretty waterproof, even in heavy rain it's kept me dry on my commute. I have to say, I carry it as an emergency waterproof: if I know it's going to be raining heavily I'll take something like the night-vision.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    How big are the CO2 canisters?

Bout the size of my thumb. Maybe a little bit bigger.

If you could see my thumb, this would be more helpful, I realise.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    nation wrote:

There are these boxes that are coin operated all over the place. They're like mobile phones only you can't carry them around with you. It used to be 10p, mind.

:lol::lol:

That didn't even enter my head. A better option (I find) is a thing called a BT Chargecard - that way if you forget your 20p and your mobile spontaneously combusts, you're still in contact with the rest of the world. As long as you can remember the number.
  • lost_in_thought
    Greg66 wrote:
    How big are the CO2 canisters?

Bout the size of my thumb. Maybe a little bit bigger.

If you could see my thumb, this would be more helpful, I realise.

It's OK, I have my own thumb. :D

So yeah, pretty small. I could definitely carry a few of those to allow for brain failures. CO2 it is then.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    nation wrote:

Are they the ones that reek of urine, and have receivers that aren't connected to anything? And have 10p stuck in the coin slot? :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jedster
    That didn't even enter my head

How annoyingly youthful you are. :(

I'm the wrong side of a generation gap here.

Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.

BTW - fair comment about the velo. I do the same. Put on my rapha softshell (which incidently is NOT a softshell at all) if I know its wet.

J
  • Feltup
    nation wrote:

I carry a pound for that use as 20p lasts approx 2 seconds when you have to call the other half on their mobile.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    Feltup wrote:
    nation wrote:

I carry a pound for that use as 20p lasts approx 2 seconds when you have to call the other half on their mobile.

Seriously, BT Chargecards are excellent. Bills your calls back to your landline. Don't have to carry the card if you can remember a long number.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I am sitting here at work wondering whether the CO2 is a waste gas from an anthropogenic source and thus whether cyclists are sequestering CO2 and saving the planet. But then said cyclists have punctures and release the gas, so the process does not have the required permanence to qualify for a clean development mechanism credit. Bum. :?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am sitting here at work wondering whether the CO2 is a waste gas from an anthropogenic source and thus whether cyclists are sequestering CO2 and saving the planet. But then said cyclists have punctures and release the gas, so the process does not have the required permanence to qualify for a clean development mechanism credit. Bum. :?

I always burn my punctured tyres and inners. Does that help? :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I always burn my punctured tyres and inners. Does that help? :twisted:

You're going straight to Hell...the deepest bit with Pol Pot and people of his ilk.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If possible, get a dual action - one that pumps when you push and pull - this will give you the chance of getting enough air into the tyre to enable you to ride with just about enough air.

Sample size of one, but my (Wrench Force, I think) mini pump is dual action and the problem is that pulling out is harder than pushing in! So although you get to say 50psi fairly swiftly, it's then nigh on impossible to get much above 60psi because the pulling action just becomes too hard.

Having said that, you can totally ride a road bike at 60psi, especially if it's just to get you home.
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    The tape and zip ties are for things that unexpectedly break and need fixing - you can repair a split tyre with a few strips of insulating tape or if you snap a break cable you can tie the two broken ends to a looped zip tie and still get home reasonably safely.

And someones mentioned the old phone boxes we still have 'round here in the midlands :wink: [/quote]
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    biondino wrote:
    If possible, get a dual action - one that pumps when you push and pull - this will give you the chance of getting enough air into the tyre to enable you to ride with just about enough air.

Sample size of one, but my (Wrench Force, I think) mini pump is dual action and the problem is that pulling out is harder than pushing in! So although you get to say 50psi fairly swiftly, it's then nigh on impossible to get much above 60psi because the pulling action just becomes too hard.

Having said that, you can totally ride a road bike at 60psi, especially if it's just to get you home.
    I'm a rower. I can barely bench press a dictionary, but I can pull the horns off a rhino. Dual action works for me - I think I got 90psi out of my aged blackburn pump once!!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    LIT...get some 10 speed chain links - at least it will get you home..... if a link splits, just remove with said multi-tool, fit 10 spd links and pedal home slowly....... the chain is toast anyway at this point. If worrying about catching, just drop into lowest gear.

I'd splash some cash on the Campag chain tool. TBH KMC etc will have an 11 speed chain out soon, with quick links, and a 'new tool'.........

I take out...

2 x tyre levers (Mich Pro Race are easy to get off/on)
    Small puncture kit.
    1 tube (2 in winter)
    Quality Multi tool with spoke key/chain tool etc....
    Couple of zip ties
    Chain Quick link
    Phone

Oh...A Blackburn Carbon Air Stick..... black carbon, with a red anodised metal shaft - would match your bike....
    :wink:
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    biondino wrote:

+1 had the wrench force it's dual action is rubbish - just replaced with lezyne pressure drive which is bliss in comparison - it only puts in a little air with each stroke but what matters is it doesn't lose anything between strokes & isn't going to damage the valve
  • lynseyf
    lynseyf Posts: 47
    Get a merino top. I get pretty hot when I'm cycling and used to get a bit shivery when I stopped but I stay a more even temperature now I wear amerino top.
  • i bought a pair of silk liner gloves ( about £8 ) for the winter to wear inside my heavier weight gloves, they've come in handy even now to keep me toasty for unexpected stops and i can wear them under my mitts if its chillier than i thought in the mornings...looks a wee bit odd but the rest of me looks odd. toasty but odd.
  • Feltup
    Feltup wrote:
    nation wrote:

Seriously, BT Chargecards are excellent. Bills your calls back to your landline. Don't have to carry the card if you can remember a long number.

I don't have a BT landline so I guess I will have to rely on the pound or credit card - ahh well.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    Hmmmmm, I do have a merino top somewhere... I bet that would scrunch down pretty small actually... good plan! With that and the velo windproof I may well be warmer!

As for the links, I don't ride anywhere remote enough that I can't get someone out to pick me up if my chain breaks...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Hmmmmm, I do have a merino top somewhere... I bet that would scrunch down pretty small actually... good plan! With that and the velo windproof I may well be warmer!

As for the links, I don't ride anywhere remote enough that I can't get someone out to pick me up if my chain breaks...

Yes, you don't need everything right away. I don't carry a chain tool or links on dry weather bike - I think the odds are small that I'll snap a chain. But on my comuter, which comes out in all weathers, I do. If you snap a chain, it can be a 5 min job to get back up and running, or a long wait/expensive taxi ride and an apology to the boss. I have a multi tool with one on.

You only have to be stranded on a remote road side with hypothermia a few times to learn the value of being able to even limp home, so depending on how/when you ride, it can seem worth having a belt, braces, a spare belt and a braces repair kit.
  • REF123
    REF123 Posts: 13
    As far as "air" is concerned I carry both a pump and CO2.
    CO2 when I've no time to dicker and a Crankbrothers Mini Pump (with gauge) if I blow it with the CO2, which has happened more than once.