Is there an embargo on Orange bikes?

1234568»

Comments

• Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    No i Dont surf, used to be known as bike boy as a youngster, was a bit of a street rider.

always meant to learnt but never got round to it, shame really llantwit is a great srf beach. now i dont want to look a plonker if i go to learn and dont live by the sea...

And martial arts are very transferable as you get better, most martial arts teach a good fight only last 2-3 strikes. but you practice for more.

but yeh i avoid trouble like the plague, martial arts taught me to run.. really fast hehe

Got to 4th in the UK for my weight (middle) in kickboxing which was okay. :oops:

Surf is good at Llantwit but quite a heavy local scene there.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    totally, if you were there maybe 8-10 yearsa ago and saw a lad tricking on a blue cannondale that was me lol
  • NeVeTaS
    NeVeTaS Posts: 14
    As a new orange owner guess I best read all this thread to see what I have let myself in for :lol::lol: :P
    '13 Enduro 29
    '13 Rockrider Big RR
    '08 Orange Five Pro - Sold
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Yeh, well watch out because I'm a crack shot and could nail any of you marshall art lot at 100 yards before you even had a chance to lift your foot off the floor. As for the army I'm not sure they could shoot straight if they tried - we gave them a good thrashing in a shooting comp. when I was a student.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • icarus
    icarus Posts: 89
    Yeh, well watch out because I'm a crack shot and could nail any of you marshall art lot at 100 yards before you even had a chance to lift your foot off the floor.

Which foot?
  • Matteeboy
    Yeh, well watch out because I'm a crack shot and could nail any of you marshall art lot at 100 yards before you even had a chance to lift your foot off the floor. As for the army I'm not sure they could shoot straight if they tried - we gave them a good thrashing in a shooting comp. when I was a student.

I managed 2nd in my last APWT - our scores were included in a massive shoot that included a large Welsh regiment - and yep, I was a student (in the OTC) at the time too! They hated it... :twisted:

Damn hard firing an SA80 while kneeling with a gas mask on.

• Thewaylander
    I hate guns, nothing good comes of them.

prefer a good booze up last man standing loses and has to pay the taxi and get everyone else home!
  • Matteeboy
    Waylander - well oddly enough, I'm not keen on them either.

Always worries me how gun freaks drool over a metal and plastic killing machine.

Just seemed to have a nack for shooting - but only paper targets at a range.
    Not fired a gun for about 9 years.

• icarus
    icarus Posts: 89
    Anyone claiming they are a huge fan of guns/rifles usually has some personality disorders.

Personally I dislike firing any weapon because it makes it dirty and you have to clean it afterwards. Shooting at people just generates paperwork, not worth the hassle if you can do it any other way.
  • Thewaylander
    my to learn list this year is rock climbing, looks like good fun though im scared of hights, but i will over come it!
  • Matteeboy
    Done a wee bit of rock climbing - some great cliffs down this way.
    Not enough to be any good at it but still enjoyed it.

We had to climb and abseil in Dartmoor without safety ropes for the Royal Marines POC - very bleeding scary. Safety ropes are good.

• Thewaylander
    yeh i thnk ropes are a wise addition to the climbing past time lol
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Eee oop you don't know what climbing is! When I were a lad in t'mornin'we had t'climb out t'gutter and down t'pit. In t'evening we had t'climb back out t'pit wi' half ton t'coal on our backs. Safety ropes? What they then lad? If we were lucky we got t'climb into bed before we had t'get opp t'next day.

And the equivalent in climbing circles of an Orange and BMW is probably a big Camelot or possibly some 5.10s.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    edited April 2008
    Orange bikes are pretty cool. Sure the standard spec can be a bit poverty, but you can change it all, that's half the fun. I hate to think how much my evo has cost me in the last year.
  • shin0r
    true enough, i like that plan, but i still cant get over the fact i'd have owned a BMW at some point and would have to hatemyself for next 40 years for it. its almost as bad as owning a merc...(bet i put my foot in it now hehe)

Why is owning either of these cars a bad thing?
  • shin0r
    Matteeboy wrote:

Are you actually FOR REAL?!! :lol: :shock:
    It's not like you have an M3/5/6 or anything. You have an ugly, dull family saloon car that weighs WAY too much and is stupidly overpriced.
    A Mondeo will do everything better - it's much lighter, it handles better, it's better made.

You'll actually find that those with proper money don't feel the need to buy some pseudo premium tin box to try and show everyone they have made it (if image is so important, then small engined BMWs say "failed middle manager" to me).
    Well sorry but I know people with serious money who drive old barges quite happily. .

Honestly, you are making BMW drivers look even worse - stop right now. Leave it.
    It can't get any worse. Then come back when you have a proper BMW and then tell us a bit about it - it might be a bit more interesting than justifying an overpriced yawn box and telling everyone how successful you are.

I'd take an Impreza or Type R Honda over a 320 zzzZZzzzz any day - apart from anything else, they are MUCH quicker.

You should remove that chip on your shoulder, it might make you ride faster :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    So you own a BMW then? Usual balanced debate then?

This is just for you:

Image removed

Seems that other feel the same too. :lol:

I like "proper" BMWs - the ones with proper engines (driven plenty), but why is it that every time some aggro muppet is up my backside desperately trying to overtake to gain one "place" in a row of cars, it's nearly always a small engined BMW driver.
  • shin0r
    Yeah, currently an e60 535d. Before that an e46 M3, before that an e46 330d and before that numerous other cars including a Golf , a Scooby, an Evo, a ford fiesta, a renault 5, a rover 214, a Metro, and even a Transit van. Of all the cars the 535d is by far the best all-rounder.

I'm still the same person I was when I had my Metro. It was a cool car.

You seem to suffer from BMW envy - I used to suffer from this too. I must admit I used to think that all BMW owners were w***ers and the cars were vastly overrated. Until I took a drive in a 330d, and then everything changed - the whole package is fantastic. There's a reason lots of people want a BMW, they really are great cars. The best cure for your affliction is to get one :)

I kind of agree with you about the "typical" 318 drivers, they do seem to bomb round at vmax everywhere and drive aggressively, often with little thought about road safety or courtesy. This sort of behaviour gives the brand a bad name, but please don't tar us all with the same brush. For 318 money I'd probably get decent-spec Golf instead, but that's just me; people are free to do what they like with their money.

I don't know why you have to stoop to posting an image of a dog mounting a chicken; I guess it's a reflection on your personality, but hey ho.

Shi
  • Surf-Matt
    Cool - you have a decent BMW (my inlaws had a 535d - it was great but had to be returned when the ECU died). It's not BMW envy - I'd rather have a proper engined Mondeo than a 318/320.

You see it's not about the badge, it's about the car itself. Badge snobs are cretins.

No idea what the dog/chicken thing pic thing is about.

Oh and I chose an R32 Golf over a 330i - bit lighter, preferred the 4WD and it was a bit quicker too. But I still liked the 330i a lot.

And I tested a 750i (latest one) for a national newspaper - again very good indeed.

I might get a 335d Touring soon - that's how much I "hate" BMWs. But I'd never ever think anyone was envious of it - that's what makes BMW drivers look silly you see.
  • shin0r
    Yeah the mkiv r32 was (is) a great car, not so sure about the mkv, I think VW lost their way a bit.

335D touring - awesome car - let Bird's give it some magic and they're something like 330bhp and 440lbft of torque!
  • shin0r
    Anyway, back to the subject of Mountain Bikes - I'm in the market for a new frame this summer.

Orange 5
    or
    On-one Ti 456

Decisions decisions...
  • Thewaylander
    on-one
  • Surf-Matt
    Seconded - on-one looks superb.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    shin0r wrote:
    Anyway, back to the subject of Mountain Bikes - I'm in the market for a new frame this summer.

Orange 5
    or
    On-one Ti 456

Decisions decisions...
    Completely different bikes, do you want a hardtail, or a full susser? (admittedly both are nice, I have a 5 at home :D & I know a 456Ti owner, but it's not as nice as a Litespeed Obed ;) )
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    shin0r wrote:

Orange 5
    or
    On-one Ti 456

Decisions decisions...

The simple answer is try them both and take it from there.