Is there an embargo on Orange bikes?

Comments

• Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    I do touch other bikes, just when your parents know that this bike is better than a steel giant (in their bad days) you follow their advice.

It also so happens that the shops near us are specialized dealers.

But i'm getting a commencal next week, and there is a kona (similar to specialized though)as well. So we are not branded just chose the best bikes for our budget, Two Rockhoppers, Two Hardocks, 1 Stumpjumper FSR oh and i forgot 24 inch wheel kids rockhopper. Also really expensive bikes are silly in bristol. The stumpjumper and kona got nicked from mudock after being locked up, on a saturday in the middle of the day. So normal ( boring? ) bikes are less likely to attract attention. Thank god for insurance though. :D
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I'm in Bristol - if I'm planning on locking my bike up anywhere I take '79 Peugeot PX10 :lol:
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Yeah i take my Dads Steel Saracen with canti brakes and cattleprod forks, slick tyres.
    The only thing is, i try my hand at street riding on it and my wrists hurt, only because i get bored.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I too love my hand built tractor, nice one Marika

Zero you wernt the only one i bought my wife and daughter a
    Spez RockHopper

Zero whats happened to Pcplace has he taken his 5 to bed???
  • zero303
    Maybe he's still out on it... LOL

I'm bought my wife a Myka FSR Expert - seriously the shiniest bike I've ever seen - she tries hard to get it plastered in mud but it just plain doesn't stick with all that lacquer!!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Mc Smiley wrote:
    the stumpjumper FSR does climb slow

Only the new ones, they haven't always had such a crazy slack head angle. I think it's just because they've got the Epic covering that spot in the market, it's more of a trail bike.

Demo'd a Trance X this weekend, hoping it would knock the Orange 5 off the top spot, hated the thing, really short squat frame, huge stem, all very high feeling though. Somewhere in between my FSR XC and a unicycle. For all my bitching I do still want an Orange 5. Wish these other demo bikes wold pick sensible finishing gear, 5" trail bike with a 120mm stem and a zero layback saddle. I wasn't impressed.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Try a Meta 5.5.2 or 5.5.1!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • toasty
    I've just spotted a nearby Commencal dealer I didn't know about, going to see if he's got any demo bikes kicking about at lunch I think :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    You'll always pay more for a boutique brand than one of the big boys, and some boutiques will be more expensive than others. Orange just won't have the clout to get the best deals on equipment from other manufacturers and combining this with the expense of making most of the frames in the UK, it's little wonder that they'll seem pricey/under-specced compared with most bikes in the same category.

Some people will (and do) consider the ride/built in the UK status a justification for the cost, others will take a (perhaps) more pragmatic view and look to get "more bike for their money" elsewhere.

Personally, I'm lusting after an Orange 5 Pro and hoping to have the cash to make that happen around the time the '09 models become available. At the same time part of me realises that I can get a bike with equivalent or better spec for £200-300 less. A case of my heart saying Orange and my brain saying better value? I think so. It's almost time to see which wins out.
  • Father Faff
    Go with your heart!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Go with your heart!

I agree

when you a spending a load of hard earn't - you don't want to be thinking 'what if' or 'should I have got the other' etc............every time you ride it.

Touble is whatever you get - you can bet your your bottom dollar that something will pop up say 3-6 months later that you wish you had bought instead!!!! well at least it always does with me.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    What a load of rubbish this thread is. I like orange bikes, so I buy them simple. Testing a Patriot and an SX trail, the Patriot was the no brainer in my opinion.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To be honest, i always wanted an orange, then i got one and hated it after having it for a time. test rode the single pivot design 5, it was really not that good in my view compared to other brands.

And claim all you want but big names, Trek, Spec and all have far far more R&D money which filters down, Oranges really haven't changed much in years and it felt it when i tried them.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    You are wrong when it comes to the Patriot. My mates 02 feels like you're jumping a double decker bus compared to my 06 one which airs no bother.
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    A few observations:

1)Most of the Orange owners on this thread remind of BMW 318/320i or d drivers.
    They think they own something special, they think they are a little bit superior, they like to think they have more money than anyone else.
    Yet a Ford Mondeo is a better drive and heaps better value for money :lol:

2)There is genuine brand contempt for no other reason than a hatred of anything mainstream and good VFM.

3)Most here appear to be adults yet are arguing like ten year olds arguing over whether a PS3 is better than an Xbox.

4)This looks very bad to anyone new to the scene who is after advice and/or help as some of the posters here are regulars and probably good riders.

5)Most of the antagonists must be very short because there is a massive dose of "small man syndrome" going on here.

6)Those who spend most of their lives agonising over the best kit usually can't ride very well.

7)If someone doesn't like my brand of bike/car/surfboard/ski boat/whatever then so be it - they can buy whatever they want - but I don't care. That's the beauty of a free market.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Father Faff
    There's some elitist thinking going on this is true but on the whole most people who own an Orange do appreciate how good some of their models are in the handling dept., that's why they are prepared to spend a bit more. They are also designed in the UK for our fantastically horrible riding conditions like peat bogs, mud, rain, heather, snow, etc. I've got an Orange P7 and a Commencal Meta 5 so I have no particular brand loyalty and it's the frame/suspension handling qualities I'm after in a bike (though I still wouldn't buy a Spesh! :wink: ).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Matteeboy
    Not wanting to get into a debate on it, but why the contempt for "Spesh?"

Are you perhaps too "special" a rider for that mainstream brand?
    Would it label you as a "normal" rider rather than one who wants to shout "I'm different and a little bit better than you all"

I like loads of brands - some do one type of bike particularly well, others seem to be pretty good at everything.

What you are so desperate to convey is that Orange riders are a little bit above any other riders.They have more specific requirements because they are a breed above "normal" riders. They feel they need to spend a bit more letting everyone else know how they are that little bit better.

Well if that's what Orange ownership it about, then I'm never going to look at one. So not the best bit of "promotion" there.,

I surf to a pretty high level - there are loads of brands of board around. I'm loyal to a local shaper and he shapes me the exact boards I need. Do I mock anyone that gets a more mainstream brand of board? No I don't. I just surf on mine and have fun, not giving a stuff what my board "says" about me. Same with the bikes.

This thread raises a really dark side of MTBing - a side that's nothing but destructive to the sport.

• zero303
    Talk about Drama!!!

The Dark side of MTBing has risen, caused by a handful of Orange owners on an internet forum getting all elitest! MTBing has survived over a decade of supposed Cannondale Snobbery, I think it can survive this...
  • Father Faff
    I'm not sure Matteeboy can survive being wound up! No sense of humour that boy. Nothing wrong with Spesh's, very good bikes, but the owner's can get a bit precious so are dead easy to wind up.

Personally I've got no particular brand allegiances - I've got a Trek, a Scott, an Orange, and a Commencal, admittedly no Spesh. The main thing they have in common is that they were bought from my LBS (or in one case a neighbour) at the time hence supporting my local community.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Matteeboy
    Father - not wound up at all - just disappointed.

Oh and all mine are bought from my LBS too (which has changed as I have moved about) as are all my items - only time I don't buy from them is if they don't have what I'm after.

Don't care about brands - I just happen to think Specialized are good value and are the main brand stocked locally.

If it was Trek, Scott, Orange, whatever, I'd probably have them instead.

Now don't try and pull the wool over our eyes - you were pulling the brand snob card big time in several posts.

• norco forever
    norco forever Posts: 1,177
    i'm 18 and i think i'm more mature than the lot of you, i've had a n orange a norco a giant and now a 24/7 it DOESN'T MATTER what you ride as long as the bike your riding does what you want and need, all companies have good and bad points thats life but why argue like this??????????? just ride your bike weather it be apollo or santa cruz just ride. :evil:
    If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom
  • Matteeboy
    Norco - errrrm, that's exactly my point....

• norco forever
    fair enough just thought i would realliterate said point as this thread as amusingas it is, is pathetic.

• Matteeboy
    Just to make sure you realise I'm a pedantic old git it's...

"reiterate (!)" :wink:

Agree with your sentiment though. :D

• Why do people keep banging on about things being British built (and by association,superior)?
    Where was your car built?Your Stereo?TV?Computer?Games Console?

In answer to the question in post #1,when I was asking around for recommendations/ideas there were plenty of Orange bikes mentioned here,so nobody's against them as such.Possibly there's just less Orange owners on here than other brands.
    There are a couple of people who seem very emphatic that Orange are the only way to go,but that's just their opinion.We all have those..
    Nobody wants to spend a large amount of money on a bike and then admit that there may be better specced or riding bikes for the same cash,so therefore people tend to recommend what they have as being the ultimate.

I considered an Orange but decided it wasn't for me.Doesn't mean it was any better or worse than anything else,Just didn't fancy it for some reason.
    Just buy what you want,sod what other people may think.
    If any Orange rider ever looks down his nose at my bike or tries to tell me why Orange are 'the One',he'll be talking to my back as I'm riding away.
    On the other hand,I won't be looking down on him for riding an Orange because that's what he wants to ride.Fairymuff,happiness all round.

Now I'm off to place a shield around the pivots on my Commencal before they explode and tear a chunk out of something :roll:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • norco forever
    Matteeboy
    fair point lol
    but oh well i had the right idea. :roll:

• Father Faff
    Now don't try and pull the wool over our eyes - you were pulling the brand snob card big time in several posts.
    Matteboy said.

Now Mattee my dear you misrepresent me - my first post if you bother to read it is saying "Each to their own" and further threads recommend the Commencal. It certainly doesn't say Orange is better than everything else! However I did play devil's advocate by saying jokingly "but I'll never buy a Spesh" because I know it elicits such a wonderful reaction from Spesh owners who clearly have a slight complex - I mean no one ever says "But I'll never buy a Giant" or "I'll never buy a Trek" which are both equally good brands. Why Spesh owners get a bit Speshial I'm not sure but there you go! Maybe Spesh is just seen as the ubiquitous Ford of bicycles.

And anyway when you're my age you want to engage in infantile banter.....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • toasty
    One thing I don't like, this "value for money" token that gets tagged on. On most things in life this means inferior. Value for money baked beans aren't as good as Heinz.

I don't like the assumption that bike frames follow the same routine. If you removed the brain from a Stumpjumper, lowered the spec, added a bit of weight, charged more but changed the wheelbase, top tube, head/seat angled, bb position to that of an Orange, would it make it a better bike? Or are we saying the better welding technique is the important thing in a good bike?

My old Enduro lasted 7 years, I flogged it on ebay and to the best of my knowledge it's still alive now. The shock bearings were changed once, as you'd expect but aside from that it was as tough as nails. The odd dodgy jump to flat, killed its wheelset, bend a set of cranks, it cared not! It weighed about 30lbs and was the bottom of the line, similar sort of trail bike.

By the way, went and had a look at the Commencal 55 today as suggested, absolutely loved it :) Truth be known it reminded me very stongly of the Orange 5 in length, height, weight, ride position. Sadly no where around here does proper demo days so I might just have to take a blind plunge and hope it's what it feels like when sat in the shop!
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Wow.. a shrink would have a field day on this thread, reading between the lines what people have written! Fantastic!
    Matteeboy, I think your inductive reasoning has gone abit wild with your seven points earlier. Indeed, point seven is probably the only point I would agree on.. and what's more I don't own an Orange bike!

But then again.. I'm cranky tonight as I haven't had a chance to go out on my bike!
  • Matteeboy wrote:
    A few observations:

1)Most of the Orange owners on this thread remind of BMW 318/320i or d drivers.
    They think they own something special, they think they are a little bit superior, they like to think they have more money than anyone else.
    Yet a Ford Mondeo is a better drive and heaps better value for money :lol:

2)There is genuine brand contempt for no other reason than a hatred of anything mainstream and good VFM.

3)Most here appear to be adults yet are arguing like ten year olds arguing over whether a PS3 is better than an Xbox.

4)This looks very bad to anyone new to the scene who is after advice and/or help as some of the posters here are regulars and probably good riders.

5)Most of the antagonists must be very short because there is a massive dose of "small man syndrome" going on here.

6)Those who spend most of their lives agonising over the best kit usually can't ride very well.

7)If someone doesn't like my brand of bike/car/surfboard/ski boat/whatever then so be it - they can buy whatever they want - but I don't care. That's the beauty of a free market.

Well.. I drive a Mondeo, I agree it is a great drive.

I recently bought a new mountain bike. Had a budget of £500 - so I bought a 2007 Orange G2 and I love it. yes the spec is reasonably low but it does ride very well and is a huge improvement on my 8 year old Giant boulder! :P