Surrey Hills - Guildford

Comments

• Kestrel_daos
    Kestrel_daos Posts: 932
    Wolf, I see what you mean about a confused drivetrain! I'm running an LX front and it's never let me down even in the mud - I still have no idea what the difference can be between front mechs, surely they're just bits of metal that move horizontally?!

My drivetrain was originally a bit confused too, but I'm currently running pretty much all LX save for a (every-so-slightly bent) rear XT. It seems to have bedded in nicely! I'm very glad I upgraded to octalink from ISIS (did you ever manage to sell your BB Mike?).

I'm running steel OEM nevegal rear, and bluegroove front, and man do they drag so much. How are you finding your folding blue groove Mike?

<font color="blue">Giant XTC SX '06</font id="blue">
  • Wolf
    Wolf Posts: 989
    Tyres are the best œ40 upgrade ever. Go for it.

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    Yeh, I think I might go for it. A œ35 Nobby Nic for 30euros followed by a œ20 Conti Speedking for 20Euros on the rear. Might have to be after the exams though, or I'll get far too distracted.

• Wolf
    I had to leave my bike in the shed for a month during my accountancy ones... bloody nightmare [:(]

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    Any of you lot fancy a ride starting in the next 15 minutes?

(short notice I know!)

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kestrel_daos</i>

(short notice I know!)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Doh! bloody work and living an hours drive away [:(!]

How about this weekend?

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font face="Trebuchet MS">Handsome Ransom | Chillin' in the Chilterns
    Just ride til something breaks. Then replace it!</font id="Trebuchet MS"></center>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kestrel_daos</i>

(short notice I know!)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> B.llocks[:(!] If I'd seen this post earlier, I would have definitely been up for a ride!

Bikes

XTC frame - see classifieds

. (did you ever manage to sell your BB Mike?).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> No luck. It's still on the frame (see below)<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm running steel OEM nevegal rear, and bluegroove front, and man do they drag so much. How are you finding your folding blue groove Mike?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I find it a very good combination, Matt. The folding BGs are much lighter than the ones that came with my XTC. As the Nevegals were too big for the back of the Blur, the LBS put a Conti Explorer on, and the whole bike runs better than the XTC did.

Bikes

• Kestrel_daos
    Sorry to hear about not getting rid of the BB Mike - I feel a bit guilty about pulling out at the last minute. I hope that your frame sells though, since it really is an excellent frame. Do you know if they use the same frame throughout the XTC series, or if they get better further up the range?

Yeh, sorry about the short notice on the ride. I'd just finished revising/browsing the forum and say that for once it wasn't raining. Sadly it is pretty soggy out there, and I definitely noticed how much harder work it was than last week (or maybe it was because I was running rubbish flats today, due to lost cleat screw). On Wolf's recommendation I illegally attempted the Silent Pool hill - it was slippery all the way down, full of gullies (just what I dislike the most), and involved a very long walk back up! Certainly a technical downhill (including removing branches from face/wheel and thorns from wheel), but probably left for the dry season.

I'm generally reasonably flexible about rides, although I can only rarely get across to Holmbury. If I'm going to go for a local one, I'll post up one here - although I suspect most of you are at work when I'm normally out. Davydesign - sadly not up for a cycle this Weekend, although I might do a spur of the moment one - since I've a busy weekend and oh so many exams the next week.

I did see a tall guy with glasses (yes, rather generic description) riding a Gt Avalanche 1.0 near the Silent Pool turn off. Presumeably not you Wolf, since you've retired the GT?

• Wolf
    Nah, I was at home watching telly [:D]. I had to admit that path can be pretty tricky, sorry you didn't find it in the best of conditions. I will certainly be up for a ride this weekend, but not too sure where and when yet. Will probably wait for tomorrow to make a decision depending on weather and further plans for the weekend (i.e. drinking... [:D])

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07

Sorry to hear about not getting rid of the BB Mike - I feel a bit guilty about pulling out at the last minute. I hope that your frame sells though, since it really is an excellent frame. Do you know if they use the same frame throughout the XTC series, or if they get better further up the range?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Don't worry about that, Matt. I've probably more chance of selling it with the BB attached. It is not the same frame as the others. It is the top of the Aluminium range and was even sold by Giant as a frameset alone. It will make a good upgrade for someone [:)] May have to lower the price, though [:(]

Bikes

• Matt, thanks for the tips about the North Downs routes. I did the one down to Shere recreation ground last week (the bridleway, not the byway), but also found another one down to Shere. It starts just a few hundred yards past the track down to the Silent Pool, and is a really nice downhill. It emerges at Coombe Lane, just before the A25 crossing.

I went that way yesterday morning on my way to the Major's, and from there we went up to Winterfold. Apart from the byway just the other side of the railway track, it's a great climb up to the top with amazing views from Winterfold Hill. We then came back down across Pitch Hill to Peaslake and back to Shere.

Managed the climb back up to the NDW (along the same bridleway as mentioned above), but it was hard work [B)]

Cheers

Mike.

PS. Major - I haven't forgotten those stinging nettles [:(!]

Bikes

• Wolf
    God I hate nettles... And I can't ride with long trousers either as I overheat... Always get back home with itching hands and legs... I had a nice ride on the usual St Marthas, Newlands Corner, Blackheath, Guildford loop myself...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    majorbloodnock Posts: 3,255
    Pah. They were only babies, Mike. Not like they were being serious or anything - just being playful [;)].

I must admit I tend to ignore nettles these days, since with the trails as they are in Summer around my neck of the woods I have little choice.

Going off at a tangent, though, did you manage to upload your pictures of the Winterfold view, Mike?

Semper in excretia; sumus solum profundum variat
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by majorbloodnock</i>

Pah. They were only babies, Mike. Not like they were being serious or anything - just being playful [;)].<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Ha! I wouldn't like to ride through them when they're angry, then Major [:D]

Not had a chance to upload yet, but will do soon. Shame I didn't get one of our local guitar hero!

Edit : A couple of photos uploaded .

Bikes

• Kestrel_daos
    Nice pics Mike. That Scandal looks delicious!

• I found the downhill from Newlands corner to Silent Pool while I was having an explore yesterday...

One *slight* error of judgement: I was starting at Silent Pool and going to Newlands Corner... Sweet baby jeebus that is a long steep climb - inner ring all the way!

So now I know to go St Martha's, Newlands Corner, Silent Pool and back to St Martha's rather than the opposite!
  • Wolf
    Good man! Once I went down that path, and then decided it would be a good idea to ride (or walk, most of the tricky bits...) back up and do it again. Bad idea! Totally knackered me! Happy you are enjoying the sport truespin. I am off for a ride tonight if not going for a beer with a luvely German lady. Win/win situation, from where I stand [:D]

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
  • I just fancied an explore and the weather was lovely so didn't use a map - just relied on my sense of direction, local knowledge and a vague understanding that I would go in a circle if I visited the three places mentioned : )

Silent Pool is beautiful - odd that I'd never been there when I used to live just up the road in Gomshall...

I did have to stop for a rest twice and there were a couple of points where keeping the front wheel anywhere near the ground was proving to be near impossible! Am planning to do the reverse journey on Sat.

Think I'm gonna enjoy this sport :)

Good luck with the frauline/riding tonight [;)]
  • Wolf
    Frauline said she can't do it tonight [:(]

But she can do tomorrow! Result! Riding tonight, Freuline tomorrow! Then riding Saturday, BBQ Sunday! hhhmmm, good couple of days me thinks...

yeah, silent pool is a nice place to stop for a minute until the legs stop shaking and the heart beating! Full of interesting flora and fauna...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    Ooh, the other day I discovered the Sheepleas and Effingham forest. It was really beautiful and unbelievably deserted! Effingham forest does seem to have some good technical descents too!

• Wolf
    That's north of Shere, isn't it? I still can't be bothered to cycle that far on my own as I get bored, but might try it out when I am with my mate...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    Can't be bothered to cycle that far. Hehe, that's a good 'un. When you cycle on your own, do you only do short blasts etc?

• Wolf
    Yeah, probably 1.5 hours during the week, max of 3 on weekends. Get bored after that long, TBH...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07

Ooh, the other day I discovered the Sheepleas and Effingham forest. It was really beautiful and unbelievably deserted! Effingham forest does seem to have some good technical descents too!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes, I was out in the Sheepleas on Tuesday evening, Matt. Up to Newlands, along the ridge, then there's a downhill bridleway to the woods.

I crossed the A246, then went down to Ripley, East Clandon and back across the fields to Merrow. Really nice 17-mile trip. Virtually all off-road.

Bikes
  • Could anyone recommend an alternative route (other than the not particularly fun, narrow and steep downhill straight into Silent Pool) to help me finish off the circuit I've done a few times - starting at St Martha's to Newlands corner to Silent Pool and then back to St Martha's.

I didn't particularly enjoy the footpath descent and thought there must be a more pleasant way down that lovely big hill [:)]
  • Kestrel_daos
    Truespin, there are really two options here. When riding from Newlands corner out along the North Downs way, take the sharp back right hand turn a few hundred metres BEFORE the Silent pool turn. THis leads down a rather poorly-used track, which is quite fun, but might involve a bit of wall-riding on the side to get around sticks etc. This path then comes out on the main road, and you cross straight over onto a very narrow and twisty (but flat) path with LOTS of stinging nettles. This eventually comes out at a house and you turn right down a nice gentle downhill bridlway, which comes out at the bottom of water lane. From here you can go left then almost immediately right up a short sharp hill. Follow this for a fair while - it's generally uphill and VERY sandy in places. It'll come out at the St Martha's car park. Personally, I dislike this route and wouldn't recommend it.

However, the second route, which is slightly longer, is much better. From Newlands Corner, continue along the North Downs way past the silent pool turn off. You can take pretty much any of the bridleways afterward on the right (they're fairly well spaced), which will all lead out to someone in Shere. It's quite hard to describe from here, so I'd recommend checking a map. Howver, you can generally take bridlepaths to Albury, before cycling up Guildford Lane and back to St Marthas. I'd personally not go up Guildford lane, but continue West through Blackheath, and then head up Halfpenny Lane or East Shalford Lane. Taking the Downs Link UP St Marthas is not recommended, as it's very rocky.

Right, sorry, bit of a wadge of paragraph there. Decipher if you can [;)]

• Actually that's superb [:D]
    I kinda suspected I should just take one of the bridleways after that silent pool one...

I used to live in Gomshall so I know a fair few footpaths around Shere and I've got a pretty sharp sense of direction so can normally muddle my way round.

My buddy lives just off halfpenny lane so I'll probably do that route and grab a cold beer after my ride [;)]

This might sound weird but I'm trying to stay away from maps at the moment - want to feel my way around and explore a bit first. I love the feeling of not *knowing* where you are but still getting to your destination [:)]

I did the end you your first route last time and didn't enjoy it that much - far too much sand!
  • DSA244
    DSA244 Posts: 66
    Does anyone have a link for the St Marthas, newlands Corner, Silent Pool, Blackheath route for memory map or something. I have never been that way, so an idea of which tracks would be helpful. I do most my riding around peasake area, so a change would be good.

Thanks
  • Kestrel_daos
    I sadly don't. I can get you a QUO file if you like, but that's probably not mem map compatible. To be honest, I'd park up at Newlands Corner or St Marthas and just explore. There isn't such a density or excitement of paths as at peaslake, but it's pretty good for just roaming.