Surrey Hills - Guildford

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Routes
I had a little explore around St Martha's in Guildford last week (my friend lives very near by) and had a fun time but was wondering whether anyone could suggest any nice routes around this area..?

Comments

• Kestrel_daos
    Kestrel_daos Posts: 932
    Truespin,

"Most" of the Guildford/Surrey based riders seem to take their bikes across to Peaslake/Holmbruy St Mary, as there is some truly excellent riding across there, with quite a few "named" trails, and a couple of man-built trails.

Sadly, as I haven't yet learned to drive, I can't get a lift across there, so I make the most of the cycling around the areas closer to Guildford. There certainly ISN'T such a density of great trails (compared to Peaslake), but I find it much better for exploring and just being outside, rather than going to a specific place to ride specific trails.

Pretty much everywhere is great to explore. The North Downs / St Marthas, Blackheath, Witley Common etc are all great. Be warned that as you head West the trails seem to get sandier in my experience. Do give me a mail if you'd like a suggestion for routes / any specific bridlepaths to ignore.

If you do fancy a cycle around the area, feel free to give me a mail, as long as you don't mind that I'm only 17. However, if you'd prefer the Surrey lot to guide you around Peaslake/Holmbury, just post on the "Surrey" thread in the Riding section of the forum, as I'm sure there will be a group ride sometime soon.

<font color="blue">Giant XTC SX '06</font id="blue">
  • Yeah, I might well do that. Am buying a new bike next week so will be itching to explore :)
    I'll need to get my fitness levels up somewhat first but don't think it'll take me too long.

I can ride to st martha's from my house in about 15 or 20 minutes so I'll probably be playing around up there for a while getting used to the bike and finding my feet before putting the bike in the car and going anywhere else more exciting... but other places around guildford sounds good too :)

I noticed the deep sand - my legs still hate me for it!
  • Kestrel_daos
    St Marthas is definitely a good place to explore. There are quite a few paths dotted around there which aren't marked on the map. Do be warned that if you are pelting down St Marthas, some of the routes down do have quite large dirt jumps that kids have built, so watch out!

One of my favourite routes down St marthas: Start from Halfpenny lane, and go to the top of ST marthas, then around the church and straight down the other side. Take the first right, and you'll come onto a relatively gullied bridlepath which is INCREDIBLY bumpy due to loads of bricks and rubble. This leads down the the Main Dorking road. You go straight across here, and up a rather sandy path to Blackheath.

Have you decided on what bike you're going to get? Where abouts do you live? - Merrow / Charlottville I would guess if you can get to St marthas that quickly.

• I've pretty much decided on the spesh hardrock sport disk '06 - have found one in croydon for a shade over œ300 :)
    I'm trying to get Friday off work so I can go to the store and finally buy her...

I live near the top of the high street so it's no distance up to st marthas (and as I say my, friend lives very close so he can furnish me with a cold beer for after riding :)

yeah, I got caught out by one of those jumps last week - *just* got away with it though :)
  • Kestrel_daos
    Ah good luck with your new bike! I know that many people on here would advise against it as it's pretty heavy - but if it feels right, then that's all that really matters! It can certainly take a battering!!

I remember my first time going down st marthas, and seeing one of the jumps. I just managed to avoid it, but ended up going into the pit (which they'd dug all the sand out of for the jump) right next to it. ow!

• I've certainly heard quite mixed reviews of the hardrock - but all are unanimous in saying it's strong!

It was the one bike I rode that really felt 'right' so am running with that :)
    I'll give you a shout once I'm up and running - or if you see a shiney new grey hardrock wobbling around come say hi ;)
  • Kestrel_daos
    Great, I'd love to come and see the bike and go for a ride. My first proper bike was an 05 Hardrock XC which I dearly loved. Now I've got a 06 Giant XTC SX - the temptation of racy geometry and disc brakes was too much.

So yeh, if you see someone cruising around in a really ugly muck green XTC with a blue Giro helmet, then give me a wave.

• Wolf
    Wolf Posts: 989
    I spent this Saturday playing at St Marthas. It has more trails than I thought! Coming down on the left (after the church) it has all them scary jumps, on the centre there is a nice quick trail that can be riden very fast if you know how it goes, and on the right there is that rocky downhill Kestrel mentions. God I hate that trail, it is just incredible how shaken it leaves you! Many nice routes to continue from there. You can ride to newlands corner and then to the blackheath area (around Albury). I recommend the downhill that ends in Silent Pool if you are up for something scary!

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07

My buddy was telling me about silent pool - I remember him saying something about a very steep climb on the way out...

I used to live out in Gomshall and from memory there should be some nice riding out that way too...
  • Kestrel_daos
    ^Haven't been down to silent pool before. Is it just a dead end off the NorthDowns way, or can you ride through?

Is the rocky downhill I was talking about still shaky on a full susser Wolf? (imagine how I feel on an XC racy bike [;)]).

I've lost count of the random trails around St Ms. Near the jumps someone has carved a pretty nice berm in the dirt there, although it sorta leads you into a mega-jump. Another great downhill is coming off the north downs and going down to Shere. If you're coming from the newlands Corner direction, it's the bridleway on the right a couple of hundred metres from the first byway. It really is ace, but watch out for some of the drop offs!

• Wolf
    You mean the one on the hill with the abandoned tower on top? If that is the one, I have to admit I love it! Almost killed myself down there last month, but it is a luvely downhill.

I have a racey XC bike too mate, the rocky downhill is even worse than with my GT! SHakes the hell out of me...

To get to the downhill at silent pool, you have to get to newlands corner, cross the road and continue east through the flat quick trail there is, and it is one of the exits on the right hand side... I think the second one, but can't remember... A map would surely help [;)]
    I am actually thinking of going there today, but I'll probably stick to XC stuff and avoid scary downhills as I am going alone and don't want to spend the night in the middle of the woods with a broken leg [:D]

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    ^ah sorry. I was under the impression that you'd gone the full suss route, which really does show my utter lack of knowledge about Marin brands.!

I honestly can't remember if its the one with the tower at the top - all a blur!

All i do remember is that it is ever so rooty and rocky, and that its so much better than the rutted chalky byway that comes out in the same place in Shere.

• Wolf
    Sorry, talking about two different hills! I thought you meant Shalford, and not Shere!

http://www.marin.co.uk/marin-2007/biked ... ModNo=3747

[;)]

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    At least the weather has cheered up...

Are local OS maps available anywhere online or should I just buy one?
    Or is there a cunning 'Good places to ride in Surrey Hills' website with maps that I've not yet found?
  • Kestrel_daos
    Ah yeh, I think you mean Chinthurst hill possibly? The Shere hill is just so ridiculously big that after coming down it, I'd never contemplate going up again.

Your Marin looks very nice. mmm Fox forks...

• A lot of good rides from Newlands Corner. I regularly ride up to NC, then cross the main road and go along the NDW for a bit. Then either off to Ranmore Common, or South down to Colekitchen Farm and around Shere and Albury and back, or North, down to the Sheepleas.

I haven't tried the route down to the Silent Pool yet (thought this was just a footpath [?]) or the Byway down to Shere. Is this the one that emerges at the Recreation Ground?

Matt, you're right about Chinthurst Hill. I've done a ride from the other side (Bramley) up over Chinthurst then back to Newlands, and there is one particularly hairy downhill bit from Chinthurst [B)] Nearly came off there!.

I wonder if I've ever passed either you or Wolf or any of the others. I've certainly passed a few MTBers on these routes. If you see an old git on a Black Santa Cruz Blur, then do feel free to ask if it's me [:)]

Mike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58583241@N00/
  • Kestrel_daos
    Mike, you're right about the byway. It is the one that comes out by the recreation ground. I used to go down there quite a bit till a mate showed me the bridleway just before (which also comes out at the rec).

The path down to Silent Pool is technically a footpath. I'm not generally an illegal trail user, except for one of the paths down St Marthas which comes out near some lakes on the Dorking road (very good downhill!).

Don't think I will have ever passed you Mike. If I'd seen a Giant XTC I would have made some "snap" comment, and if I'd seen you on a Santa Cruz I would have probably stopped to drool.

On the subject of coming off. I nearly came off twice the other week around Holmbury/Peaslake. Once was near the end of Reservoir dogs where you do a short sharp downhill into a muddy puddle. My front nearly washed out - perhaps I was leaning back too far? The other time I nearly wiped out was the short steep downhill at the very start of Barry Knows Best, which really caught me out - it's a bit vicious -are there any tips to getting down it, or do you just go off the edge and hope?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kestrel_daos</i>

Mike, you're right about the byway. It is the one that comes out by the recreation ground. I used to go down there quite a bit till a mate showed me the bridleway just before (which also comes out at the rec).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> That's a good tip, Matt. Thanks.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On the subject of coming off. I nearly came off twice the other week around Holmbury/Peaslake. Once was near the end of Reservoir dogs where you do a short sharp downhill into a muddy puddle. My front nearly washed out - perhaps I was leaning back too far? The other time I nearly wiped out was the short steep downhill at the very start of Barry Knows Best, which really caught me out - it's a bit vicious -are there any tips to getting down it, or do you just go off the edge and hope?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> [:D] I think I'm that last person you should ask about that! I know the bit you mean in BKB. I managed that OK, but I had to get off and have a look at it first [:I]. I'm fine if there is a clean exit at the bottom - I just rolled off the top, kept the weight right back (and hoped!) The bit I found scary was the bit at the end, just before the road (where the Major's helmet met its doom!)

I'll keep a look out for you, Matt.

Cheers

Mike.

• Kestrel_daos
    Oh that bit at the end! I chickened that and went round the path on the left which some kind soul had made. I think I'm just gonna keep the weight back at all times!

I'll keep a look out for you too! I'm just about getting up my endurance to cycle from Guildford To holmbury, and then have a reasonable hour riding before cycling back. I'm currently a bit locked down with revision, and the fact that I've managed to lose a cleat screw.

• Yes, I'm considering that next time the Major and I go out together, as we normally meet in Shere Rec car park. We then pootle through the bridleways up to Holmbury for an hour's ride or so (plus the obligatory stop at the Peaslake shop [:)])

Getting there is OK, but not sure if I'm up to the climb back from Shere to Newlands! At least Newlands to Merrow is all downhill.

Good luck with the revision - I'm in the process of helping my daughter with her Maths revision at the moment.[xx(]

• Kestrel_daos
    Ooh maths. I quite enjoy maths - I'm studying Maths, further maths, chem and physics for my AS. What exams are your daughter doing?

I really love that path down from Newlands to Merrow (walnut tree bottom), There are some ace little jumps and stuff.

One piece of advice (not wishing to sound patronising), but I'm not sure if you've ever ridden the "roman road" byway from north to south, which runs juts west of winterfold forest. Please don't - it's utterly depressing, rutted and a mud-bath. THought I'd warn you in case you went down there!

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kestrel_daos</i>

Ooh maths. I quite enjoy maths - I'm studying Maths, further maths, chem and physics for my AS. What exams are your daughter doing?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Only year 8 ones (George Abbot) <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I really love that path down from Newlands to Merrow (walnut tree bottom), There are some ace little jumps and stuff. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Me too. It's an easy climb up, and a great way to finish after a long ride. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> One piece of advice (not wishing to sound patronising), but I'm not sure if you've ever ridden the "roman road" byway from north to south, which runs juts west of winterfold forest. Please don't - it's utterly depressing, rutted and a mud-bath. THought I'd warn you in case you went down there!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Thanks for that, too. There are also some very rutted BOATs on the way to Ranmore. Completely churned up by the 4x4s, but fortunately, there are some bridleways that bypass these.

• Wolf
    I think it is Chinthurst, yep, if that's the one with the tower on top. The downhill I talk about is not too steep but very quick and with some 10 or so 1 foot drops... Am I the only that does come off on a regular basis? [:D]
    It could well be that the downhill to silent pool is a footpath only, but I've never seen any signs to tell you the truth... It certainly doesn't look design for cyclists (bloody scary) so I'll be more careful next time. Still, visibility is very good and I make a point of stoping if I see walkers...
    Holmbury is also out of my scope at the moment if I have to get there cycling. well, getting there is fine, it is the returning I wouldn't enjoy [:D]. I had a little trip to NC again yesterday evening, and it was LUVELY. The ground was still a bit wet but not muddy, so grip in the downhills was perfect, and the sandy bits were rideable uphill too. A very enjoyable couple of hours I have to say [;)]

Kestrel, the fox forks was the main reason for choosing this bike. It really is a big expensive pimpy toy, as I don't have anywhere near the skills needed to notice the difference between this and some Toras (appart from weight), but what is money for if not to spend it?

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    Wolf, I don't come off very often - I generally don't push myself since I mainly ride solo. Also, the fear of falling off while clipped in is just too much...!

Mmm, I might have to try that downhill into Silent Pool - I take it that it's mega-steep.

So what are the fox forks actually like? Are they mega-plush, or can you seriously not tell the difference between them and your old forks? I'm always in two minds about upgrading - I'd love to have some better quality kit, but wouldn't feel comfortably riding the bike knowing that if I crashed I'd never be able to afford to replace it. Mind you, by mega-mud-rolling monster tyres are really starting to get annoying.

Is it just me or is there just not that much technical riding around the Guildford area?

• Wolf
    That's why I run flats! I have a natural instinct to jump off just in the right moment! Although I have to admit I am a lot less brave when it comes to unknown and scarily steep stuff... Much more cautious with my new bike, as it is less forgiving than the GT.

The forks are megaplush, huge difference over the Suntours. It just flies over roots and rocks, but I still have to be careful as the back will jump around if I don't choose my lines well. I am sure some Rebas would be just as good though, and would give you the option of locking them! Personaly I am also a bit weary about going above XT quality too. That is the main reason I didn't get an Indian Fire Trail, but the Eldridge grade. It would have been painfull having to replace an XTR mech after just spending œ1700 on a bike...

Downhill to silent pool is not as much steep as technical. very narrow, quite rooty, with a couple of logs and tight bends just where you don't want them.

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    Is the frame on your Marin harsher than the GT - is that why it's less forgiving?

I'm worried about going above LX quality, although I do have an XT rear mech which shifts beautifully.

What tyres do all the Surrey Hills people seem to run? I'm thinking of getting a Nobby Nic front and Speedking back for a bit of all-round goodness (and knock about 750g off my bike's weight!).

• Wolf
    A good deal harsher on the back end. I have a "confused" drivetrain in my Marin. Deore front mech, XT back and LX shifters. Probably going to change my front mech to LX/XT at some stage as it is giving me grief already, although this could be due to cable stretch or the wack I had at Chinthurst last month... I run Panaracers Fire Pro, which are very good in the dry, but useless in sand or wet conditions. People seem happier with cinders though...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
  • Wolf - which Fire Pros do you run? I had the OEM ones which came with my bike. I also found them useless in the wet. I bought the folding kevlar bead ones recently and there is a huge improvement. Are yours the ones like the pic. in my signature?

Malt 4

Orange P7 - current rebuild

Deliverance
  • Wolf
    Mine are folding too, got them to replace the steel Kendas on the GT and have switched them to the Marin. Still bloody useless when climbing on sand, I had the wheel spinning like crazy yesterday...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07

What tyres do all the Surrey Hills people seem to run? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Currently, Kenda Blue Groove folding on the front. Conti Explorer on the back.

Bikes

XTC frame - see classifieds