Got a question on taking photos? Ask in here.

13»

Comments

• Tru, Mike. It certainly helps with telephoto lenses. I didn't consider that as I harldy use them. I prefer closer wide shots. I wouldn't say it's as much of a necessity as a wide aperture though, however I';d always take it if it's on offer.

BTW - We should encourage people here to join ourselves and JAW at www.freewheelphoto.com

Hamish
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just finalised my kit I'm hoping to buy Mike, but theres something about the Pocketwizards Im not sure on.
    The quantum FreeXwires can use Nikons iTTL while as far as I can tell PW's don't?
    Do they?
    I see the FreeXwires been an easier option than the PW's if the PW's dont use iTTL
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Yeah, the FreeXwires do use Nikon's iTTL system which is damn useful, but i'm not sure if it's as controllable as using an SB-800 or SU-800 as a master. If you use them as a master you can setup a whole load of flashes in seperate groups or individually and control the power of each one or each group really easily. I'm not sure how easy it is to do this with the FreeXwire system though as I've not used it.

Pocket Wizards have just brought out their third generation transceiver which if I remember rightly has introduced TTL flash metering as well.

For the most part there's no need for TTL metering on remote flashes I reckon, the majority of photographers I've met or spoken to tend to use fully manual remote flash and it's never caused any problems for them. If you are worried about balancing a flash exposure then there's always a light meter to check before you shoot.
  • mppix
    mppix Posts: 8
    Hi Mike

I have a Nikon D200 and 2 SB-600s that I can trigger with pocket wizards.

After spending a lot of time studying the pics in MBUK I get the feeling that atleast 2 flash units / strobes are being used, to the side and just off head on - although when I try this technique the flash tends to be a bit too harsh (see the link to my bike!)

As the PWs are used in manual, what kind of power from the flash should I be using if the target is 5-10 feet away??

cheers dude

Mark
    MPPIX Photography : www.mppix.com | mark@mppix.com
    My Baby
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Yep, it's usually 2-3 flashes used for action shots to get a well-balanced flash exposure.

If the target is 5-10 feet away, the power output you use on the flashes depends on the aperture you're using and obviously the background lighting.

Check the booklet for the SB-600s as there should be a guide table in there that will give you a better idea what kind of power output you should be using at what distances/apertures.

In fact, if you put the SB-800 in manual mode it tells you exactly how far the subject should be based on what power output and aperture you select, it does the maths for you.
  • mppix
    mppix Posts: 8
    cheers dude

Mark
    MPPIX Photography : www.mppix.com | mark@mppix.com
    My Baby