New BR forum platform

Hmm, quoting not working, nor uploading photos. Preferred the square profile photo format, but I guess that round is the new square.

At least it's back (which I was beginning to doubt would happen): as I've mentioned before I do appreciate the intelligence of most of the discussions here, and the range of posters' interests and skills.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681

Anyone got anything they need to get off their chest after 10 days?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692

Yep, forum doesn't seem to work properly and looks a bit pants.

I was expecting expecting more posting now we're up and running - there's over a weeks worth of pent up moaning for some people that needs an outlet..

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027

At least we've not lost the record of how much time and pixels we've used up in pursuit of whatever. In a monumental decision, I've updated my avatar to the colour version, as I've paid for the premium account, which was double the B&W licence cost.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692

Good point, got to reload an avatar. Hey ho.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Not sure the format is an improvement, but it is up!

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396

One suspects they've gone for the Ryanair budget option of forums, but as has been pointed out many times, there's no reason for them to bother at all so...fair enough.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339

Bit disappointed the polls got trashed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TheBigBean
    edited December 2023

Swearing seems to be allowed.

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530

Just back in time for Santa.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428

'Premium account' ?! @briantrumpet

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    edited December 2023

I see the quoting works.

Post a new discussion and a dialogue box states 'You are leaving Bike radar...'

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164

[quote="briantrumpet"]Hmm, quoting not working, nor uploading photos.[/quote]

Logging in is a bit dodgy too, endless loop on my laptop but if you stop and type the address manually it works. On my phone, not working at all, maybe for the best.

Can't see any text formatting tools, maybe I need to FTFM and read it.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027

Maybe this re-platforming project was given to someone via a VIP lane: cost a shedload more than it should have, and doesn't work.

I'm reminded of a lovely programme about how the Intercity 125's came about: there was one strand that had a major budget, went way over that, and came up years late with the tilting trains that didn't work. Meanwhile an in-house team in an office somewhere came up with the 125's for £23 6s 7d, adding the iconic nose cone as a last-minute aesthetic improvement.

At the moment, it seems we have ended up with a malfunctioning tilting train.

• To be fair, we'd all got used to the last upgrade, so it was time for another.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662

This upgrade can handle the volume of all of the posts, because it took so long it's killed the forum. In that sense it is future proofed.

• TheBigBean

Are points the same as likes? Can someone like this post, so I find out?

• Did that work @TheBigBean ?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean

Yes, I scored another point.

• TheBigBean

Brian has got twice as many points as me. One for trivial annoyances thread.

• Brian has got twice as many points as me. One for trivial annoyances thread

The post count has to be divided by points though for a true estimate of greatness.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 414

I’m still having issues trying to sign in and I can only get in as a doppelgänger rather than the original me.

• TheBigBean

The post count has to be divided by points though for a true estimate of greatness.

That doesn't help me.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,726
    //forum.bikeradar.com/applications/dashboard/design/images/defaulticon.png There was an error displaying this embed.

Webboo2  Posts: 5

11:50AM

I’m still having issues trying to sign in and I can only get in as a doppelgänger rather than the original me.

-----

I kept getting that sign in / no you're already signed in howdy stranger loop shenanigans. Think I seem to have stopped it by tapping the account icon top right, that opened showing my account info, username etc, came back out and now seem able to access ok, ish. 🤞

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688

Quoting doesn’t work for me. They seem to have taken the old adage of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and change it to “if it was just about adequate before make it worse”. As KG said it’s like Musk has bought the site.

• Pross

Was also getting that stupid sign in issue.

• LOL

Not signed in again in Pro race. Come to forum maintenance thread and viola! logged in, without doing squat.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

I think it logs you into each section separately which is why it seems to be going round in circles. I cancelled a few times thinking it was stuck in a loop then went to do some bits the next time I tried and it had finished when I got back.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,446

If it wasn't for some colourful Avatars it would be like reading a .txt file or a badly formatted Word.doc

There's not a lot to like about this new platform.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.