La Vuelta 2023: Stage 6:- La Vall d'Uixó to Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre ***Spoilers***

Stage 6:- La Vall d'Uixó to Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre

August 31
Start Time 11-20BST.

The 6th stage of La Vuelta is a 183.1 kilometres long race into the remote province of Teruel. The summit finish near the Javalambre Observatory is even more remote. The altitude gain sums up to almost 4,000 metres, while the haul to the finish line is demanding, with an average grade of nearly 8%, mostly double digits in the last 5 kilometres.
The steep slopes of the category one Javalambre Observatory Tower were enough to force gaps between the favourites and see Miguel Ángel López take the red jersey when it was last climbed in 2019.

The race begins at La Vall d'Uixó. La Vall d’Uixó is a small town north of Valencia. It’s situated close to the Mediterranean Sea. The race climbs from the start on an unclassifed hill of 4.4 kilometres at 5%. The peloton then travels along a predominantly low-grade uphill toward the final ascent of the day. Javalambre Observatory is situated on the Pico del Buitre, the Vulture’s Peak.

The Climbs.

Two more ascents stand out in the first 85 kilometres – Puerto de Arenillas (5.8 kilometres at 4.7%) and Alto Fuente de Rubielos (6.1 kilometres at 6.2%)

Final Kms.

Pico del Buitre: 10.9 kilometres at 8%
An irregular climb, so the last 5 kilometres go up at roughly 10%, and often much more than that.

What to Expect.

So far the breakaway has had no success, which is unusual for La Vuelta. Maybe today is the day?
However the race pans out, the GC riders are sure to put pressure on one another in the steep finale. As a result, we should have a better idea of the form of the pre-race favourites.

La Vall d'Uixó

Unprecedented La Vuelta departure
31,549 inhabitants

Vall de Uxó will host a La Vuelta stage departure for the first time this year. La Vall d'Uixó is a town situated in eastern Spain, in the Valencian province of Castelló. La Vall is located 25 km to the south of the province's capital Castelló, 45 km to the north of the community's capital Valencia and 8 km to the Mediterranean Sea.
Located half-way between the coast and the Espadán Mountain Range, this locality is home to a true natural jewel: the Coves de Sant Josep – the longest underground river in Europe. This cavity’s wealth goes far beyond just natural wealth, as its depths contain prehistoric engravings and paintings, all of which have been declared Assets of Cultural Interest and UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Suquet de Peix

The suquet de peix, typical of Valencian fishermen and with all the flavour of the sea in every spoon, is one of the tastiest stews. Fish and seafood are its main ingredients, along with onions, tomatoes and potatoes, as well as chopped almonds with bread and parsley.

Fartons (Yes, I childishly picked them for the name.)

Fartons and horchata de chufa: Fartons are elongated, spongy pastries covered with a thin layer of icing sugar that are usually dipped in the famous horchata de chufa, the most popular drink in this part of Spain. Horchata is a symbol of the Valencian Community and is made from tiger nuts.

Pico del Buitre

Second hosting of a Vuelta finish.
117 inhabitants.

In 2019, La Vuelta discovered a new summit finish. The Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre witnessed the Burgos-BH’s double win, with the victory going to Cantabrian rider Ángel Madrazo, and second place going to his teammate, Jetse Bol. Pico del Buitre is a high mountain peak at an elevation of 1.926m (6,318ft) above the sea level, located in the Sierra de Javalambre, on the border of Aragon and Valencia, in Spain.
The road to the summit, located within the Sierra de Javalambre mountain range, is gravel, rocky, tippy and bumpy at times. It’s called Carretera Forestal Pico de Javalambre The road is usually impassable in winters.

Paella Valenciana.

Not a lot of gastronomy to be found atop of this isolated mountain, so it's an opportunity to get the most famous of all dishes out of the way.
The original recipe is called paella Valenciana and uses ingredients such as chicken, rabbit, snails, rice, green beans, and huge local white beans called garrafó. Other types of paella, such as seafood or mixed paella are also available, although they were invented later.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Just watched the end of the stage to this finish in 2019 - the speed they go up that thing is amazing, especially when you see them passing suffering riders from the break.
  • kingstongraham
    No break after 30km. It's possible there might even be some racing ongoing when the TV coverage starts.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    edited August 2023
    What's happened to Remco?

PCS currently showing him a minute behind the peloton.
  • Now showing at 1’-25” with the peloton.
    Sounds like we are missing a heck of a race. Riders all over the place. Lenny Martinez in a group containing Kuss and Soler with almost a minute gap, so is the virtual leader.
  • Remco trying to get out of the race lead?
  • 42 riders ahead by 4 minutes, including all those I mentioned above.
    There are 4 Jumbo riders in the group.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    are we up yet? Nothing on Sporza yet.
  • Live now.
    So, Jay Vine has crashed and abandoned. Bad news for Ayuso and Almeida.
    Bagioli out with sickness for Team Evenepoel
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2023
    Kuss has 7 minutes on the other gc riders.
  • 7 minute gap now, too.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2023
    Martinez, soler also up the road
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Ineos the only team not in the front group? Lol

That's a huge mad group. 2023, the year Landa accidentally won a GT....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Going to bluff themselves out of it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    There's so many good riders with domestiques up front, it's ridiculous.

Let's find out how good Kuss really is.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

Ineos have Castroviejo up there no?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    neonriver said:

Cheers, I missed that, was going on PCS live ticker info
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    edited August 2023
    De Cauwer practically needed the smelling salts for how many people there are in this move.

Now we'll see if this QS team is up for it or not.
  • kingstongraham

neonriver said:

Cheers, I missed that, was going on PCS live ticker info
    If he is still up there, I'd ask why he hasn't dropped back. Not likely to win, is he?
  • kingstongraham
    Peloton looks like it could split at any time.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Couldn't understand why, when I turned on, CK was losing his sh*t that a break had 6 minutes with 60km and a massive climb to come. I'm still struggling to be honest although I suppose the size of the break is an issue but I think that people may have just got used to breaks being given no leeway.
  • mididoctors
    Crosswind
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Peloton doesn't look a fun place to be though. Wind seems to be creating problems.
  • Dan Lloyd’s stint is over all to quickly.
    At the end of the day any gap the breakaway keeps is going to be small.
    The bus has started picking up passengers
  • 2023, the year Landa accidentally won a GT....

If that scenario did look like panning out, Landa would find some way to lose. He's the only rider I can think of who would lose in the sprint after a solo breakaway.

• Pross
    Good news, Carlton has been on the double espressos so will be a bit more lively.
  • Pross said:

Good news, Carlton has been on the double espressos so will be a bit more lively.

His lack of knowledge and research exposed once again.
    Calls the bottom of the climb as the hardest while everyone knows it’s the last 5 kms.
    He still has cheek to defend his mistake.
  • U turn! :D
  • mididoctors
    Storer and kuss lOok good
  • mididoctors
    Come on Hugh
  • mididoctors
    Look at jumbo fcs