La Vuelta 2023: Stage 3:- Súria - Arinsal. Andorra, 158.5km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    edited August 2023
    The space after the finish line was simply too short. Riders were supposed to turn right, but I doubt it was visible with the rapid speed pickup with the road being downhill after the finish line. The immediately following riders didn't initially turn right either and just managed to brake in time with the added warning of seeing Remco crash.
    These guys aren't just going to crash into staff at high speed because they are being inattentive.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,287
    Turn right to where? Round that hairpin?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    Exactly.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • The New Zubeldia Steff Cras finished with Sep Miss today and is ahead of G on GC
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,639
    edited August 2023
    Having now seen the footage of the finish on the news after reading the comments on here I was surprised how far from the finish line the incident occurred. He could have stopped comfortably even with a celebration over the line, he just kept it going for far too long with the chest thumping. That said, the finish area really shouldn't have that amount of people hanging around in it and whilst it was made worse here as the space was more constrained than normal it's an issue at many race finishes. Do the photographers get any decent photos from being there? Do reporters really have to be able to grab a rider as soon as they finish for a quote? Do the riders have to hang around cuddling their team mates?
  • Think Remco has showed what most already know about his personality. His emperor syndrome is getting worse. Of course he could have stopped. Everyone else did that rode through the line. He made no attempt to brake and expected everyone to part like God cleaving a path through the Red Sea, just because it’s Remco. And shame on Orla Dan and Adam Blythe for not calling this out. If the woman is injured she should be suing. And even she isn’t, calls should be made for having him thrown off the Vuelta. Which will never happen. He blatantly rode into the waiting staff. Imho.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,783
    He's definitely the most entertaining thing in the Vuelta at the moment.

Enjoying the petulance, especially as he's right at the sharp end of the race.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,888
    Remco begins

Origin story of a legend
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • skinnydog said:

Think Remco has showed what most already know about his personality. His emperor syndrome is getting worse. Of course he could have stopped. Everyone else did that rode through the line. He made no attempt to brake and expected everyone to part like God cleaving a path through the Red Sea, just because it’s Remco. And shame on Orla Dan and Adam Blythe for not calling this out. If the woman is injured she should be suing. And even she isn’t, calls should be made for having him thrown off the Vuelta. Which will never happen. He blatantly rode into the waiting staff. Imho.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense. For starters, have a look at the far longer run off after the finish today- remembering that they were going uphill today, as opposed to downhill yesterday.

The idea that everyone else, who arent celebrating, stopping in time means it's Remcos fault is also nonsense.

Also, whilst I wasnt a big fan of the length and 'pompousness' of the celebration, Im not a 23 yo elite athlete, who has been under a bit of pressure about his future and also probably a bit peed off that Im not getting due respect as a possible winner of this event.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    In his defence there is always a gaggle of photographers and usually they move because they're not stood in front of a fence.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Yes I think that was it - he's celebrating he's just emptied the tank and probably only vaguely thinking about the possibility that the people in front of him are hiding a fence rather than a continuation of the road.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]