La Vuelta 2023: Stage 3:- Súria - Arinsal. Andorra, 158.5km ***Spoilers***

Stage 3:- Súria - Arinsal. Andorra, 158.5km

August 28th.
Start Time: 12-15BST.

It's only stage 3 but already La Vuelta takes the race into the high mountains from Sùria to the Arinsal ski resort in Andorra. The route of La Vuelta’s 3rd stage is lumpy untill the riders reach the border. Once they enter Andorra there are 51 kilometres and two hard climbs remaining. Mountains usually play an important role when a cycling race finishes in Andorra. The last time that La Vuelta was here, in 2017.

La Vulta traverses Catalunya, heading North into the principality of Andorra, then very quickly turns West, to tackle the mountains. The distance totals 158.5 kilometres.

Climbs.

The Ordino has featured multiple times before in the early- or mid-section of stages, most recently in 2018 and 2019. The full length of the Ordino measures 17.3km at 7.7%, but here is categorised at the final 8.9 kilometres with an average gradient of 5.1%.

The Arinsal is a newcomer to the Vuelta. The climb to the line is 8.3 kilometres long and averages 7.7%.

Final Kms.

What to Expect.

Odds are on a breakaway being allowed to take the stage although with EF now in the lead, they may seem fit to chase.
Also depends on which side of the bed the peloton gets out of to open the bedroom curtains.

Súria

Unprecedented La Vuelta departure
5,923 inhabitants

Súria is a municipality in the comarca of the Bages in Catalonia, Spain. It is situated in the valley of the Cardener river between Manresa and Cardona.
The area is best known for its deposits of potassium salts, which are exploited commercially and exported with trucks directly to all around the European continent. The Old Town, at the foot of the castle, has preserved much of its medieval structure.

Escalivada

A vegetarian delight: Smokey grilled veg (red peppers and eggplant) served with olive oil as a hot or cold dish. Some variations can include tomatoes onions and garlic.

Espinacs amb panses i pinyons

This is a very simple dish that has been consumed in Catalonia since medieval times. Fresh green spinach are sauteed in olive oil together with raisins and pine nuts.

Arinsal. Andorra

Arinsal is a village in Andorra, set at an altitude of between 1550 and 2560 metres, located in the Parish of La Massana, close to the border with Spain at Tor, Pallars. In the summer Arinsal is home to walkers and bikers, as well as those who just want to relax in the mountain scenery. Nearby are Andorra’s tallest peaks, the Pic de Coma Pedrosa, the Pic de l’Estanyó and the Pic de Medacorba.

Trinxat
(Trinxat de la Cerdanya)

Trinxat is a savory Andorran dish consisting of chopped and mashed cabbage and potatoes with the addition of mushrooms, garlic, pork or bacon, salt, pepper, and olive oil. The name is derived from the Catalan trinxar, meaning to slice, mash, or chop. The mash gets flattened into small pancakes that are fried in oil and garnished with bacon pieces.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The Cringe Bus is back
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Big break
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    71 k.to.go .... Still not hit the big stuff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

The Cringe Bus is back

I use the non studio stream now
  • mididoctors
    Andorra has some ugly roads
  • mididoctors
    Headwind is killing the racing
  • Headwind is killing the racing

Along with the untimely return of motormouth to the comms.
  • Caruso putting the pressure on in the break.
  • mididoctors
    Caruso and kamba push on as gap comes down to 2 mins
  • mididoctors
    Jersey hanging on... Dsm pushing
  • mididoctors
    Vine
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2023
    Bardet
  • mididoctors
    Piccolo dropped
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2023
    Bardet again
  • mididoctors
    edited August 2023
    Kamna not as comfortable on the descent
  • mididoctors
    Lot of nervous cornering
  • mididoctors
    Kamna Caruso hitting final climb with a min or so...
  • mididoctors
    Gesink must be a billion years old it feels
  • mididoctors
    Kamna goes ..Caruso claws back
  • 5 abreast at the front.
    Have they neutralised it again? o:)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    Is Landa near the front?
  • mididoctors
    Peloton bluffing amounts the GC contenders eases up
  • Kamna riding away as the peloton continue on a go slow.
  • mididoctors
    Kamna stretching the elastic
  • mididoctors
    Caruso refusing to give up
  • mididoctors
    No one wants to tow roglic to sprint and jumbo don't want to go it themselves
  • mididoctors
    Ineos and UAE coming forward
  • mididoctors
    Vine killing it
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Thomas struggling to hold the favourites group
  • mididoctors
    G not looking great