TDF 2023:- Stage 20:- Belfort to Le Markstein, 133km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Pog still has the legs on a Pog type finish. Such a shame it wasn’t still close going into today’s stage.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    That was a lot of fun
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Pross
    Shame for Rodriguez to drop a place, really gutsy ride.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

What a good stage

Indeed, interesting watch that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Pleased for Pog there, Jonas was ultra conservative
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    JV didn’t seem to go all in at the finish, after ghosting Pog all the way up the climb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    JV must have a sore neck from riding that last 10 km looking back at Pog
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    edited July 2023
    Happy for Adam. 3rd was always going to be the very best he could hope for, especially considering he was wing man for Pog
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Pross
    Back in cool weather and lower altitude and Pog is back to winning.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Pross said:

Johannsen has had a tour

He must be on the radar of the big teams. Any rumours of him moving?
    BORA apparently
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited July 2023
    Pross said:

Would he have have kept up with Vingergaard on the climb if he attacked?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • r0bh
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

Would have have kept up with Vingergaard on the climb of her attacked?
    We'll never know!
  • mididoctors
    Kuss looks a real mess
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    r0bh said:

JV must have a sore neck from riding that last 10 km looking back at Pog

Worse than Andy Schleck. If you want to know what's behind, go behind. Jonas usually riding behind and he is leading by 7 mins plus. Unless he hits the road he isn't going to lose the race
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307

Happy for Adam. 3rd was always going to be the very best he could hope for, especially considering he was wing man for Pog

3rd behind those 2. Think most of the peloton would take that.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    The crowds were insanely huge for all the last 70 kms. What memories Pinot will have from the Petit Ballon, and likewise his fans.

When Pog attacked and Jonas went with him, Jonas showed himself to de an utter dick by refusing to ride, and even when they went clear with Gall he just wanted to wheel suck and do no work to the line. Just ride FFS, and you might have picked Pog's pocket.

Really pleased Pog won again and pleased for Adam Yates to get his podium place. He's been really strong all Tour.

Tough on Rodrigues, but given his crash he did really well.

Hope Kuus is Ok.
  • r0bh
    Rodriguez's crash caused by a broken wheel according to the man himself

• Pross

Did he actually do much riding for Pog? I’m struggling to think of any examples but my memory of the details of stages fades in no time. I was thinking the reason he stayed so throughout was that he was being kept as a back up. Still finished higher than I would have expected though.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    Pross said:

Did he actually do much riding for Pog? I’m struggling to think of any examples but my memory of the details of stages fades in no time. I was thinking the reason he stayed so throughout was that he was being kept as a back up. Still finished higher than I would have expected though.
    Regularly Pog's wingman in the Sepp Kuss role, so yes he did quite a bit for him
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Last man lead out when pog put those few secs into Jonas

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just catching up. I'm just glad Pinot didn't win. I'm not in that cult.

I apologise to Sep Kuss for picking for PTP. He doesn't have experience to avoid the curse.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    I have to admit I was all in for a Pinot win. After the Cav disappointment, all this tour needed was a fairytale stage win to elevate it to god tier
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited July 2023
    Yes but*...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9rrAbLNePxU&feature=share9

Today I was happy to let heart rule head for one last** time.

*I don't watch enough baseball to actually understand this clip. I hear it makes Americans very emotional tho in a similar way to ol' Thibaut

**Actually, today was the first for me...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023
    ddraver said:

Yes but*...

"Pinot. He gives the emotions. The panache is there."
    "Fuglsang gets on base/wins races"

Pinot is the antipathy of Moneyball. All emotion, no stats. He could have benefited from a Billy Beane type, but he got the oppisite in Madiot.
  • ddraver
    edited July 2023
    Well...as is the scene...

The romance of sport, italian rugby, Denver Broncos (?), Come on Tim! etc.
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Well...as is the scene...

The romance of sport, italian rugby, Denver Broncos (?), Come on Tim! etc.

Yeah, it didn't really work for me when I saw the film. The clip is a poor player not realising they did something great. What's the point?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    Pinot over achieved during his career. French climbers don't tend to win races, yet he has 33 wins to his name, including stages in all three grand tours plus a monument, and finished on the podium in the Tour.

That he somehow remained grounded after suffering from the hype that surrounds any potential French Tour de France contender shows his strength of character.

Cycling fans liked him because he was a brave rider who wasn't afraid to show his emotions both on and off the bike.

That is the counter point to @RichN95. drunken slanderous accusations. :p