TDF 2023:- Stage 20:- Belfort to Le Markstein, 133km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
edited July 2023 in Pro race
Stage 20:- Belfort to Le Markstein, 133km

Saturday, July 22
Start Time: 12-30pmBST.

A final chance in the Vosges mountains with a route for the leaders to go all in. This stage is strongly reminiscent of last year’s queen stage of the first Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift.
The penultimate stage should once again animate the protagonists to set off fireworks. The course is ideal to do so. There will be five categorised climbs, a few uncategorised ones – and the 133.5 kilometres with their 3,600 metres elevation gain resemble a roller coaster. There a very few flat sections on this stage.

Belfort has hosted the Tour de France on more than a dozen occasions, mostly as a starting venue. The last time was in 2019, the race went to Chalon-sur-Saône, where Dylan Groenewegen sprinted to victory. La Markstein has been included twice in the Tour for men, in 2014 and 2019, but it never before served as a finish for the world's biggest cycling event.

The Climbs.

Final Climbs and Kms.

What to Expect:

One way or another, any remaining jersey issues to be settled. Riders in a full on battle for the break. Riders in the top 10 trying to move up. 130Kms of constant animation.

Belfort

Stage town for the 31st time.
Population: 45,4600.

Belfort is a city in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region in Northeastern France, situated between Lyon and Strasbourg, approximately 25 km from the France–Switzerland border. The city is located on the river Savoureuse, on a strategically important natural route between the Rhine and the Rhône – the Belfort Gap (Trouée de Belfort) or Burgundian Gate (Porte de Bourgogne). It is located approximately 16 km (10 mi) south from the base of the Ballon d'Alsace mountain range, source of the Savoureuse.

BELFORT AND CYCLING

A regular stage in the pre-war Tours, the town has since been used much more as a start than a finish, although Belgian rider Marc Demeyer, Freddy Maertens' regular lead-out man, seized the opportunity to shine here in 1978. The following day, Bernard Hinault won a time-trial helping him him to dislodge Zoetemelk from the top of the general classification and begin his life in yellow at the Tour de France. In 2012, it was from Belfort that Thibaut Pinot won his first Tour de France stage in Switzerland, in Porrentruy. Belfort's best-known rider is undoubtedly Christophe Moreau, who spent his entire adolescence and early racing years in the town of the Lion. He finished 4th in 2000 in the most successful of his 15 Tours de France.

Le Markstein

New stage site
Population: 1,260 in Oderen

Le Markstein is a winter sports station in the Vosges mountains in France situated at an altitude of between 1,020 m and 1,268 m which is located on the Route des Crêtes. Route des Crêtes (English: Route of the Ridges) is an 89 km (55 mi) road in the Vosges Mountains in eastern France, which passes through the Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges. The ridge forms part of the boundary between the Alsace and Lorraine regions of France.

LE MARKSTEIN AND CYCLING

It was on the climb to Le Markstein last year that Annemiek van Vleuten built up her historic victory in the first edition of the Tour de France Femmes with Zwift. The Dutch rider went solo from the very first hill and outclassed all her rivals to reach the Vosges ski resort more than three minutes ahead of Demi Vollering and more than five minutes ahead of her other rivals.

Alsace Gastronomy.

Tarte à l'oignon

Tarte à l'oignon is a fragrant, savory onion tart from the Alsace region in France. Essentially, it is an open-face pie that is filled with a rich and flavorful custard of eggs, bacon, and onions. Although it is a cousin to the famous quiche Lorraine, it is not as deep as traditional quiches.

Truite au bleu

Truite au bleu is an unusual and nearly forgotten French dish in which a trout becomes blue-colored before being poached. The trout needs to be as fresh as possible – it is first stunned (usually by hitting it on the head), then gutted, and left to soak for a short while in vinegar – the process will turn the natural exterior mucus of the fish blue.

Choucroute Garnie

Choucroute Garnie is a typical winter dish coming from the French Alsace region. At its base is the silky, pungent, fermented cabbage known as sauerkraut, infused with flavors of goose fat, onions, garlic, juniper berries, caraway, and white wine such as the local dry Riesling.
Sauerkraut is garnished with a hefty number of ingredients such as smoked or fresh beef and pork sausages, pork loin, pork shoulder, and bacon. The ultimate version of the dish, called choucroute royale is served with added calf or pork liver dumplings that are poached and sautéed with onions.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    This area is on my short list for a next trip to France. Does anyone recommend it?
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Here is a (only slightly) better, but definitely more accurate, map of the route (until Blazing corrects his):

• blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

This area is on my short list for a next trip to France. Does anyone recommend it?

As luck would have it, I have been there many times, as have the family.
    At one time David's brother used to import wine from a producer in Ammerschweir.
    I love it, so would certainly recommended it.
  • blazing_saddles
    jimmyjams said:

Here is a (only slightly) better, but definitely more accurate, map of the route (until Blazing corrects his):

:D
    How did that happen?
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Pross said:

I love the area and have spent a lot of time there, But I don't want to clog up this thread by talking at length about the Vosges or Alsace, so I will write a pm to you some time tomorrow.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I would interject to say that the tdf is a tourism initiative and Prudhomme himself would be mortified to hear that the host towns and departments being siphoned off into private messages.

Tell all!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2023

Is this like the bit in Close Encounters of the Third Kind where Richard Dreyfus makes a mountain out of mashed potato?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Rode some of this route in 2007 I think it was for the Etape Legende. Well remember the Plazerwasel then the finish on Ballon D’Alsace. Great event. 9hrs+ that day.
  • blazing_saddles
    Any excuse to post a few pictures....

Riquewihr

Kaysersberg

Eguisheim

Colmar

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

I would interject to say that the tdf is a tourism initiative and Prudhomme himself would be mortified to hear that the host towns and departments being siphoned off into private messages.

Tell all!

Yes I quite like the added colour from the posts not directly about the racing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Hmmm… Orla announces that this is the last cringe bus of the Tour. Not ever…
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Riquewihr

Kaysersberg

Eguisheim

Colmar

I refuse to believe these places are real. They're shots of a set for a live action remake of Shrek or something
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Simon Yates less than 2 mins off the podium to a very tired Adam
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Riquewihr

Kaysersberg

Eguisheim

Colmar

I refuse to believe these places are real. They're shots of a set for a live action remake of Shrek or something
    Look like they were generated by AI don't they
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Peloton looks very sluggish
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Pross said:

Not been but it's been on my list for some time. Similar to the Ardennes in geography but because it wasn't used as a battleground it's a bit more as it was I've been told...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    UAE controlling at the front, they want something from the stage
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Jonas near the front but no other Jumbo's around him
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Campanaerts is away solo for some reason, btw. Had de Buyst with him, but he didn't last.
  • blazing_saddles
    Not quite the start I expected.
    Victor about to be caught
  • blazing_saddles
    Lidl cash in
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mads P is a monster
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Boo, Vin didn't sprint for KOM points! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors

Not quite the start I expected.
    Victor about to be caught

Too knackered to race
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

Riquewihr

Kaysersberg

Eguisheim

Colmar

Colmar was one of the places I was looking at prior to Covid. The idea was to stop there for a few days before carrying on to the Italian lakes.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Boo, Vin didn't sprint for KOM points! :D

Now that would have been unpopular
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Chute
    Rodriguez down
  • mididoctors
    Rodriguez chute
  • mididoctors
    Road rash on his face