TDF 2023: Stage 19:- Moirans-en-Montagne to Poligny, 173km ***Spoilers***

1235»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    It's a good peloton these days
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Tom pidcock looking suitably annihilated ....all that time hanging on to the GC group ... I suppose the debate of does he need to get off the MTB
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    andyp said:

Pross said:

andyp said:

How strong was Asgreen? O'Connor absolutely did the right thing in attacking at 600 metres to go, yet Asgreen was straight onto him and almost managed to then still outsprint Mohoric. Amazing stuff after yesterday.

Lost it on a mistimed throw in the end.
    Mohoric was very generous about both Asgreen and O'Connor. He's very erudite, isn't he?
    Yeah, proper hearts and minds stuff there.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    can someone link to a tweet?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Campanearts accent will never not sound funny to me.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

can someone link to a tweet?

I will when someone tweets it out. The Tour official account will soon enough, I'd imagine, as they usually do.
  • Pross
    Getting a cuddle off Pog isn't he?
  • Slovene love in
  • Pross

Campanearts accent will never not sound funny to me.

Sounds like the inspiration for Blythe's Belgian impersonation.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

andyrac said:

gweeds said:

Phillipsen is a bit of a knob isn’t he.

There's a few on Lidl-Trek who strike me as similar......
    Why is he a knob? I'm on the very partisan belgian coverage so not getting that energy from the call.
    Chucking his weight around. Ego looks a little out of control.

He’d do well to watch Mohoric’s interview.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    I don't get why we're piling on Philipsen again today?

He was gesticulating at one point on the run in, but that looked to me like he was indicating the wind direction had changed and they'd be better off swapping turns from the other side to give those going back more shelter.

Kirby, of course, missed that because he knows so little about bike racing.
  • andyp said:

He was gesticulating at one point on the run in, but that looked to me like he was indicating the wind direction had changed and they'd be better off swapping turns from the other side to give those going back more shelter.

That is why one shouldn't act like a **** even on a one-off basis. People generally assume the worst of one thereafter, even if unfairly.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    That was a surprisingly enjoyable stage. I'd have been happy if any of the first three won it, but Mohoric's interview made me glad he did,
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I guess Jasper had to pretend to try and have the "Hey ladz, why aren't we all working for the win here *surprised Pikachu face*???” conversation even if he and the rest of the world knew the answer...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I did find it funny in the last kilometre when O'Connor left a huge gap between him and the other two ahead. He may as well have shouted "Watch out lads, I'm about to attacki!"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    andyp said:

Maybe Philipsen's gesticulating was just complaining that, despite their efforts, they weren't catching up at all. Or complaining that van der Poel missed a turn about 10 km out.

Eitherway, it wasn't the wind direction which changed; it was from the SW all the time. However, they were riding westwards from beyond 20 km out, so the wind was coming from their front left. But with about 10 km to go they turned to head SE, so then it was from their right side.
    It seemed to me that the Philipsen group rotated clockwise, and with no offset, for the whole last half-hour, as if the wind was from the left front. So could be your theory is correct, he wanted the rotation direction altered.
    (Some offset might have helped too, but perhaps less recommended between riders who don't know each other well)