Watch thread

1235»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576

What are the general opinions on Cristopher Ward watches? Like the look of the C60 and am comfortable spending that on what would only be worn sparingly as I use my Iwatch Ultra day to day.

Happy to confess I know nothing about watches.

Honestly? Buy whatever you like the look of as it's basically a piece of jewellery which tells the time as well as any other.

If you like it that's all that matters.
    This.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,535
    edited July 2023

I’ve reduced my collection to three Seikos and a Hamilton Khaki Automatic.

The Seikos are a SARB033, the new 1965 SPB143J1 repro diver (which is a truly amazing watch) and my trusty Seiko 5 SNK809 beater.

I was going to buy a Grand Seiko earlier this year, but bought an ENVE Melee frame instead!

Nearly pulled the trigger on the sarb033 several times but managed to be so indecisive Seiko discontinued the line. Lovely dress watch.

The Seiko prospex gets good reviews.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Why is that Seiko such an amazing watch? Surely no better / worse than any other black face dive watch?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,962

The Seikos are a SARB033, the new 1965 SPB143J1 repro diver (which is a truly amazing watch) and my trusty Seiko 5 SNK809 beater.

I was going to buy a Grand Seiko earlier this year, but bought an ENVE Melee frame instead!

Nice. Which GS were you looking at?

My Seiko collection is up to the SPB269J1, SPB191J1, SBP913P1 and SNR033J1. Happy with that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,535

Why is that Seiko such an amazing watch? Surely no better / worse than any other black face dive watch?

One of those watches that looks a lot better in the flesh. I don’t think the dial is just black, has a nice shimmer to it.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I am a big fan of Seiko, have a couple of prospex divers. You can usually find most models online well under retail as well.

The Grand Seiko watches are fantastic quality and one of those brands that look even better in the flesh, so to speak. My only problem is that most of them are 40mm plus, and the case shapes just don't suit my wrist. I am tempted by one of the dress watches on future.

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Stevo_666 said:

My Seiko collection is up to the SPB269J1, SPB191J1, SBP913P1 and SNR033J1. Happy with that.
    Nice selection!

I was looking at the simple mechanical SBGW231. It’s classy, but not too dressy. Bung a nice tan strap on and it’s an all day watch.

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807

I am a big fan of Seiko, have a couple of prospex divers. You can usually find most models online well under retail as well.

The Grand Seiko watches are fantastic quality and one of those brands that look even better in the flesh, so to speak. My only problem is that most of them are 40mm plus, and the case shapes just don't suit my wrist. I am tempted by one of the dress watches on future.

The 40mm GS watches, especially the spring drives really don’t look big on a skinny wrist. I’ve tried one out and it looks good.

• The 40mm GS watches, especially the spring drives really don’t look big on a skinny wrist. I’ve tried one out and it looks good.

Cheers, that's good to know. I am heading to London later in the year so I am planning to go into the GS boutique and have a look at them in person.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Nice selection!

I was looking at the simple mechanical SBGW231. It’s classy, but not too dressy. Bung a nice tan strap on and it’s an all day watch.

Nice simple, classic design - good choice.

Love the spring drive movement, that smooth sweep of the second hand is nice. My SNR033J1 has the spring drive movement but isn't a GS (and bought second hand), so not quite as harsh on the wallet.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The SBGW231 is a great looking watch. The GS dress watches look like Calatrava level watches at more respectable prices. There are a couple of variations on that model now with tan straps and textured dials; SBGW267 and SBGW281 which are worth a look.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,729
    Noted WVA flexing a Rolex in his baby announcement photo.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,488
    . . . I also noticed during Wimbledon players putting on flash watches out of their kit bag after they had won before their on court interview - not noticed that before at the tennis
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • shirley_basso

Can't get away from this one. 5 digit submariner bluesy. Not without its flaws, but such a fantastic looking watch. Same price as a modern 6 digit steel submariner.
  • I also noticed during Wimbledon players putting on flash watches out of their kit bag after they had won before their on court interview - not noticed that before at the tennis

They have done it for years, got to make sure they fulfil that sponsors deal! I remember Federer winning Wimbledon one year and forgetting his Rolex, he had to go to the box and shout for it from his wife!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576
    Could be wrong but I vaguely remember Borg putting a watch on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    I don't find it remotely surprising given the title sponsor. I was more surprised that alcaraz had a vintage watch Vs a current model.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,615

Can't get away from this one. 5 digit submariner bluesy. Not without its flaws, but such a fantastic looking watch. Same price as a modern 6 digit steel submariner.

Looks broken. The time shows a bit after 10, but the date is stuck in between two? Should only do that when it’s just ticked over 12?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • shirley_basso
    Haha it's called refraction, caused by the magnifier (Cyclops)
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,387

I went mental and spent inheritance money on a "year of birth" instance of one of these!

Possibly should have got a bike instead!
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023
    Jezyboy said:

I went mental and spent inheritance money on a "year of birth" instance of one of these!

Unless you bought it very recently, you should be able to flog it and make a profit. Then buy that bike.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,387
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Unless you bought it very recently, you pu should be able to flog it and make a profit. Then buy that bike.
    Nah, too recent, and a bit of jewelry is quite a nice reminder of the person who's inheritance it was!
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Unless you bought it very recently, you pu should be able to flog it and make a profit. Then buy that bike.
    Nah, too recent, and a bit of jewelry is quite a nice reminder of the person who's inheritance it was!
    Fair enough, it's very much a personal thing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,325
    Surprised to find that new Seiko SKXs are going for 450-500 quid today, mine was 150! We bought my brother one just after they stopped production for 220.

The Ingersoll pocket watch I inherited seems to be worth 1600-2000 now which is insane since it was worth about 90 quid when I inherited it. Of course I'd never sell it but I do feel I should insure it.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 138
    edited July 2023
    Montblanc watches is the kind of aesthetic that appeals to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDytS80mJk

And a big fan of Bell & Ross for their unique, bold aesthetics.

Anyways, my Seiko. Bought 25 years ago when I was 18 at the time and for my first ever earned money. I can't remember when last time I had it on my wrist though, as i prefer a Garmin for it's sport functions.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,325
    I like the Mont Blanc ones but they seem to often have quite large cases... so they feel bulky in the flesh.