Watch thread

To avoid poluting the tennis thread.

I'd love to afford to justify a Daytona, but since taking up running and buying a Garmin watch, I just know I'd never wear it.

(I actually want an AP ROO Jumbo - but that's many orders of magnitude more expensive)

One of these?

I've never really understood the appeal of the metal octagonal design but YMMV obviously.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,842
    Does not appeal to me - and especially at that sort of price.

I like my mechanical watches and have a few but nothing flash or silly expensive as you can get good stuff without paying through the nostrils if you can look past the name on the dial (although I realise that a lot of people will classify watches with a 3 figure price tag as expensive).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    I'm not going to, obviously, but if someone gave me the keys to shop to pick one it'd be this. I am clearly a man of simple, but expensive taste.

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Patek-Philippe-Grand-Complications-Grande-Sonnerie-6301P+001/p/17921027

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • As someone with a long standing interest in watches, it's taken me by surprise at how 'luxury' watches have become so popular in the last 3 or 4 years.

When I left London in 2015 you could walk into any AD and purchase any Rolex apart from a Daytona. The demand for these and other brands like AP and Patek baffles me. The prices on the used market are ridiculous.

Unless you are buying a Langhe or Patek complication, then I would agree that once you get above £2k for a watch you are paying for the name. I guess that is the case for most luxury items though.

Lots of brands are massively price gouging now, Omega and JLC are the worst culprits, 40-50% price increases on the same models over 18 months!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,831
    Not being funny, but why is that worth more than a Jaeger with a Bugatti around it?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,965
    Where is the GPS, heart rate monitor, spot on accuracy?

They're just flounce.
  • Stevo_666

As someone with a long standing interest in watches, it's taken me by surprise at how 'luxury' watches have become so popular in the last 3 or 4 years.

When I left London in 2015 you could walk into any AD and purchase any Rolex apart from a Daytona. The demand for these and other brands like AP and Patek baffles me. The prices on the used market are ridiculous.

Unless you are buying a Langhe or Patek complication, then I would agree that once you get above £2k for a watch you are paying for the name. I guess that is the case for most luxury items though.

Lots of brands are massively price gouging now, Omega and JLC are the worst culprits, 40-50% price increases on the same models over 18 months!

Agree with you on all of that.

Rolex seems to be more of a tradeable commodity than a watch these days, though the grey market prices seem to have dropped off a bit recently from crazy to just extortionate levels. Omega and the like have put themselves out of contention for a lot of people who might have got one when they were more reasonable, though seems as if there are enough people still willing to pay the asking price for the time being at least.

There's still a lot of good stuff out there outside of the headline brands though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,735
    I hadn't heard about Helm watches until recently, not sure why they saw fit to put my name on a watch. The EPO agrees I should order one. Now I just need to persuade her I need a Holdsworth Helm as well.
    Completely agree about prices for names. I've got an old Tag F1 and my old man's JLC in addition to some Swatches that make me smile.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    I’d prefer something vintage with a few scratches/patina and some character.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    That big green ceramic Hublot Big Bang that Djokovic was wearing was nasty... especially at £21k.

The CEO of our software business has an older gold Daytona with a white mother of pearl dial that is absolutely lovely, although I wouldn't wear it (even if I could afford it, which I can't). Apparently he was given it for making some kind of sales record in the 90s. I thought the one Alcaraz was wearing was a bit much - too big these days and the rubber strap puts me off.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,801
    As I've been known to leave watches in jersey pockets when doing the laundry, or just losing them, I think I'll stick to my crappy under-£50 range. But obviously analogue... digital watches are the most hideous invention ever.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

As someone with a long standing interest in watches, it's taken me by surprise at how 'luxury' watches have become so popular in the last 3 or 4 years.

The Omega price rises are genuinely ridiculous, certainly put me off buying one I had my eye on as now I don't think it is worth the money. Also I'm not a fan of the open back a lot of the seamasters now sport, much prefered the closed case with the seahorse logo.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    seanoconn said:

Like this.

I think it was made around 1920.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023

The Omega price rises are genuinely ridiculous, certainly put me off buying one I had my eye on as now I don't think it is worth the money. Also I'm not a fan of the open back a lot of the seamasters now sport, much prefered the closed case with the seahorse logo.
    Go second hand - there is quite a lot out there which while not a bargain, is not a rip off like the current new models. This is my old Seamaster GMT which I picked up back in the noughties when prices were reasonable.

Also has your preferred case back as you can see.

• Rolex seems to be more of a tradeable commodity than a watch these days, though the grey market prices seem to have dropped off a bit recently from crazy to just extortionate levels. Omega and the like have put themselves out of contention for a lot of people who might have got one when they were more reasonable, though seems as if there are enough people still willing to pay the asking price for the time being at least.

There's still a lot of good stuff out there outside of the headline brands though.

Yes, Rolex are definitely a commodity these days. It's a shame as I sure there are lots of people who would love to own one and are genuine enthusiasts but are priced out of the market.

Agree about Omega and a few others. I think they will come to regret it in the long term as the interest fades and the prices no longer hold up.
  • The Omega price rises are genuinely ridiculous, certainly put me off buying one I had my eye on as now I don't think it is worth the money. Also I'm not a fan of the open back a lot of the seamasters now sport, much prefered the closed case with the seahorse logo.

I was the same, saved up for an Omega only to go into an AD and find the price had gone up £400. Saved up the difference only for the same price hike less than 3 months later. I gave up at that point! I expect many more feel the same.
  • Stevo_666

I hadn't heard about Helm watches until recently, not sure why they saw fit to put my name on a watch. The EPO agrees I should order one. Now I just need to persuade her I need a Holdsworth Helm as well.
    Completely agree about prices for names. I've got an old Tag F1 and my old man's JLC in addition to some Swatches that make me smile.

Helm is a new one to me - they look alright. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Git Watch :)
  • @seanoconn I think the Tudor sub is one of the few vintage watches that still offer value. I expect as more people pick up on it they will go towards Rolex sub prices, although not quite as steep perhaps.
  • Stevo_666

I was the same, saved up for an Omega only to go into an AD and find the price had gone up £400. Saved up the difference only for the same price hike less than 3 months later. I gave up at that point! I expect many more feel the same.
    As I mentioned to VLL about, why not go for a second hand Omega? Most can be had at a discount to new.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2023
    I’ve had my eye on a vintage omega de ville style for a while, and have always told myself when I get a good bonus I’ll treat myself so as not to feel guilty but then there’s always a more pressing reason to spend money.

They’re not expensive relative but still.

Or even a gruen which is cheaper.

I like the smaller watches as obviously I have small wrists.

Not a big fan of the modern trend for bigger watches both in face size and depth.

Also never really understood the appeal of sports watches but they’re more popular than dress watches.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yep that's the one. I love the Tapisserie dial, and despite the shape it looks great on the wrist. I had the all black "casioak" for a while but it was illegible so I sold it. Tissot also recently launched a series of Tapisserie dials which look mega.

As for me, I'd like an older, 5 digit submariner the16610 (which I will hopefully get one day) but I also love the 16613LB.

I have quite small wrists so the newer 6 digit models don't really do it for me, although I would make an exception for the Daytona. I put myself on the waiting list about 5 years ago, at the time they said it would take until I was 40, so a few more to wait!

Day to day I just wear my Garmin watch, but I also have a 40's mechanical omega dress watch and a Tag Aquaracer which was an 18th bday present.

This is the daytona I particularly like:

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    webboo said:

seanoconn said:

Like this.

You got me looking. A serial number search reveals - Waltham Hunter, Broadway Grade, Massachusetts 1876. Asking prices on the Bay, over £1000. 😱

This is my photo of the watch, immaculate.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635
    All a mystery to me. My solar powered watch just keeps the time. No servicing or battery replacement required.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

seanoconn said:

Like this.

You got me looking. A serial number search reveals - Waltham Hunter, Broadway Grade, Massachusetts 1876. Asking prices on the Bay, over £1000. 😱

This is my photo of the watch, immaculate.

Very nice.
    Somehow I as the oldest grand child lost out on my grandads pocket watch to my cousin as result as some dodgy dealings by my auntie. I suspect that it was flogged off years ago.
  • focuszing723

All a mystery to me. My solar powered watch just keeps the time. No servicing or battery replacement required.

I quite like this at least it's bang on accurate (atomic radio signal).

• focuszing723
    edited July 2023
    The rest of this thread is full up with charity shop bits n' bobs.
  • As I mentioned to VLL about, why not go for a second hand Omega? Most can be had at a discount to new.

I have been keeping my eye out but 2nd hand are still holding at relatively high prices at the moment and a bit above budget. I am holding out (hopefully) for a bit more of a price drop.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,801

Yeah, if I spent a bit more money, that's probably what I'd do.

Mind you, I don't understand people who don't have a watch, and spend all day getting their phone out to see what the time is. Really annoying when it's someone running a training session or similar.
  • Stevo_666

As I mentioned to VLL about, why not go for a second hand Omega? Most can be had at a discount to new.

I have been keeping my eye out but 2nd hand are still holding at relatively high prices at the moment and a bit above budget. I am holding out (hopefully) for a bit more of a price drop.
    Patience is your friend, I think prices will soften.
  • Stevo_666

I quite like this at least it's bang on accurate (atomic radio signal).

I have a G Shock that sets its time from the atomic clock to set my mechanicals.

Or else get a Seiko with a spring drive movement - mechanical movement with quartz escapement and quartz accuracy.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Just see it as a bracelet.