Watch thread

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608

I’ve had my eye on a vintage omega de ville style for a while, and have always told myself when I get a good bonus I’ll treat myself so as not to feel guilty but then there’s always a more pressing reason to spend money.

They’re not expensive relative but still.

Or even a gruen which is cheaper.

I like the smaller watches as obviously I have small wrists.

Not a big fan of the modern trend for bigger watches both in face size and depth.

Also never really understood the appeal of sports watches but they’re more popular than dress watches.

Looked extensively at vintage omega’s a few years ago, determined to find the perfect one. I looked so much I actually got bored of them, probably not a good sign.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    seanoconn said:

I’ve had my eye on a vintage omega de ville style for a while, and have always told myself when I get a good bonus I’ll treat myself so as not to feel guilty but then there’s always a more pressing reason to spend money.

Not a big fan of the modern trend for bigger watches both in face size and depth.

Also never really understood the appeal of sports watches but they’re more popular than dress watches.

Looked extensively at vintage omega’s a few years ago, determined to find the perfect one. I looked so much I actually got bored of them, probably not a good sign.
    Yeah there are a lot aren't there?
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    My Garmin costed 30eur, used.
    Tracks running with GPS. And does everything and more than I want or need.
    All good if some pay more for their watch.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,636

• I looked so much I actually got bored of them, probably not a good sign.

It's a definite challenge with watches, you get drawn into something shiny and new (or vintage in this case!). It can wear off though and you are left with a rather expensive item you no longer wear. I always wait at least a year before buying a watch to make sure I still really want it. I have been lucky so far, I only ever sold one watch but that was because I had to accept it was just too big and heavy for me, still miss that watch though.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited July 2023

I have a vintage omega like that top one - but has all indices, no numbers and a gold dial. Will dig it out. It is quite small, as you say.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

All a mystery to me. My solar powered watch just keeps the time. No servicing or battery replacement required.

Just see it as a bracelet.
    A bracelet is purely decoration though whereas watches have a function, in theory. Perhaps it is more like cufflinks. Just ones that don't work particularly well and need expensive servicing.

I think some people are simply trying to make a statement about their wealth. Others like vintage technology such as steam trains.
  • seanoconn

I looked so much I actually got bored of them, probably not a good sign.

It's a definite challenge with watches, you get drawn into something shiny and new (or vintage in this case!). It can wear off though and you are left with a rather expensive item you no longer wear. I always wait at least a year before buying a watch to make sure I still really want it. I have been lucky so far, I only ever sold one watch but that was because I had to accept it was just too big and heavy for me, still miss that watch though.
    I realised quite early on that watch collecting was a hobby my wallet couldn’t justifiably afford (same with art) I’ve three I’m happy with, a vintage dress watch and two divers, I don’t dive 😂 But I have taken them in the sea and various pools although I probably shouldn’t. I can count the number of times I’ve worn a watch this year on two hands 😕 I know I’d regret selling any of them though.
  • shirley_basso

I looked so much I actually got bored of them, probably not a good sign.

Buyers remorse!
  • rick_chasey

All a mystery to me. My solar powered watch just keeps the time. No servicing or battery replacement required.

Just see it as a bracelet.
    A bracelet is purely decoration though whereas watches have a function, in theory. Perhaps it is more like cufflinks. Just ones that don't work particularly well and need expensive servicing.

I think some people are simply trying to make a statement about their wealth. Others like vintage technology such as steam trains.
    Sure. It's jewellery. It's not that complicated.
  • Buyers remorse!

There is definitely plenty of that amongst watch enthusiasts!
  • rick_chasey
    Was tempted by these casios but I'm just not sure.

• I realised quite early on that watch collecting was a hobby my wallet couldn’t justifiably afford (same with art) I’ve three I’m happy with, a vintage dress watch and two divers, I don’t dive 😂 But I have taken them in the sea and various pools although I probably shouldn’t. I can count the number of times I’ve worn a watch this year on two hands 😕 I know I’d regret selling any of them though.

Same for me. I think having limited budget is actually a good thing though as you focus on what you really want and also keep the collection to a level where you can actually make the most of them and not have loads of stuff collecting dust.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    edited July 2023
    Just incase anyone thought I was all about bling and money...
    Here is what I actually wear depending on clothes. The thinness and weight of the dress one always brings a smile to my face.
    Seiko gold, and Seiko titanium.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    For a lot of people, it seems to be a status symbol. Look at me, my watch cost a 4 figure sum.

I have a Garmin and a Holtzkern. The latter is a Citizen watch in another case. Didn't cost very much, looks interesting and no-one else has one.

But I can't say ya ya my bonus was good this year.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,636
    edited July 2023

For a lot of people, it seems to be a status symbol. Look at me, my watch cost a 4 figure sum.

I have a Garmin and a Holtzkern. The latter is a Citizen watch in another case. Didn't cost very much, looks interesting and no-one else has one.

I agree, both of mine above are status symbols & jewelry that actually only mean anything to me, both having been to celebrate life milestones. In addition I have a couple of Casios, a Seiko and a couple of Garmins; I like watches, which is why I have several, I wear whichever takes my fancy but the main purpose is to tell the time.... even though I have a phone that does that!!!
  • rick_chasey

I don't think anyone is especially like that in this thread tbf. Most people cut their taste to their means. I'm as interested in £80 casios as I am in £800 vintage dress watches (though there are some very nice £2000 versions)

I find a lot of the expensive watches, rolexes etc, just too big and samey for me so I'll probably never partake.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    Fair enough. I completely get the arbitrary fascination with decorative objects. There doesn't have to be a reason.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,507
    Stevo_666 said:

I quite like this at least it's bang on accurate (atomic radio signal).

I have a G Shock that sets its time from the atomic clock to set my mechanicals.

Or else get a Seiko with a spring drive movement - mechanical movement with quartz escapement and quartz accuracy.

I seem to have accidentally started collecting g shocks. Including a gold (plated) one which I'm informed makes me look like a prick.
  • Interestingly, with the way the market has gone, I think the status symbol types are in decline as they simply can't get hold of the traditional status watches like a Rolex. I would say the majority of Rolex and Patek traded now are through the so called 'grey market', it is basically people just trading them to make a profit. I doubt many of these watches actually see the light of day other than being bought and sold.
  • rick_chasey
    Weird isn't it?
  • shirley_basso
    Much like many objects which are in limited supply but high demand. (Art, Cars, Trainers, Watches, Handbags....)

The arguement against MidlandsGrimpeur2 is that the people who can afford these objects are weathier than ever, so demand is up.

I think I read somewhere that access to Rolexes is becoming easier for certain models. Grey market for Daytonas is still mental.
  • seanoconn

Much like many objects which are in limited supply but high demand. (Art, Cars, Trainers, Watches, Handbags....)

The arguement against MidlandsGrimpeur2 is that the people who can afford these objects are weathier than ever, so demand is up.

I think I read somewhere that access to Rolexes is becoming easier for certain models. Grey market for Daytonas is still mental.

Building a rapport with a dealer gets you promoted on the Rolex waiting list. And by rapport they mean regularly buying pieces that aren’t in demand. No thanks.

Is it too late for me to win Wimbledon and be sponsored by Rolex?
  • shirley_basso
    Quite.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,768
    WTF!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    I very rarely wear a watch these days as I get a rash on my arm when I do so I'm limited to wearing my Garmin when running and one of my 'proper' watches when I go out. None of them are particularly fancy or valuable in a financial sense but have sentimental value.

watches

All were presents from the wife. The Accurist was my wedding present, the Diesel a Christmas present, Rotary 40th birthday and Ingersoll 25th anniversary. I love the Ingersoll as a piece of jewellery / work of art but it isn't easy to use to tell the time! I like getting the chance to wear them all other than the Diesel which I used to wear as an everyday watch but find too bulky and heavy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395

It's an easy assumption to make and there people who do that, but doesn't apply to a lot of genuine watch enthusiasts, which I think is case for people posting on this thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

I quite like this at least it's bang on accurate (atomic radio signal).

I have a G Shock that sets its time from the atomic clock to set my mechanicals.

Or else get a Seiko with a spring drive movement - mechanical movement with quartz escapement and quartz accuracy.

I seem to have accidentally started collecting g shocks. Including a gold (plated) one which I'm informed makes me look like a censored .
    Nothing wrong with G Shocks. Some are a bit naff looking but they can't be beaten for functionality, value for money and great for knocking around.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shirley_basso
    Stevo_666 said:

It's an easy assumption to make and there people who do that, but doesn't apply to a lot of genuine watch enthusiasts, which I think is case for people posting on this thread.
    You could liken it to an amateur cyclist having a pro-tour level bike. DA over Ultegra etc etc.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

Stevo_666 said:

You could liken it to an amateur cyclist having a pro-tour level bike. DA over Ultegra etc etc.
    Yes, what's that all about?