Will Cav Win A Stage ?

124»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Philipsen is incredibly lucky he has someone of MvdP's calibre who is willing to put it all on the line for the team.

Even the sprint into stage 8, the reasoning he gave for helping Philipsen was because it made sense for him to collect the green points.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,531

Philipsen is incredibly lucky he has someone of MvdP's calibre who is willing to put it all on the line for the team.

Even the sprint into stage 8, the reasoning he gave for helping Philipsen was because it made sense for him to collect the green points.

He's just heard all the gushing over his rival's domestique performances and wants in on the act.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

I suspect he will stay retired. I think crashes were a part of the original reason for retiring, so I doubt after a bit of thought, another crash will persuade him to continue.

This, I don't see him reversing his decision. With every year the likelihood of him winning that extra stage will diminish (although he has shown he is definitely still capable at the moment). I think the only thing that might tempt him to give it another season is to go out on his own terms if he is unable to race again this season but then you risk the same thing happening again.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I suspect he will put off the decision until the tail end of the year, and maybe it will hinge on whether or who Astana can get into support him, as they don't have the team there currently.

It would be awesome if Ineos took him on for one final year, dedicated the big guns to his leadout, especially as they have no GC contenders for the Tour currently.
    I can't see it happening though sadly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308
    daniel_b said:

I suspect he will put off the decision until the tail end of the year, and maybe it will hinge on whether or who Astana can get into support him, as they don't have the team there currently.

It would be awesome if Ineos took him on for one final year, dedicated the big guns to his leadout, especially as they have no GC contenders for the Tour currently.

No nor me. One thing I will say is that Cav probably realises he needs to decide soon. Not the tail end of the year. People need to plan.

He holds the record. OK with someone else but it’s still his.

I think he will stay with Astana if carries on. But I don’t think he will.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Pross said:

I suspect he will stay retired. I think crashes were a part of the original reason for retiring, so I doubt after a bit of thought, another crash will persuade him to continue.

This, I don't see him reversing his decision. With every year the likelihood of him winning that extra stage will diminish (although he has shown he is definitely still capable at the moment). I think the only thing that might tempt him to give it another season is to go out on his own terms if he is unable to race again this season but then you risk the same thing happening again.
    Yep, it's already a little shock that he got as close as he did this season. Another year older, and you struggle to see it...which is gutting.

I feel like he's the last cyclist from the era when I used to watch during the summer holidays with my dad. Watching him win all the stages in 2021, the year after my dad passed away brought back many happy memories.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    daniel_b said:

According to PCS, Astana only have six riders contracted for next year. It gives them a degree of flexibility on who they bring in. Might Cav be tempted if he could stipulate who they sign to support him?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited July 2023
    If they did it and it didn't work, Astana would be almost certainties for relegation at end of 2025.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

If they did it and it didn't work, Astana would be almost certainties for relegation at end of 2025.

They already are well adrift. They need to do something different to what they have been doing.

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I think it would be madness to go back on the decision to retire.

There are reasons that caused the decision to be made at the time he did.

One tdf crash won't have changed that.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    There were rumours it was more choosing a dignified retirement rather than through not getting a ride though. That might have changed now, if it were true.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    edited July 2023
    Cav had a difficult pre season, finding a team, that team didn’t materialise, finding a team that wanted Cav wasn’t easy. that might have played into retirement plans.

Another tdf stage wouldn’t define his career but the interest in breaking the record has been greatly underestimated. With a Netflix documentary in August raising his profile further, that interest will grow.

We’d like to see him win another stage, the tdf would like him to win a stage and most importantly Cav would like to break the record. You’re a long time retired and while he’s still competitive he should (I think he will) give it another go.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    He should go on Strictly and win that. It would raise his profile far more in the UK than another Tour stage win.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    andyp said:

He should go on Strictly and win that. It would raise his profile far more in the UK than another Tour stage win.

He could do that too.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    andyp said:

Not sure the rules allow him to do that

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Can't see they'd have a problem with him on the Christmas special, but yeah, even by the standards of Strictly ringers it'd be a bit too much for the main show.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

andyp said:

He swallowed his pride and retired years ago though.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

andyp said:

It's a light entertainment show, I don't think they have proper rules.