TDF 2023: Stage 4:- Dax to Nogaro Circuit, 182km ***Spoilers***

12346»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Seems weird to then not penalize Philipsen as well, since he was the benefactor of said barging. That being said, having MvdP as a lead out is a cheat code.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

JimD666 said:

What did van der Poel do to get himself relegated from 16th to 22nd place? Missed it completely.

Barged Girmay out of the way
    Ta.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Seriously?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Who, me or him? I'm not getting much below 60.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

The uno x lead out rider caused the last one when drifting back.

This one was a bit of a shocker IMHO, just seemed to completely switch off as soon as he's finished his turn even while people were going full sprint around him.

Also it might just be me misremembering but I'm sure people leading out the sprint used to make more of an effort to get out of the way after doing their turn. Now they just seem to drop through the middle of the bunch
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    m.r.m. said:

Seems weird to then not penalize Philipsen as well, since he was the benefactor of said barging. That being said, having MvdP as a lead out is a cheat code.

Always the way. Cavendish kept the win that Renshaw got him the day he did the headbutt. He made sure to take out the competition when he'd finished the lead out as well.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    r0bh said:

This one was a bit of a shocker IMHO, just seemed to completely switch off as soon as he's finished his turn even while people were going full sprint around him.

Also it might just be me misremembering but I'm sure people leading out the sprint used to make more of an effort to get out of the way after doing their turn. Now they just seem to drop through the middle of the bunch
    This has always been a problem ..in the 90s they said the same thing about it being dangerous and how riders didn't do it in the 80s ... I think riders blow and literally unable to do anything.. the freshness of the riders today may be the issue
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    r0bh said:

The UnoX rider does drift right a little after he finishes his lead-out but I think his wheel may get a slight brush from maybe van Poppel before he then wobbles further right, taking down the Cofidis rider.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

r0bh said:

This has always been a problem ..in the 90s they said the same thing about it being dangerous and how riders didn't do it in the 80s ... I think riders blow and literally unable to do anything.. the freshness of the riders today may be the issue
    I think it was Waerenskjold and he was later penalised by the race jury.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    m.r.m. said:

They can't penalise Philipsen just because potentially Girmay might have caught him without Van der Poel's interference, because Girmay may not have done anyway.
    But it sounds like they could have penalised Philipsen for Jakobsen's crash, in which Guanieri was also brought down and has had to drop out with a collarbone break.

Anyone know exactly why Bauhaus was penalised? The report I saw only said 'for hindering another rider in the run-up to the sprint' while I also heard from others that the incident was 1.8 km (!) out from the finish.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2023
    jimmyjams said:

Anyone know exactly why Bauhaus was penalised? The report I saw only said 'for hindering another rider in the run-up to the sprint' while I also heard from others that the incident was 1.8 km (!) out from the finish.

Irregular movement. The commissaires must have rejected the concept of reimaging of material world to reflect the unity of all the arts.

(Yes I googled it)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Jakobsen still kicking off about Alpecin train behaviour. Livid
  • rick_chasey
    On the rear racing cam in the bunch they’ve caught the Jakobsen crash and he’s trying to wrestle Philipsen off MvdP’s wheel and Philipsen doesn’t budge.

Jakobsen then is briefly off balance and gets his shifter caught under the saddle of the rider to his other side and then he goes down.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    And a normalised power which is not even zone 2 for him!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Misleading statement re 'during today's stage', should have read 'while had the monitor on and working today including sitting on the bus pre-stage as well as while riding the stage' or summat. Internet expertpeeps innit.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    andyp said:

The Wim Van Est story is well worth a read. This is an excerpt on it from Wikipedia:

The next day, in defence of his position, Van Est was chasing the leaders on the descent of the Col d'Aubisque. He was following Fiorenzo Magni on the descent, a very strong rider who had already won two Giro's as well as two Tour Stages, who had superior descending skill. Due to a flat tyre (according to Van Est himself), in conjunction with snow melt and many loose stones on the road he lost control of his bike and went over the cliff. He instinctively kicked his bike away as he fell and of the riders, officials and fans, Belgian rider Roger Decock was the only person to see him go over the ravine.

The ravine was approximately 1,000 feet or 300 meters deep, and much of it was steep enough that a falling person would continue falling all the way to the bottom. Van Est fell about 200 feet or 70 meters trying to grab at the saplings growing on the mountainside to break his fall. Fortunately he slowed and was able to grab hold of a small tree nearby a one meter wide outcrop, which he then made his way to. Even if he wanted to he could not climb back up or down, despite the fact he did not suffer any major injury.

As Van Est precariously sat overlooking a several hundred foot drop he began screaming for help. Fortunately Decock stopped when Van Est went over, giving up his 5th place in the overall standings dropping to 17th by the end of the Tour as a result of the 25 minutes he lost assisting the Dutchman.[4] When the Dutch team car arrived and were told what happened they screamed down the mountain for him for several minutes hearing nothing but echoes. After a few minutes they were able to find his approximate location. It took the team quite some time to tie together every single tire tube they had in order to make a rope that they hoped would reach him. After a great deal of time their 75 meter "rope" reached Van Est and he was able to use the tires to rig together a hoist which he put around his chest under both arms.

Helped by spectators and his manager, he managed to get back to the road. Van Est wanted to continue, but was persuaded to go to the hospital because he had just crashed down a 200 foot ravine.

At home, Van Est's fame grew even more when Belgian watchmaker Pontiac, which had supplied watches to the Dutch team in the Tour de France, started an advertising campaign "Seventy meters deep I dropped, my heart stood still but my Pontiac never stopped".[5]

I have included a little of this story in tomorrow's thread.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

On the rear racing cam in the bunch they’ve caught the Jakobsen crash and he’s trying to wrestle Philipsen off MvdP’s wheel and Philipsen doesn’t budge.

Jakobsen then is briefly off balance and gets his shifter caught under the saddle of the rider to his other side and then he goes down.

Sounds more like his fault there than Alpecin's. 🤷‍♂️
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023