National Championships 2023 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    GCN/Eurosport are covering the UK, French, Italian and Spanish road races.
    This afternoon’s viewing choice is the Italian men or the French women. (The Spanish women raced this morning)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Men’s cycling getting the low priority treatment.
    No commentary for the Italian race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Tough loop in France.
    Cofidis rider Victoire Berteau mugs 2 FDJ riders to take her first pro win.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Love the: "I'm booked on the 19:18 train from Lille, but I'll be having some champagne and beer instead" line in the winner's interview!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Didn’t FDJ manage to get mugged last year as well.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Looks like the weather is going to play a major role in the GB men's race.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    bm5 said:

Looks like the weather is going to play a major role in the GB men's race.

I think 10 times up Saltburn bank might also play a major role. :)
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Derek Gee(!) and Paula Findlay new elite Canadian time trial champions

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Does anyone know of an upto date startlist for both the mens and womens races today?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    daniel_b said:

Does anyone know of an upto date startlist for both the mens and womens races today?

For the British champs: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/Start_Lists.pdf
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    The lack of on-screen graphics is a PITA.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Impressive ride and finish there by Pfeiffer G.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Pfieffer Georgi monsters final climb to win
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Nice challenging course for the British Champs. Why does British cycling coverage struggle with having the most basic of information on screen such as gaps between groups? It can’t be that much of a challenge in this day and age.

Just started watching the French men’s race and that looks a decent circuit too. You get proper graphics on that race but have to put up with a certain commentator.
  • Pross
    French race has 2 FDJ riders and 2 Arkea riders trying to bridge to 1 FDJ and 1 Arkea with one AG2R rider just managing to get back to the chasers.

All together now with a lead of 1:08.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    GCN coverage of the British men’s seems to be delayed
  • Pross
    edited June 2023
    Simon Carr looking for a long one, attacking more or less from the start with a domestic pro glued to his wheel, two riders eventually getting to them Tarling and Lawless (riding for Lotto’s development team).

Edit - Harry Macfarlane is the fourth rider, not sure how long he can stay there. Already a big gap.
  • Pross
    Quite a few riders have now got across with some strong riders in there. Luke Rowe, Askey, Stevie Williams amongst them
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Fat bloke in vest randomly decides to wander across the road in front of the lead group.
  • Pross
    Had an impromptu siesta as the effects of my morning run caught up on me and it now looks like the TV coverage is having one too (or I slept longer than I thought and the race has finished). Ah, it’s woken up again.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    gweeds said:

The lack of on-screen graphics is a PITA.

can anyone tell me vaguely how far to go? 1, 2h?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    120-130km left I think
  • Pross
    122km now so around 3 hours I’d guess.

Tullett had gone solo but now joined by Owain Doull. Raining and getting a touch slippery in places.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Ben Healey wins Irish title with c100km solo break
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Turned into a strong looking group now with Conor Swift doing some damage. Around 10 riders with Wright, Stevie Williams and Rowe in there too. Not really working very well though and it looks like a few others will get across.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    Really enjoying the UK road. A local guy I know has just got back to the main front group!
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932

Really enjoying the UK road. A local guy I know has just got back to the main front group!

Ah well, he's abandoned. Steep learning curve, but great experience nonetheless
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    I want Fred to win
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Good race in redcar
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Then there were 3...