2023 Giro rest day 1

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,659
    Bit of mutual respect between Remco and Geraint on social media. Think I saw something that Remco messaged Thomas to let him know before the official announcement
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Pross said:

Bit of mutual respect between Remco and Geraint on social media. Think I saw something that Remco messaged Thomas to let him know before the official announcement

This is mentioned in G and Rowe’s most recent podcast - they still refer to him (to continue their gentle jibe at him) as the little b* but also indicate their respect for him contacting G prior to the news being released.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Pross said:

I'm not a huge fan of Evenepoel, but fair play to him for doing this given he knew Thomas was going to immediately face a load of press questions and would appreciate time to get his own thoughts straight.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    G tapping him up to join Ineos next year??
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 713
    A strange poll – one that doesn't include as options early 4* favourites like Vlasov and Almeida (when Thomas was only then 3*) and ignores Vine as well as Caruso and Kämna, all still within 3 min odd.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 713
    chris_ne said:

phreak said:

andyp said:

phreak said:

Col de Grand Saint Bernard is OUT

Que?
    Still has a deep covering of snow.
    There's nothing on the Giro Twitter feed about route changes.
    There are plenty of sources on twitter saying they are going through the tunnel. We are forecast snow down to 1000m on Wednesday here in Austria, this is due to a low pressure system coming from Italy so I suspect they will have similar further West.
    The other day (Sat or Sun, I forget which) Jens Voigt and Bernie Eisel discussed the St Bernard tunnel possibility and felt it likely won't make any difference to tactics or result. I agree, it comes early on during the stage. However, I wonder if the Cima Coppi designation will then be altered -. the tunnel is lower than the second big climb that stage.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,659
    jimmyjams said:

A strange poll – one that doesn't include as options early 4* favourites like Vlasov and Almeida (when Thomas was only then 3*) and ignores Vine as well as Caruso and Kämna, all still within 3 min odd.

Not really, it’s the current top 3 and then an option of anyone else.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    edited May 2023
    jimmyjams said:

They were the top four on GC (I didn't know that Evenepoel had pulled out) and have all won a Grand Tour. After that you could make a case for a dozen riders. So I just chose 'someone else'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,913
    RichN95. said:

jimmyjams said:

They were the top four on GC (I didn't know that Evenepoel had pulled out) and have all won a Grand Tour. After that you could make a case for a dozen riders. So I just chose 'someone else'
    Thought it was a good poll

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited May 2023

Col de Grand Saint Bernard is OUT

This should have been the Cima Coppi, no?

I posted that in the pre race chat thread, has been in doubt for a while.

Looks like the Cima Coppi might be in doubt - snow isn't cleared yet and more expected...

• mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Best ride of first week Healy or TGH putting a dozen or so secs into Kung in a pan flat TT ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,849

Best ride of first week Healy or TGH putting a dozen or so secs into Kung in a pan flat TT ?

Healy. Planned, calculated and sustained for a long time.
    TGH's TT was excellent but short in comparison.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    Would Küng be better at another (more professional) team like JV or Ineos or QS?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

Would Küng be better at another (more professional) team like JV or Ineos or QS?

grouparma are not the least drilled team by any stretch but to answer your question. Yes