2023 Giro rest day 1

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,153
So who is going to win?
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,769
    Well, it's not going to be Remco now he is out of the race, is it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    I want TGH to win, but I think Roglic will manage it in his usual way.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    Feels like there is a risk that any rider can suddenly be pulled out with covid.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    Went for Roglic in PTP so sticking with him but he hasn’t looked great.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,928
    edited May 2023
    Sticking with my PTP pick but wouldn't be at all upset if G stayed in yellow pink
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 666
    I think Roglic will be super strong once he's over his self diagnosed COVID. If he takes down too many of his team mates in the process it might be wise to look at teams who don't have the contagion in their ranks yet. Almeida or Vine?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    JimD666 said:

Sticking with my PTP pick but wouldn't be at all upset if G stayed in yellow

Yellow? Wrong race, mate.
  • JimD666
    andyp said:

JimD666 said:

I have no idea where that particular idiocy came from.
  • andyp
    JimD666 said:

andyp said:

JimD666 said:

I have no idea where that particular idiocy came from.
    Let's chalk it down to being an early start on a Monday morning.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    What's the thinking behind those who with TGH will beat Thomas?

If I'm honest I've barely seen TGH race so I don't really know him.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,598
    I'm vaguely confident in Thomas now. On the basis that hes coming into his better form whereas TGH has been hot prior to the race. Age difference may cancel that out though?
    I just feel Rog isn't quite as dominant right now.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847

l

Better up hill presently

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

I'm vaguely confident in Thomas now. On the basis that hes coming into his better form whereas TGH has been hot prior to the race. Age difference may cancel that out though?

Pretty much the same though I suspect TGH is coming into form too
    His peak wasn't at the tour d Alps
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,598

Pretty much the same though I suspect TGH is coming into form too
    His peak wasn't at the tour d Alps
    Be interesting to see how it plays out. Thomas said this was his last tilt at GC on a GT so it would be nice to see him win, especially after all his previous bad luck. Equally, to see TGH back up 2020 and cement his status would be great.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    Well let's hope the Rona doesn't decimate the race any further.
  • andyp

l

Better up hill presently

TGH has also shown he can handle the final week of the Giro well, which counts for a lot I think.

To be honest, I wouldn't like to call it, I think if Roglic, Thomas and TGH all remain healthy then it could be a very interesting, and tactical, race for the win.
  • JimD666
    Biggest difference could be strength of the teams. JV aren't exactly running their first team after covid and crashing before the race started. INEOS have lost Ganna, but that's it.

So far at least. 🤞🤞
  • pblakeney
    From Day 1 after the TT.
    If the Giro is anything it is unpredictable.
    pblakeney said:

Pfft another TT before the rest day, race is probably sown up by then

Except this is the Giro and things rarely go to plan.
    The cycling gods will figure out something to keep it interesting. 🤞
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Given he won that TT with covid, I’d suggest that covid aside it was sown up, but we’ll never know.

I think bragging about a “a lot can happen” post after the first stage isn’t really all that > it’s not like you’re sticking your neck out are you?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Official Giro website still has Remco in pink. I guess he formally stays in it until he doesn't line up tomorrow?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    I'm on team Geraint, despite being the second biggest Tao fanboy on the forum. Last summer he showed what he can do when in form - nobody else came close to being able to hang with Vingegaard and Pog - and he looks like he's coming into form now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,754
    No idea who will win. But I know who I want to win :)
  • andyp

I'm on team Geraint, despite being the second biggest Tao fanboy on the forum. Last summer he showed what he can do when in form - nobody else came close to being able to hang with Vingegaard and Pog - and he looks like he's coming into form now.

How are we measuring the Tao fanboy classification?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    My heart is saying Thomas, as he is coming to the end of his career, or at least as a genuine contender, but I have a feeling TGH is that little bit better on the climbs, and I think will be able to react to Roglic's attacks more effectively, but time will tell.

Thank goodness we have a few (currently) contenders, otherwise it could prove very boring.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    Tashman said:

Official Giro website still has Remco in pink. I guess he formally stays in it until he doesn't line up tomorrow?

Yup
  • pblakeney

Given he won that TT with covid, I’d suggest that covid aside it was sown up, but we’ll never know.

I think bragging about a “a lot can happen” post after the first stage isn’t really all that > it’s not like you’re sticking your neck out are you?

:DB)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Real shame about Evenepoel - I was looking forward to seeing how he did later into the race.

Just hope that the others don't go out with it as well, although I guess the race might go wide open in that case (like when TGH won before)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I feel like it's too close to call. If it were before yesterday's ITT I'd probably lean towards Thomas, but I think the final ITT doesn't suit him as much and Rogliç can probably snipe enough time elsewhere to nick it.

The confounding factor is TGH, who I thought had room to grow still when he won in 2020. He's not exactly demanded leader status since, but that might suit him.

Plenty of other riders who might sneak into consideration, too. Ineos are probably better placed than many to cope with two people high up on gc, but if they dither at a crucial moment because of it somebody might get away and come back into the reckoning.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153

Plenty of other riders who might sneak into consideration, too. Ineos are probably better placed than many to cope with two people high up on gc, but if they dither at a crucial moment because of it somebody might get away and come back into the reckoning.

Ineos themselves have that option. They're got five riders in the top 13.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited May 2023
    One of the other Ineos riders winning it by mistake somehow feels like the Giroest option, now you mention it