2023 Giro rest day 1

Comments

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 684

Tashman said:

Official Giro website still has Remco in pink. I guess he formally stays in it until he doesn't line up tomorrow?

Yup
    I know a lot of pros prefer not to inherit a jersey through misfortune, but does that mean that there's nobody starting in pink tomorrow?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    Historically with a rider in the leader's jersey Sky/Ineos would revert to type and setup a train. I suspect Roglic would like that, so I wonder if they will use their numerical superiority to send riders up the road and make Roglic chase.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    phreak said:

Historically with a rider in the leader's jersey Sky/Ineos would revert to type and setup a train. I suspect Roglic would like that, so I wonder if they will use their numerical superiority to send riders up the road and make Roglic chase.

A good and sound tactic. I'd imagine hard work and very difficult to implement.
    Winning a GT shouldn't be easy though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,914
    andyp said:

What's the thinking behind those who with TGH will beat Thomas?

If I'm honest I've barely seen TGH race so I don't really know him.

l

Better up hill presently

TGH has also shown he can handle the final week of the Giro well, which counts for a lot I think.

To be honest, I wouldn't like to call it, I think if Roglic, Thomas and TGH all remain healthy then it could be a very interesting, and tactical, race for the win.
    Tao was strong in the third the year he won

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

phreak said:

A good and sound tactic. I'd imagine hard work and very difficult to implement.
    Winning a GT shouldn't be easy though.
    Roglic has to attack ASAP before ineos deploy there numbers . He needs to be ahead of any tactical shenanigans.. he may find help from Caruso who has to/may go long and blunt ineos by making them chase all day instead of sending whack a moles up the road

Roglic needs to shoot first

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    Roglic really has to take his chances when he can, Ineos have a strong team. Saying that, perhaps Rohan will start towing Rog round Italy like he did for Tao in 2020.
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 232

Tashman said:

Official Giro website still has Remco in pink. I guess he formally stays in it until he doesn't line up tomorrow?

Yup
    I know a lot of pros prefer not to inherit a jersey through misfortune, but does that mean that there's nobody starting in pink tomorrow?
    I think, technically, Remco ‘won’ the pink jersey yesterday. He isnt out until he doesnt start on Tuesday so I think it is right that there is no-one racing the pink jersey tomorrow. Or maybe the white one
  • stage_hunter
    roscoe said:

Roglic really has to take his chances when he can, Ineos have a strong team. Saying that, perhaps Rohan will start towing Rog round Italy like he did for Tao in 2020.

I dont think Dennis is in that form
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,604
    Not convinced Dennis is in particularly good form currently, or they are sandbagging for that exact purpose, being useful in the final two weeks.

He was also a last minute call up.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    I think Dennis already has one foot in retirement
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    edited May 2023
    roscoe said:

I think the first priority for Roglic is not necessarily to attack, but to drop some of Ineos out of contention so he has fewer riders to mark. If he can lose one Bora and one UAE as well that's a bonus. Basically the old Sky tactic used against them
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    Hopefully Ineos can work over Roglic in the same way that Jumbo worked over Pogacar at the Tour.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,775

Tashman said:

Yup
    I think, technically, Remco ‘won’ the pink jersey yesterday. He isnt out until he doesnt start on Tuesday so I think it is right that there is no-one racing the pink jersey tomorrow. Or maybe the white one
    I believe the jersey is worn by the leader of the race which is now G. It isn’t won until the end of the race.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    It seems one of the Wanty riders has tested positive but has said he's continuing in the race.
  • stage_hunter

Tashman said:

Yup
    I believe the jersey is worn by the leader of the race which is now G. It isn’t won until the end of the race.
    Last time this happened (Tony Martin) no one wore yellow.

Time before that was when Rasmussen was thrown off the 2007 tour. Contador didnt wear yellow.

Last time it happened in the Giro was 1999. Gotti wore pink the next day after Pantani left.

So Giro precedent suggests Thomas will wear Pink. GT examples suggest opposite
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,949
    Kung not starting tomorrow either. Being rested before his next races if I'm using google translate properly*.

*Actually said "being put to rest" which I thought was a bit harsh
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    FDJ want him to ride the Tour, so he's quit the Giro now to prepare.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,304
    Col de Grand Saint Bernard is OUT
  • phreak

Que?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    phreak said:

Que?
    Still has a deep covering of snow.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339

This should have been the Cima Coppi, no?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    andyp said:

I'm on team Geraint, despite being the second biggest Tao fanboy on the forum. Last summer he showed what he can do when in form - nobody else came close to being able to hang with Vingegaard and Pog - and he looks like he's coming into form now.

How are we measuring the Tao fanboy classification?
    I believe @mididoctors is/was a Hackney CC rider, so he's got precedence. I only grew up in Stoke Newington, and left the country before Tao was 12 months old
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • phreak
    andyp said:

phreak said:

Que?
    There's nothing on the Giro Twitter feed about route changes.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    Mulling over the Covid issue at the Giro, it’s odd to me why cycling seems so badly affected. I can’t think of any other major sport that recently had players dropping out due to Covid.

Football. Formula 1. Rugby etc

Perhaps I just don’t take a close enough interest to notice.
  • phreak
    https://www.astra.admin.ch/astra/fr/home/documentation/communiques-de-presse/anzeige-meldungen.msg-id-95133.html

The official website of the transport office says that there will be road closures because of the race, not that the road will be closed and therefore no race.
  • mididoctors

andyp said:

I'm on team Geraint, despite being the second biggest Tao fanboy on the forum. Last summer he showed what he can do when in form - nobody else came close to being able to hang with Vingegaard and Pog - and he looks like he's coming into form now.

I believe @mididoctors is/was a Hackney CC rider, so he's got precedence. I only grew up in Stoke Newington, and left the country before Tao was 12 months old
    I taught him everything he knows and he owes me everything....

Kidding aside him and Alex used to complain we were riding too slow..they were 15-16 at the time

• chris_ne
    chris_ne Posts: 17
    phreak said:

andyp said:

phreak said:

Que?
    There's nothing on the Giro Twitter feed about route changes.
    There are plenty of sources on twitter saying they are going through the tunnel. We are forecast snow down to 1000m on Wednesday here in Austria, this is due to a low pressure system coming from Italy so I suspect they will have similar further West.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,393
    Touch of the van Vleutens about this. I may start watching now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,604

andyp said:

Kidding aside him and Alex used to complain we were riding too slow..they were 15-16 at the time

What great memories to have :-)

Is that Alex, as in Peters?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    daniel_b said:

andyp said:

What great memories to have :-)

Is that Alex, as in Peters?
    Yeah

There was another lad Clem who I reckon could have gone pro but went to uni instead ... Saw him hold 700 watts for a frighteningly long time