Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 9: Savignano sul Rubicone - Cesena, 35.0 km For the Testers ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Tour just got more interesting

I dont think Fabio Jakobsen would be too impressed. But that has to be a possibility now. Vuelta more likely I’d think
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Could be won by anyone ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Real blow for the race ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Roglic is the one wearing a mask in interviews
  • mididoctors
    Ineos in the jersey by 2 secs ....roglic is definitely going to attack
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

Tour just got more interesting

I dont think Fabio Jakobsen would be too impressed. But that has to be a possibility now. Vuelta more likely I’d think
    I don't think SQS want Evenepoel racing against Pogacar
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Wasn't expecting that. A blow for the race in many ways.
    Can the Ineos boys hold off Roglic?
    Will one of the others go down with Covid too?
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    I wonder what the odds are on G or TGH making it to the end after Ganna leaving with Covid.
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Wasn't expecting that. A blow for the race in many ways.
    Can the Ineos boys hold off Roglic?
    Will one of the others go down with Covid too?

IIRC in the 2020 Giro there was a plethora of Covid withdrawals up to and including the first rest day. Then not a single positive.

Close proximity to someone with covid doesnt equal catching it. Ive spent a weekend in a hotel room with Mrs SH followed by 10 hour drive home when she was feeling unwell. Immediately we got home, she tested and she had covid. I didnt get it.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    When tao won JV had gone home due to covid as I remember.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    What are the actual rules for covid now? I'm reading mixed messages about whether it's entirely voluntary or whether it's only at the teams' discretion when it comes to asymptomatic cases.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,635

What are the actual rules for covid now? I'm reading mixed messages about whether it's entirely voluntary or whether it's only at the teams' discretion when it comes to asymptomatic cases.

It's just like any other illness and it's up to the team's discretion.

I think trying to ride a grand tour with covid, given its propensity to offer up unpredictable long-term effects, is really not sensible, so I think this is all very sensible.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

It's just like any other illness and it's up to the team's discretion.

I think trying to ride a grand tour with covid, given its propensity to offer up unpredictable long-term effects, is really not sensible, so I think this is all very sensible.
    Daniel Friebe was saying on the Cycling Podcast, when discussing the Roglic has Covid rumour, that Jumbo-Visma's protocol is to withdraw any rider who returns a positive test, even if they are asymptomatic, as the primary goal is to protect the rider's health. Presumably most, if not all, teams have a similar protocol in place.
  • andyp
    I mean, you just have to look at the cases of Tim Declerq and Lizzy Banks to see that Covid can have long term and potentially career ending impacts on a rider.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    I thought it was long term effects of concussion that took out Lizzy Banks?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    orraloon said:

Yes, but after that she got COVID and myocarditis
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

None ..you can do what you want is what friebe was saying
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

I mean, you just have to look at the cases of Tim Declerq and Lizzy Banks to see that Covid can have long term and potentially career ending impacts on a rider.

Sagan
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    orraloon said:

I think she got the double hit of both, one more or less after the other
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Thanks all.

My expectation is that teams have a pretty good idea from training data etc what the true impact of a dose can be - and the risks of not managing it - hence wondering if it was mandated or not still. That they'll voluntarily pull a race leader strongly suggests the data isn't encouraging, regardless of what some people would like to believe.
  • andyp
    JimD666 said:

orraloon said:

I think she got the double hit of both, one more or less after the other
    Exactly. She suffered from a concussion following her crash at the 2021 Strade Bianche, which effectively ended her season. Then in the spring of 2022 she got Covid and ended up with pericarditis (I think that's how you spell it) that ended her 2022 season.

I believe she's due to race in the US, at the Joe Martin stage race, later this week. Her first race in over a year. Wishing her good luck and good health!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Be interesting to see what happens if say a rider tests positive while leading the race and only a few stages to go. Where does the balance of risk and reward kick change the decision ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Be interesting to see what happens if say a rider tests positive while leading the race and only a few stages to go. Where does the balance of risk and reward kick change the decision ?

I suspect the teams would be terrified of the litigation that could ensue if they allowed a rider to carry on having tested positive and then something bad happened.
  • mididoctors
    You don't want to be riding the giro 2 weeks to go with covid no matter how you feel
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    edited May 2023
    No... but 2-3 days to go with a few minutes on GC ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors

No... but 2-3 days to go with a few minutes on GC ?

Maybe 🤔

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    My assumption is that Remco was asymptomatic or at most had very mild symptoms. I assumed when I had it last year it was pretty mild but I was still having to sleep a few times a day and you don't win Giro stages with that sort of thing.
  • andyp
    Pross said:

My assumption is that Remco was asymptomatic or at most had very mild symptoms. I assumed when I had it last year it was pretty mild but I was still having to sleep a few times a day and you don't win Giro stages with that sort of thing.

He would have been fine on Friday.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Long covid can start out all very innocently, I woke up on day 2 of our hol seven months ago with a sore throat, plus dead legs I put down to a few efforts on day 1 and perhaps overdoing things just before the hol in hope of chasing my PBs up the climbs south east of Longleat.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    edited May 2023
    Even if he is asymptomatic, he can still pass it to others who may get whacked by it. So right that he is pulled.