Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 9: Savignano sul Rubicone - Cesena, 35.0 km For the Testers ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Disappointing for Almeida. He was supposed to be putting time into the better climbers.

Underwhelming
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Roglic is going to attack in the hills and open it up ...TGH maybe able to follow. Counter even
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Ineos definitely need to go proactive with one or more of the third - fifth options along with maybe Vine and someone like Haig. There’s a few teams with a second rider close enough to force SQS to work and burn their support especially as they aren’t looking very strong. Having three potential options is a huge plus. Be interesting to see how G and TGH go in the big mountains themselves though. Only 8 days since some were declaring race over!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Have to say, putting a TT on a weekend, on one of the few days I could've watched it live is very, very poor from the organizers...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Roglic is going to attack in the hills and open it up ...TGH maybe able to follow. Counter even

Im not convinced by this. I think, particularly in week 3, everyone will realise that burning matches before Monte Lussari is a risk. That last TT climb will loom large, and with the potential for 2 minute time swings, I’d expect it all to be decided that day now.

I would probably favour TGH. I dont think you will see too much from Ineos attacking wise. They will be largely happy if they gain 15 secs on Remco before stage 20 and get the rest on that stage
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I don't know much about Evenepoel but detecting quite a lot of distaste for him on various forums etc. GCN commentary mentioned it a few days ago that Merckx has little time for him. Just wondered what the background is? Anyone know?
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2023
    crescent said:

I don't know much about Evenepoel but detecting quite a lot of distaste for him on various forums etc. GCN commentary mentioned it a few days ago that Merckx has little time for him. Just wondered what the background is? Anyone know?

I think there's a feeling that he's a bit arrogant. Maybe a little hard not to be with the Belgian media hype. Merckx generally doesn't like anyone modern. It may also be the sort of fans he has on forums.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe Merckx hates Anderlecht.
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Have to say, putting a TT on a weekend, on one of the few days I could've watched it live is very, very poor from the organizers...

TTs and sprint stages should be allowed on the first and last weekends, but banned from the middle two.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

crescent said:

I think there's a feeling that he's a bit arrogant. Maybe a little hard not to be with the Belgian media hype. Merckx generally doesn't like anyone modern.
    He is still young ..he is less twatish each year
  • mididoctors
    I think roglic is going to attack on Friday
  • mididoctors
    Maybe even Thursday
  • mididoctors
    For what it's worth I don't think roglic or jumbo for that matter is going to leave it too a stage 20 mountain TT
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Roglic has history for fading in week 3
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Next episode of Watts Occurring will be.. entertaining?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    gsk82 said:

Does he? You can name two occasions, but I can cite four where he hasn't, so I'd say he's more likely to maintain his GC position than not.
  • RichN95.
    orraloon said:

Next episode of Watts Occurring will be.. entertaining?

The Little B*stard
  • RichN95.
    Talking of social media, I see that TGH is seen as grumpy. Don't they know that Man City won today
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    crescent said:

Blythe has said he didn’t like him much but then started to warm to him then there was something the other day (probably how he reacted to one of his crashes) which Blythe wasn’t impressed with.

I’ve found him hard to like for some reason and I have no reason why as he rides in a similar way to Pog who I do like and he seems OK in interviews.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Talking of social media, I see that TGH is seen as grumpy. Don't they know that Man City won today

Not the greatest interview is he ...

Fred Wright and G are good
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

crescent said:

Blythe has said he didn’t like him much but then started to warm to him then there was something the other day (probably how he reacted to one of his crashes) which Blythe wasn’t impressed with.

I’ve found him hard to like for some reason and I have no reason why as he rides in a similar way to Pog who I do like and he seems OK in interviews.
    Sort of guy who blames everyone else first ...it's immaturity
  • stage_hunter
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

Does he? You can name two occasions, but I can cite four where he hasn't, so I'd say he's more likely to maintain his GC position than not.
    2019 Giro. 2020 Vuelta. 2020 tour. 2019 Vuelta wasnt a strong finish either.

I would say that only the 2021 Vuelta he finished strongly. He hasn’t finished 3 of his last 4 GTs.

I dont think he will win. But I think he’s more likely to than Remco.
  • stage_hunter
    Remco gone- covid
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I wonder if there’s a cut off point, say they get down to 60 riders left. Do they keep going or what if only the sprinters are left.
    It could be Cav’s swan song.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Tour just got more interesting
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    FFS :'(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643

Tour just got more interesting

Until that gets ruined by covid too