Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 6: Napoli - Napoli, 162 km - Rolling ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993
    Caught, they blew that watching each other.

Pedersen takes the sprint.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,216
    Mads Pedersen
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,278
    It's going to be close
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    That was a insane sprint ....
  • Pross
    Superb finish. Clarke and De Marchi needed to keep driving until the last 50m but started playing around with 500m to go when it was clear there wasn't enough of a gap.
  • mididoctors
    Entertaining
  • Pross
    Gaviria went for the early one.

Pedersen from Milan, Ackerman and Groves.
  • Pross
    The stupidity of pro riders will always surprise me.
  • mididoctors
    Trek did a lot of the chasing ...along with ineos
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Slapstick finish. Hatch claiming they'll have everyone's sympathy underestimates quite how loudly I laughed.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I'm not even sure they managed to get the same time as the bunch in the end. What a mess.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,877

G down

Any sign of spooked horses nearby? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    They didn't want to work together as they didn't want the other guy to win. So both lost in the end. Quite funny.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,486
    "Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" is quite apt I think.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 693
    I've just watched the final 6k and despite already knowing the result, at the flamme rouge (or Italian equivalent) I still couldn't believe they weren't going to hold them off.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,781
    I've always thought a breakaway will lose 20s in the final kilometre of a flat sprint. Today they had 15s, so I think they would have lost even without the messing around.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,444

I've always thought a breakaway will lose 20s in the final kilometre of a flat sprint. Today they had 15s, so I think they would have lost even without the messing around.

Yeah, I think they were pretty doomed tbh. They might have got caught with 50m to go if they'd really pushed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,986

Yeah, I think they were pretty doomed tbh. They might have got caught with 50m to go if they'd really pushed
    At least they would of had some sympathy at that point rather than:

• mididoctors
    Simon clarke was philosophical about considering it was Demarchi who sat on first
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 742

JimD666 said:

Pross said:

There's a potato chaser in between and Bardiani appear to have been told they need someone in the break. Feels like they've left it too late though and are just going to annoy everyone.

OK so Hatch has just just the term "chasing potatoes".

Anyone able to enlighten the permanently bewildered as to its origin?
    Chasse patat. Dutch. Chasse being french for chase, and patat being dutch for chips ('cos the Flemish like to mix it up).

Comes from 6 days, something to do with the kind of races they'd have immediately after dinner when they'd have afternoon and evening sessions, which were not consequential, so the favourites would try to race slow (as they were full of chips).

If someone went off on a flyer, the favourites would work together and hang them out to dry to punish them for making them chase in an inconsequential race when they were still digesting.

It then evolved to mean what it does now.

Or something.
    I don't know anything about the term having evolved at 6-Day races, but there is a French term 'etre en chasse-patate' (roughly, 'to be chasing potatoes') - which was the situation Verre was in today, trying to join the front group but effectively stuck in the middle.
    I think the cycling expression developed from the French street-slang term 'avoir la patate' (literally 'to have the potato'), which is used to mean someone 'has a lot of energy' or 'is in top form' - as would apply to the riders in a break. This slang term dates from the 1980s.
    Thus the rider in the middle is chasing those in top form.
    'Avoir la frite' (to have the chip) is used similarly, especially if it also suggests 'rising form'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,079
    jimmyjams said:

JimD666 said:

Pross said:

There's a potato chaser in between and Bardiani appear to have been told they need someone in the break. Feels like they've left it too late though and are just going to annoy everyone.

OK so Hatch has just just the term "chasing potatoes".

Anyone able to enlighten the permanently bewildered as to its origin?
    Chasse patat. Dutch. Chasse being french for chase, and patat being dutch for chips ('cos the Flemish like to mix it up).

Comes from 6 days, something to do with the kind of races they'd have immediately after dinner when they'd have afternoon and evening sessions, which were not consequential, so the favourites would try to race slow (as they were full of chips).

If someone went off on a flyer, the favourites would work together and hang them out to dry to punish them for making them chase in an inconsequential race when they were still digesting.

It then evolved to mean what it does now.

Or something.
    I don't know anything about the term having evolved at 6-Day races, but there is a French term 'etre en chasse-patate' (roughly, 'to be chasing potatoes') - which was the situation Verre was in today, trying to join the front group but effectively stuck in the middle.
    I think the cycling expression developed from the French street-slang term 'avoir la patate' (literally 'to have the potato'), which is used to mean someone 'has a lot of energy' or 'is in top form' - as would apply to the riders in a break. This slang term dates from the 1980s.
    Thus the rider in the middle is chasing those in top form.
    'Avoir la frite' (to have the chip) is used similarly, especially if it also suggests 'rising form'.
    Could well be right.

I was roughly interpreting the Dutch wiki entry
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 742

I share the above two opinions, they were more or less on their last legs, and had to fight a strong headwind in the last kms.
    It was interesting to see that De Marchi tried to comfort Clarke as they rolled across the line (Clarke was supposedly crying). Perhaps they are friends of a sort still, having been in the same team together last year, and (so I've read) having started their professional careers at the same race 15 years ago (GP Folignano–Trofeo Avis).
    Nonetheless, a big pity for Clarke, as he is still missing a Giro stage, and had he won today he would have apparently taken the record off Roger de Vlaeminck as being the oldest rider when finally achieving a stage win at each of the Grand Tours.
    De Marchi afterwards said that when they split the break group on the last climb, he was disappointed to see they were just two, so he knew it would be hard thereafter.
  • mididoctors
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,079
    Looks nasty too.
  • mididoctors
    He finished 18mins down in a sizable group
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,773
    How tf did those break 2 blow it so big time? Just watched on catch up. Why did they not just race it out? Weird.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,216
    Watching the highlights just now they didn't mention Cav crashing but they did show him off the back with his race numbers all ripped up so it was pretty clear that he had
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    BBC:
    Compatriot Mark Cavendish's Astana team said, shortly after the finish, he had "crashed earlier in the stage in the end of the descent from Colle San Pietro".

The team later issued an update
    saying that, even though Cavendish had picked up some new "abrasions", he "feels good" and had "avoided any serious injury".