Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 4: Venosa - Lago Laceno, 175 km - Lumpy ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    Ouffff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    LEKNESSUND drops the break soloing for the win
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Ineos spit out McNulty
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,388

LEKNESSUND drops the break soloing for the win

Seriously ugly climbing style.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Battle of the ugly helmets.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    AG2R (I'd spell his name wrong) playing tactics for the win.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Pares Patre (sp?) wins the 2 up sprint comfortably.
  • pblakeney
    ...and done!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Evenepoel without teammates. So much for Jumbo being weak.

My thought at the start was that they don't look very strong for the mountains.
  • mididoctors
    French lad latches on and flicks him
  • mididoctors
    Proper cycling
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    Legnusund takes Pink
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,972
    Leknessund in pink
  • pblakeney
    Ineos tactics don't work. Evanepoel gives away the Pink jersey.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    edited May 2023
    pblakeney said:

Can't believe Leknessund got duped by the 'you need to take your turn' antics when in a perfect position with no-one challenging behind. Gets the jersey though.

Looked like he was stuck in his biggest gear from the time he attacked.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,972

Leknessund in pink

and white
  • mididoctors
    Ineos bring in a disappointment of a GC bunch 🤔😁
  • rick_chasey

Ineos bring in a disappointment of a GC bunch 🤔😁

Old habits die hard etc.
  • iantr
    iantr Posts: 31
    Cracking stage.

I know it’s been said 1000x before and I know it’s their job… but to average 41km/h over that terrain is just ridiculous. Chapeau to all of them.
  • Pross
    So arguably the two strongest riders, Remco and Roglic, look to have fairly weak teams which could make it interesting with some of the other teams have two outside bets. Hopefully they'll play their cards well to make a race of it.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Can't believe Leknessund got duped by the 'you need to take your turn' antics when in a perfect position with no-one challenging behind. Gets the jersey though.

Looked like he was stuck in his biggest gear from the time he attacked.
    Don't believe he fell for the "You have to keep going to get Pink." dupe.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    I guess it comes down to whether you take a chance of a 50/50 sprint for a stage win or a guaranteed day in the leader's jersey.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

So arguably the two strongest riders, Remco and Roglic, look to have fairly weak teams which could make it interesting with some of the other teams have two outside bets. Hopefully they'll play their cards well to make a race of it.

G has to go up the road

• mididoctors
    Almeida was shockingly bad in the wet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    iantr said:

Cracking stage.

I know it’s been said 1000x before and I know it’s their job… but to average 41km/h over that terrain is just ridiculous. Chapeau to all of them.

I reckon I could average 41kph on the downhill sections, if I didn't crap myself
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

I guess it comes down to whether you take a chance of a 50/50 sprint for a stage win or a guaranteed day in the leader's jersey.

I'm pretty convinced he sold the win - why else was the AG2R guy riding instead of sitting in?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,517

Pross said:

I'm pretty convinced he sold the win - why else was the AG2R guy riding instead of sitting in?
    I doubt he sold it, but probably said you have the stage, I'll take the jersey once they crested the climb together. It's one of those unwritten rules, no?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp said:

Pross said:

I doubt he sold it, but probably said you have the stage, I'll take the jersey once they crested the climb together. It's one of those unwritten rules, no?
    Yes, that's what I meant. Probably would have phrased it better if I wasn't watching in the pub... 😉

Can't see why AG2R bloke would have taken any turn on the front otherwise, the stage was secured from 3-5km out
  • pblakeney

andyp said:

Pross said:

Yes, that's what I meant. Probably would have phrased it better if I wasn't watching in the pub... 😉

Can't see why AG2R bloke would have taken any turn on the front otherwise, the stage was secured from 3-5km out
    I saw it as the Pink was all but secured as long as they didn't play silly beggars and AG2R guy took short turns just to play the game. He won the tactical battle for the stage.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Well Tadej has shown that as long as a strong rider can catch the train it doesn't matter who is driving the engine.
    Veronese68 wrote: