Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 4: Venosa - Lago Laceno, 175 km - Lumpy ***SPOILERS***

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,860
edited May 2023 in Pro race

Flat bit at top of final climb round the lake

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Iirc Alex zuelle won here in festina kit .....zillion years ago . There was a London double decker bus parked up there bizarrely

https://youtu.be/4t2Vyky96Bw
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    edited May 2023

Iirc Alex zuelle won here in festina kit .....zillion years ago . There was a London double decker bus parked up there bizarrely

Zulle looked unbeatable for the first half of that race, but then Pantani took him apart on the Fedaia. Incidentally, the Festina team at that race was pretty underwhelming and he lacked any real support. Not that we can compare that race with Remco today as I'm not sure there's anyone like Pantani around today.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    A stage across the Apennines, taking in two long and manageable ascents up the mountains of Basilicata. At first, the route runs along a fast road, then it tackles two categorised climbs, twisting continuously both up- and downwards, with steady gradients around 5‑6%.
    The last 15 km rise steeply all the way to the plateau, where the road levels out over the final 4 km.

Final kilometres

The Colle Molella climb (9.9 km at 6.0%) ends 3 km before the finish. Past Bagnoli Irpino, the route ascends in hairpins for 3 km, with gradients around 10% and peaking out at 12%. The last 3 km are flat or slope downward, taking a wide bend around Lago Laceno. The home straight (300 m) is on 7 m wide tarmac. Before reaching Bagnoli Irpino, the route passes over the tracks of two inactive level crossings, on a counter‑sloping stretch.
  • takethehighroad
    Venosa’s gastronomy has a history that comes from afar.

…inde domum me ad porri et ciceris refero laganique catinum (I’m going home to my bowl of leeks, chickpeas and lagane) as Quintus Horatius Flaccus, also known as Horace, wrote in 35 B.C. (Satire 1.6). With his love for humble and healthy food, he was the precursor of the Mediterranean diet.

Lagane and chickpeas: fresh durum wheat semolina pasta, similar to tagliatelle, but wider and shorter, cooked together with chickpeas, topped with crunchy crusco peppers. It is a first dish that can still be tasted in the city’s restaurants
    Past’ e tar’ cucòzz: pasta with talli di zucca (a vegetable similar to broccoli) and peeled tomatoes.
    Orecchiette all’oraziana: orecchiette pasta with sausage cooked in tomato sauce and served with mozzarella, cheese and, optionally, a pinch of chilli pepper.
    Brodetto di agnello alla pastora: a timbale of lamb, eggs and cardoons, which can be eaten in every home in Venosa on Easter Monday.
    Cod fish with crusco peppers: boiled cod fish with crusco peppers fried in EVO oil.
    Typical Desserts

Pizzicanelli: these are rhombus-shaped biscuits made with cocoa, chocolate, almonds and cinnamon.
    Raffaiul: made with egg yolks, sugar and then glazed. Until the 1970s, they were the typical desserts served during wedding banquets.
    La past d la zeit: a fluffy mixture of eggs, flour, sugar and cream of tartar, filled of a special cream with a sweet vanilla flavour.
    Cooked Grain of the Dead: dessert for 2nd November, Day of the Dead. Pearl wheat, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, cooked fig wine.
    Cauzincidd’: puff pastry filled with chickpeas and chestnuts. This is a popular Christmas dessert.
    Pettole: a mixture of flour and yeast fried in hot oil and then sweetened.
  • takethehighroad
    Lago Laceno food

Cheese

Sheep and cattle breeding is an important resource for Bagnoli Irpino. Moreover, the environmental context in which the animals live guarantee an excellent milk, therefore outstanding cheeses and a tasty meat. Among the cheeses we find excellent pecorino (also flavored with truffle), a fresh ricotta with a delicate taste, dried ricotta with chili, an excellent podolic caciocavallo.

Black Truffle of Bagnoli Irpino and products with truffles

The Black Truffle of Bagnoli Irpino (scientific name is “Tuber mesentericum”) is very appreciated for its unmistakable aroma. With the Tartufo di Bagnoli Irpino are produced typical flavored cheeses, such as a very valuable butter also used for the preparation of croutons and pasta, meat or fish dishes. In addition, “Tartufo di Bagnoli Irpino” is used for alcoholic preparations: grappa and liqueurs.

The Chestnut of Montella IGP

The territory of Bagnoli Irpino is part of the production area of the “Castagna di Montella I.G.P”, which also includes the territories of the Municipality of Montella, Cassano Irpino, Volturara Irpina, Nusco and Montemarano. This quality of chestnuts is very appreciated, especially abroad. With a particularly sweet taste, it is ideal for pastry: “castagnaccio”, chocolate chestnut balls and many other products. In addition, the chestnut processing industry produces “Castagne del prete” (dried and then softened), “marronata” and flour.

Mushrooms and other forest products

In the chestnut groves surrounding Bagnoli, from 700 meters up to 1809 of Mount Cervialto, in the beech woods, there are: the porcine in its various aspects (Boletus Reticulatus, Boletus Edulis, etc.), the nails, the hen, the egg and others. The period runs from May to September and depends on the climate, altitude and humus richness of the woodland. There is no other vegetable so appreciated as this product. Its particular flavor, the unmistakable scent, the different fine varieties make it a food celebrated by gourmets and appreciated by all palates. To collect mushrooms, you must have a badge so if you do not have it, you can buy them from authorized people, who personally goes to collect them at the first sunrise.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Will be interesting to see who might be targetting the mountain jersey, and whether any of the points contenders want to try and get in the break. I can see Mathews giving it a go and Mads would surely follow
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Coverage starts at 11:00. The breakaway competition may be the most exciting part.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923

Will be interesting to see who might be targetting the mountain jersey, and whether any of the points contenders want to try and get in the break. I can see Mathews giving it a go and Mads would surely follow

Yesterday it looked like Pinot was keen on the mountain jersey, so expect him to aim to sweep up points on the first two climbs today.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Not sure Pinot will be given the latitude to get in the break, though
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    phreak said:

Zulle looked unbeatable for the first half of that race, but then Pantani took him apart on the Fedaia. Incidentally, the Festina team at that race was pretty underwhelming and he lacked any real support. Not that we can compare that race with Remco today as I'm not sure there's anyone like Pantani around today.
    I remember zulle losing 25mins that day complete collapse .

• mididoctors
    edited May 2023

Lago Laceno food

Cheese

..... at the first sunrise.

Top posting thank you
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    So what do we think, are jumbo gonna Roglify this?
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2023

After the TT Remco said he wanted to give away the jersey today. He might have been bluffing, it may be out of his hands, the breakaway may win. Probably depends on Roglic.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    On Jumbo, they were definitely dropping like flies on the climb yday. So that means either the replacements don't have the legs (entirely plausible) or they were saving their legs today (also plausible, though less).
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

Even if they are all waiting for the third week they need the race to be hard or they will just carry a fresher remco into the final mountains defending said lead as fresh as is humanly possible .

Remco looked more snappy at that bonus sprint yesterday.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    Ineos will Roglify it for them as usual.
  • mididoctors

That went over my head
  • kingstongraham

That went over my head
    Ineos will make it really hard up the final climb and then have nobody to finish it off as well as Roglic.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

That went over my head
    Ineos will make it really hard up the final climb and then have nobody to finish it off as well as Roglic.
    Sometimes I will say something but I actually mean the opposite

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Roglic is severely hampered by a sub-standard support team as a result of covid. Wouldn't under-estimate, especially given how he likes to race.

A sky train with a hilltop sprint suits him fine.

We got a gaggle of riders with a decent mountain top sprint ... I am hoping TGH can hang on to the pair cos he has a fighting chance if he can

I.think.remco is going to ignite the stages further out and spoil that plan.

Its down to who can follow

Anyone can crack in the third ....
    The Sky train has been consigned to history.
    The main train has been Jumbo for the past few years.
    There was a bit of a train in the Tour of the Alps
    Probably more to do with the competition. Jumbo have been blowing up the Ineos train when it matters.
    Your point was actually embedded in the original SkyTrain comment that was made

As in sky is historical and the fact roglic could ride off the back of said train...

What's supposed to happen is you read sky train and then think "oh yeah that's a sarcastic joke because sky are in the past and jumbo are better anyway ... Ha ha "

But I guess it needed more explaining but then it would have
    Lost something in the retelling

YMMV
  • mididoctors
    It's a reference to the pre giro chat thread ... You had to be there
  • kingstongraham
    Can it become like a Stewart Lee joke where it gets unfunny then becomes funny again?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney said:

After the TT Remco said he wanted to give away the jersey today. He might have been bluffing, it may be out of his hands, the breakaway may win. Probably depends on Roglic.
    My latest theory. It was a bluff to get the smaller teams to do all the work early on trying to form the breakaway. Maybe.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors

Can it become like a Stewart Lee joke where it gets unfunny then becomes funny again?

Its was annoying me but after a while i found it hilarious
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

My latest theory. It was a bluff to get the smaller teams to do all the work early on trying to form the breakaway. Maybe.
    A ruse
  • mididoctors
    Will the guys in the break today be in breaks week 3 ?
  • mididoctors
    Not overly frantic peloton ...
  • mididoctors
    Healy giving it a go
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    This is going to be a hard break to establish.
  • mididoctors
    10 or so riders getting away ...Healy and Kung in there
  • mididoctors
    Who's pulling the bunch?