Weight, health & body image

1101112131416»

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,957
    To me I think the key is motivation. If it is to run a marathon, or improve your dancing skills whatever, then the weight successfully falls as a by-product. If the only motivation is to lose weight then you face a grim few months of restrictions and denying yourself the things you want. Its a tough ask then.
  • bonk_king said:

That's classic expend more energy than calories consumed. A sure fire way to shed excess weight. There's hundreds of fancy pants fad diets out there and it all boils down to that one fundamental really....and then of course having the self discipline to carry it all out.

And that part of it is where too many people who want to lose weight fall flat on their face. Little self discipline and all the junk food temptations plastered everywhere.

So you’re at odds with the public health experts?
    I don't think he is. Your experts are saying that most people have more chance of finding the self discipline to eat less than they are to do more exercise
    And the evidence from your average High Street is that "more chance" is a very relative term.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    I think anyone who starts exercising regularly, and really gets into it, after a while will see the benefits of said exercise in the mirror, and maybe their mental health feels better too. They start to look and feel great about themselves.

They also realise that a healthier diet goes hand in hand with their new exercise regime too and things go from strength to strength. Weight loss, fitness improves and general mental health is good.

Sounds so easy, with great rewards, but it's not easy, we all know that.

Many people who start exercising want to see results immediately, which of course doesn't happen. They think it's not working and they stop, moaning that the whole exercise malarky isn't for them, and they reluctantly slip back into their old ways.

If people had the self discipline to stick at it at the beginning, even though they weren't seeing anything drastic happen at first, they would after a while realise that small improvements were actually being made, baby steps and all that.

I believe self discipline is key. I'm reasonably strict with myself but if I find a packet of biscuits hidden in the cupboard I'll have them. If I'm due to go out on the bike and a few dark clouds come over, I'll make my excuses and watch tele instead....usually with a brew and the afore mentioned biscuits, lol. And that's me, someone who is reasonably motivated to do the right thing!

So i really feel for people who are trying to get into a new healthier lifestyle with temptation and excuses around every corner. It's damn hard to start in the first place, and even harder to stick with it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    bonk_king said:

I think anyone who starts exercising regularly, and really gets into it, after a while will see the benefits of said exercise in the mirror, and maybe their mental health feels better too. They start to look and feel great about themselves.

They also realise that a healthier diet goes hand in hand with their new exercise regime too and things go from strength to strength. Weight loss, fitness improves and general mental health is good.

Many people who start exercising want to see results immediately, which of course doesn't happen. They think it's not working and they stop, moaning that the whole exercise malarky isn't for them, and they reluctantly slip back into their old ways.

If people had the self discipline to stick at it at the beginning, even though they weren't seeing anything drastic happen at first, they would after a while realise that small improvements were actually being made, baby steps and all that.

I believe self discipline is key. I'm reasonably strict with myself but if I find a packet of biscuits hidden in the cupboard I'll have them. If I'm due to go out on the bike and a few dark clouds come over, I'll make my excuses and watch tele instead....usually with a brew and the afore mentioned biscuits, lol. And that's me, someone who is reasonably motivated to do the right thing!

So i really feel for people who are trying to get into a new healthier lifestyle with temptation and excuses around every corner. It's damn hard to start in the first place, and even harder to stick with it.

Yep, I have been lucky in my life that for most of it, I was quite skinny and in regards to fitness, could always pick up a good level of fitness quickly.

The battle of the bulge has been creeping up on me for the last 4-5 years. It’s getting harder and harder to keep at bay and trying to get fit has proven to be considerably harder each year since 2019. I have persevered with the fitness but it’s been a surprising battle. If I didn’t know what was the outcome I was heading for, I can see how it would be easy to demotivated not seemingly getting anywhere.

And for anybody asking why I need to keep getting fit. I drop off every winter. Without fail.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    Rather than start a separate thread this is probably the best place. Has anyone tried the Zoe Programme with the glucose monitor thing?

I quite like data on fitness and having something on the health side appeals especially now I’m reaching the age where things go wrong and thought it also might help in terms of nutrition related to sporting performance e.g. finally getting my fuelling right for a marathon. It’s not cheap though and wondered if anyone has tried it and found it helpful.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    edited July 2023
    A fellow cycling club member and his wife (She's a GP) have tried it, and were very complimentary about it.

The chap said it has really helped him work out what foods work well for him, and which ones don't, and he has changed some of his eating habits as a result.

I too was very close to subscribing earlier this year, but the wait time at that moment in time would have put us on the program (I think it is 3 months) at a point where we were out of the country, so not really practical.

It's a large amount of money though for sure, especially for two people, but I'm still tempted, as I think it could be very beneficial for long term health/nutrition.

I forget what the cost was now for 3 months membership plus the tests etc, is it around £600 per person?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Pross said:

Rather than start a separate thread this is probably the best place. Has anyone tried the Zoe Programme with the glucose monitor thing?

I quite like data on fitness and having something on the health side appeals especially now I’m reaching the age where things go wrong and thought it also might help in terms of nutrition related to sporting performance e.g. finally getting my fuelling right for a marathon. It’s not cheap though and wondered if anyone has tried it and found it helpful.

At what age do things go wrong?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,552
    Weigh yourself, don't wear elastic trousers/bottoms (are you putting on weight?) and eat a balanced diet.

Keep it simple and straightforward.
  • focuszing723
    How many fad diets are there around?
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2023
    It's not a fad diet to the best of my knowledge, they don't sell foods or tablets (happy to be corrected) other than the muffins you eat before you poo.

As I understand it, you send your poo off to them, after eating some specific muffins they send you, then they analyse it (Hopefully don't send it back to you) and give you a massive detailed report on what does work for you, and what does not work for you so well.

I think then if you subscribe it might make meal suggestions for the duration of your subscription, based on what the report shows, and what you stated your aims were.
    ie if you wanted to become stronger, or lighter etc.

I can't recall if there is a sensor you can wear as well of if I'm mis remembering.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • focuszing723
    daniel_b said:

It's not a fad diet to the best of my knowledge, they don't sell foods or tablets (happy to be corrected) other than the muffins you eat before you poo.

As I understand it, you send your poo off to them, after eating some specific muffins they send you, then they analyse it (Hopefully don't send it back) and give you a massive detailed report on what does work for you, and what does not work for you so well.

I think then if you subscribe it might make meal suggestions for the duration of your subscription.

I can't recall if there is a sensor you can wear as well of if I'm mis remembering.

Actually that sounds like a good idea.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Is this the thing I read about in the book Rebel Ideas?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,807
    bonk_king said:

I think this is right in general but most people have specific problems that can skew i.

Without getting too graphic, I got a bug back in March which meant I had terrible runs, so much so I was off for a week, and, bluntly, my digestive system has never recovered and I now have pretty chronic IBS. Never had it before. No history of it.

This is really despite living a life that is healthy. We cook the vast majority of our food at home from scratch, it's low in meat and high in veg, between the swimming and cycling I'm doing exercise 5 times a week, I'm a very good weight. I drink very little; most days I don't drink.

And yet, even then I'm really struggling with it. I've taken to changing my entire diet to compensate for it; I've dropped all the porridge and milk and dairy in general out of my diet, all peppers, onions, garlic etc and replaced it with much more miserable veg to no avail.

It can be very frustrating. So I can see if you're more inclined to these kinds of problems, and then you start to exercise and eat better, you can see no return so you won't bother.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's super hard.

I shed a few kgs fat to get my sixpack back when work was a smidge quieter and I had some E-W jetlag which meant I could run and ride before the kids were awake.

Now work is busy and the jetlag has worn off, it's a lot harder keeping it up.
  • Pross
    daniel_b said:

As I understand it, you send your poo off to them, after eating some specific muffins they send you, then they analyse it (Hopefully don't send it back) and give you a massive detailed report on what does work for you, and what does not work for you so well.

I think then if you subscribe it might make meal suggestions for the duration of your subscription.

Correct, it's not a diet although apparently those who use it lose an average of over 4kg as they are more aware of the impact of what they are eating on a much more specific level. They do an initial test that measures gut health, blood sugar and body fat then they work out how various foods are impacting your health and make recommendations on what you should eat or avoid.

Yes, you have one of the glucose monitors like diabetics use and it all connects via an app. The cost is £299.99 for the initial test and then the ongoing membership depends on how long you opt for £24.99 per month for 12 months, £39.99 for 4 months or £59.99 for a month. I'd probably go for 4 months as that would give enough chance to assess how well it works without over-committing.

https://joinzoe.com/how-it-works
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,214
    Pross said:

A club member who is in ther top of their Ironman age group (late 50s) swears by it.
    A retired GP member also thinks it's very good and very sensible.
    My OH is awaiting her muffin.

And yes, you do get the monitor for your arm.

I have no idea what the cost is, but do know you have to wait a while to get your muffin!

• Pross
    The pre-orders are currently for a September start so I think they are getting on top of supply and demand.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,913
    I've thought about it but for my daughter. She's a very good footballer but struggles with her weight - she's not fat but for an athlete she could do with losing at least a stone. Trouble is she isn't that bothered and obviously I can't say but you really need to lose a stone !

If I was racing I might consider it for myself.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,913
    Presumably you don't really need to have an ongoing membership - once you know what foods suit you and what don't ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross

Presumably you don't really need to have an ongoing membership - once you know what foods suit you and what don't ?

Yeah, that was my thinking in going for the 4 month option. Get to learn what works and what doesn't then take it from there.
  • daniel_b
    Pross said:

Yeah, that was my thinking in going for the 4 month option. Get to learn what works and what doesn't then take it from there.
    Ah yes, 4 not 3 months, that was my thought process too, the optimum 'value' from the money spent.
    Pross said:

The pre-orders are currently for a September start so I think they are getting on top of supply and demand.

That's interesting, I think when I looked early this year, they were booking 3-4 months ahead.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18