Gent Wevelgem 2023 Spoilers

124»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    Pross said:

WvA may not be that concerned with his legacy. Different people are motivated by different things - some (you suspect Ronaldo is one) want to accumulate trophies and achievements to prove to everyone they are the best - others may be content with knowing in their own mind where they stand. WvA knows he could have won that race if he wanted to - that may be what matters rather than having it on his palmares.

That said I doubt he'd do it with a monument - can you imagine after him arguing it's a team sport and he's already won one anyway.

Alternatively, maybe he wasn't convinced he would win a sprint and rather than chance it decided to go down the gifting route (whilst making it obvious it was a gift) which also has the benefit of keeping a team mate happy for a bigger race.
    Nah; Laporte was shot. I don't think Laporte had the legs to beat WvA in a sprint after 260 kms.
    WvA did the bulk of the pulling and if he wanted to, could have ridden Laporte off his wheel. Remember WvA dropped Laporte on the Kemmelberg and then waited for him.
    It would be difficult to argue that Laporte gave much meaningful assistance to WvA from their separation to the finish.

WvA for all his successes has only got the 1 monument on his palmares and Flanders is looming.
    Bigger fish to fry.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Laporte got outgunned by Girmay in the sprint finish last year so this was a 'you have it this time pal' call by WvA. Which means Laporte will be even more on for supporting WvA when needed.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    There is this weird psychological phenomenon that I experience and it wouldn't surprise me if it literally applies to all of you as well. When watching a sport (especially football) my attitude is quite harsh when it comes to judgements I make on who is good or if someone made a garbage move or "he's crap" or "didn't really do anything in the game" etc.
    When competing myself I have a completely different attitude and am very kind (try to be) while still being very motivated & driven towards success.
    Maybe that applies here as well? From the couch we have one opinion, but were we in WVA shoes, we would have probably done the same.
    Without question it was the smart thing to do. A teammate paid to help you, will do so. A teammate owing you one or loving you like a brother will turn himself inside out for you.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    Yep mrm - it was simple: give Laporte the win, gain massive team loyalty and concentrate on bigger one's coming up.
    Also, don't empty the tank too much.
    That was a good haul from 50km's out to test/condition the legs in actual race conditions.

No need to read into to that much.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    I'm not convinced it can be explained in instrumental terms. It's a pretty big win to gift for the possibility Laporte/the team will then be more motivated in an upcoming race which would then increase the possibility of winning that one.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671

I'm not convinced it can be explained in instrumental terms. It's a pretty big win to gift for the possibility Laporte/the team will then be more motivated in an upcoming race which would then increase the possibility of winning that one.

I agree.

I think it's more "this win means immeasurably more to my friend and teammate than to me, so why would I take it?"

It's as much a result of the team dynamics as it is a contribution to them.