Gent Wevelgem 2023 Spoilers

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,510

The chase in what's left of the peloton is pretty pathetic, these two aren't coming back

Hour to go
    Yeah, but they've got a minute, the peloton is looking ...meh... and it's got to get over the Kemmelberg one more time

Maybe. Looks like some more teams are coming to the front now.
    So if it’s obvious the two will make it, he’s gonna gift it to Laporte, surely. Shame for the palmares but he has bigger fish to fry
    So we thinking Laporte yeah?
    Yes Rick.
    Thought it was obvious. There's a race next weekend where WVA might like some help
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    I had a hunch this sort of scenario might occur with WvA and La Porte ...

Tough race ..jumbo.on a different level
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156
    edited March 2023
    Philipsen PEDERSEN did great job jumping across there, but then came out too early? But running out of road
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Gotta love a sweary Euro English interview
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

You really need WvA and Pog to liven it up
  • Pross

Was thinking how races are tending to be a bit dull when there’s no MVDP or Pog (or Pidcock I guess). Next week will hopefully be more interesting.
  • rick_chasey

The chase in what's left of the peloton is pretty pathetic, these two aren't coming back

Hour to go
    Yeah, but they've got a minute, the peloton is looking ...meh... and it's got to get over the Kemmelberg one more time

Maybe. Looks like some more teams are coming to the front now.
    So if it’s obvious the two will make it, he’s gonna gift it to Laporte, surely. Shame for the palmares but he has bigger fish to fry
    So we thinking Laporte yeah?
    Yes Rick.
    Thought it was obvious. There's a race next weekend where WVA might like some help
    Alright sarky pants 🩲 x
  • mididoctors
    Lot of crashes and technology failures
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

MvdP and pog you mean
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    Pross said:

Sep celebrating 3rd like a win says it all.

Could very well be the best sprint of his career. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Ah well, overthought my PTP pick: JV go for it with WvA and / or Laporte - tick; other teams chase them down and tow in Kooij for a sprint win - ah, no.
  • Pross
    Meanwhile, in the women’s race, Marlen Reusser accidentally rides off the front on the penultimate climb with over 40km to go. She realises she has a gap on a peloton reduced by a big pile up a few km earlier, gets her head down and solos to a win by way over 2 minutes despite taking the scenic route with 5km remaining when she confidently rode the wrong way past a marshal and 100m or so down a side road before having to do a 3 point turn. Only unzipped her rain jacket for the photos 100m from the finish.

A chase group of 7 containing 3 Brits (Georgi, Henderson and Barker) did get away but made no inroads then get caught in the final 1km. Bunch sprint for second.

Lots of crashes
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432

Cant believe I had to work on Friday, missed the hum-dinger that was E3, only for Sunday to bless us with this absolute snooze fest.

It's a chipper. E3 isn't.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    What's the highest rated race which has been gifted/not contested (without involving a bank transfer)?

Must be Alpe dHuez Lemond & Hinault?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp

What's the highest rated race which has been gifted/not contested (without involving a bank transfer)?

1996 Paris-Roubaix, surely?
  • andyp
    Or the 1990s Worlds.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2023
    The 2000 Olympics - three man all Telekom break - might have been

Also the 2012 Tour de France [takes cover]. 1985 Tour though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376
    Pross said:

Sep celebrating 3rd like a win says it all.

He's just warming up to win P-R. Finally.
  • Pross said:

With all the silly clothing rules the UCI like to introduce I wish they’d do a sensible one and make it compulsory that team wet weather kit matches their normal kit.

It already is, but it's one of the many UCI rules that the UCI routinely ignores.

Things may improve somehat over the next couple of years, as PFC chemicals are in line for a general ban, which will take down Goretex Shakedry fabric, as used by most team jackets, amongst many other things. This works better than anything else, but comes in Henry Ford colour schemes only (any color you like, so long as it's black)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    I dunno what's wrong with wool...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Dunno if a string team mate doing the job they were paid to do counts as a gift
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    I think if WvA looks back on his career and he's even slightly upset that he's only got one GW rather than two, he's had a very disappointing 2023, 2024 and 2025.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

I think if WvA looks back on his career and he's even slightly upset that he's only got one GW rather than two, he's had a very disappointing 2023, 2024 and 2025.

He's only won MSR in the previous 3 years so presumably his career to date is also a disappointment then?
  • rick_chasey

Dunno if a string team mate doing the job they were paid to do counts as a gift

it is when you could drop him for dead if you wanted to.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    phreak said:

He's only won MSR in the previous 3 years so presumably his career to date is also a disappointment then?
    I'd say that another GW already doesn't make that much difference when there's nine TDF stages, an Amstel Gold and a Strade Bianche on there as well as an MSR.

But I think he'd be disappointed if he didn't win more to make this even more of a complete irrelevance.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen in the podcast where he was caught agreeing with someone slating Colnago (heavens, must call the village elders), was saying how, in those situations (discussing the S-works women's Strade Binache), he was selfish enough to demand they at least race for it, if they didn't give it to him.
  • Pross

Stage 18 of the 2020 Tour was another team mate gift albeit a very well deserved one (and Kwiato may have won the sprint anyway).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    WvA may not be that concerned with his legacy. Different people are motivated by different things - some (you suspect Ronaldo is one) want to accumulate trophies and achievements to prove to everyone they are the best - others may be content with knowing in their own mind where they stand. WvA knows he could have won that race if he wanted to - that may be what matters rather than having it on his palmares.

That said I doubt he'd do it with a monument - can you imagine after him arguing it's a team sport and he's already won one anyway.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042

WvA may not be that concerned with his legacy. Different people are motivated by different things - some (you suspect Ronaldo is one) want to accumulate trophies and achievements to prove to everyone they are the best - others may be content with knowing in their own mind where they stand. WvA knows he could have won that race if he wanted to - that may be what matters rather than having it on his palmares.

That said I doubt he'd do it with a monument - can you imagine after him arguing it's a team sport and he's already won one anyway.

The loyalty he has generated and that get's generated from what he did speaks volumes of his character and ensures team loyalty.
    The WvA's, the MvdP's, the Pog's, the Rog's etc; whilst they can ride solo off the front for some considerable amount of time, cannot do it without a team behind them.
    (Jumbo Visma in the chasing group did everything they could to disrupt the chase).

Messi and Ronaldo won't score without service.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross

Alternatively, maybe he wasn't convinced he would win a sprint and rather than chance it decided to go down the gifting route (whilst making it obvious it was a gift) which also has the benefit of keeping a team mate happy for a bigger race.