Strade Bianche:- Siena › Siena 184km ***Spoilers***

1235»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776

gweeds said:

JimD666 said:

ddraver said:

The many many cycling podcast adverts certainly suggest you can monitor it in real time. I assumed it linked to your garmin tbh...

Assuming using the Abbott Libre sensor from Supersapiens (or acquired elsewhere) then:

"The Supersapiens app acts as a communication bridge between the Abbott Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor and your compatible Garmin device. The biosensor does not connect directly to your Garmin device, so you will need to keep your phone within Bluetooth range to ensure you see your minute-by-minute glucose levels on your Garmin device."

Source: https://www.supersapiens.com/en-EN/garmin/
    I’m guessing she wasn’t riding with her phone in her pocket.
    Isn't it more likely she's just been wearing them all the time in training and just didn't take it off for the race (for whatever reason)?

I can see it being the kind of thing you just get used to being there all the time. Obviously no excuse for not knowing the rules. It's not the kind of thing you could have any expectation that nobody would notice.
    you can't take it off and re-apply it. It's a one-off device that lasts about 2 weeks.
    Read somewhere she was a late replacement for the team and hadn't been expecting to race, and had only just applied the device when called up.

Given the relatively poor pay & support in women's pro cycling, if she was paying for the device herself I can see the reluctance to waste it - although you'd think someone from the team would have noticed prior to roll-out...

Speculation but not impossible. Rules are the rules though . The poor wages in women's peloton is shocking
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451

ddraver said:

Again, I'm sure the cycling podcast ads talked about a "Lee-buuurrgh censor" too so makes sense. It too pricked the skin to take readings.

Surprised I'm the only one who has them so indented into their brains tbh...

What else is the 15s skip button for?
    Just FYI, you can modify the skip duration in settings. I jump forward a minute and back 45s to get through ad reads.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,392
    Came on to say that - she was a late call-up and thought that because it wasn't transmitting anything it would be OK (you need a phone as a bridge for that one in order to actually see anything, which she didn't have).

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,432
    For once, the UCI rule here is clear; their usage is banned in competition. It says nothing about whether they can transmit data or not, just that they are banned.

As for the comments on salaries, that might apply to a 19 year old neo-pro on a smaller team, but for an established name like Faulkner at a well funded team like Jayco, I don't think that is even a consideration.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    I get it but it is a bit close do, "I did once but didnt inhale" innit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    andyp said:

For once, the UCI rule here is clear; their usage is banned in competition. It says nothing about whether they can transmit data or not, just that they are banned.

As for the comments on salaries, that might apply to a 19 year old neo-pro on a smaller team, but for an established name like Faulkner at a well funded team like Jayco, I don't think that is even a consideration.

It's unprofessional for sure .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    andyp said:

I think you could argue that "usage" implies actually using it, having a dead device on your arm isn't really usage is it.

But it's a moot point anyway now.
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

I get it but it is a bit close do, "I did once but didnt inhale" innit...

I don't know that it is the same as that.

I think banning wearing them is the only sensible thing to do though, if you agree they need to be banned in the first place, not super sure I do (but hey ho), cos otherwise it's just open to accusations isn't it. Obviously she'd have to hide a phone somewhere for the current sensors, maybe not in future though.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671

andyp said:

I think you could argue that "usage" implies actually using it, having a dead device on your arm isn't really usage is it.

But it's a moot point anyway now.
    The ban is on the device that captures the data.

In the regs there is separate wording about how allowable data (hr, body temp, sweat rate) can be transmitted (only to the rider).
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    andyp said:

read that they're $75 a pop. Also that the bigger issue was it was her last device and the supply chain into Spain is limited / slow.

Either way if the rule is in place it has to be that you can't wear the device. Imagine the farce of the UCI having to collate and check 180 riders info that they wore the device but weren't recording data after a race, before declaring the result.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!