Strade Bianche:- Siena › Siena 184km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,814
    Finally got to watch today. Very impressive win by Pidcock considering he didn’t appear to have intended attacking when he did or ever get a significant lead. Not quite sure what the group behind were playing at though, I suspect Valter is on the naughty step today.

I thought Lloyd?? made a good point in commentary when the gap came down that Pidcock was able to manage his efforts on the hills more and avoid going into the red. I guess Pidcock himself wasn’t in doubt or he might have been tempted to let them catch him and try to hang in to the finish.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901
    Key to Pidcock's win was Costa in the chasing group. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    edited March 2023
    pblakeney said:

Costa, Valverde, Gerrans, Voeckler - classic anchors. Who are the new generation anchors?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,996
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

Costa, Valverde, Gerrans, Voeckler - classic anchors. Who are the new generation anchors?
    Good new thread title

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    Valter and Benoot were just as bad the week before at KBK. They didn't get it perfect like the OTT commentary team kept claiming this week. They managed to win by luck as much as anything.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    gsk82 said:

Valter and Benoot were just as bad the week before at KBK. They didn't get it perfect like the OTT commentary team kept claiming this week. They managed to win by luck as much as anything.

That's hardly surprising, as Valter was a 1000 miles away in Galicia when KBK was on, so communication between the two was difficult.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I've heard people say Moscon is a bit of an anchor.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,357
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I've heard people say Moscon is a bit of an anchor.
    Oh chapeau
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    Kristen Faulkner disqualified for wearing a glucose monitoring sensor throughout the race, which is currently banned under UCI regulations. Cecile Uttrup Ludwig moves up to take the final podium spot.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited March 2023
    Harsh for CUL not to have her moment on the literal podium.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Kristen Faulkner disqualified for wearing a glucose monitoring sensor throughout the race, which is currently banned under UCI regulations. Cecile Uttrup Ludwig moves up to take the final podium spot.

Amazing that would be an advantage..... Clearly thought it was
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    daniel_b said:

Harsh for CUL not to have her moment on the literal podium.

This
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,963
    What I don't understand is that the CGM is useless without either your phone (or dedicated reader). If she had neither then no advantage would (or indeed could) be gained.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,508
    JimD666 said:

What I don't understand is that the CGM is useless without either your phone (or dedicated reader). If she had neither then no advantage would (or indeed could) be gained.

Is there not an ability to monitor her via a head unit or even from a team car, and then radio to her if her levels are dropping?
  • JimD666
    edited March 2023
    singleton said:

JimD666 said:

Is there not an ability to monitor her via a head unit or even from a team car, and then radio to her if her levels are dropping?
    Judging by the swearing my wife uses when scanning hers (type1 diabetic) it is not something your doing from a distance of more than a few inches.

Edit: A quick check on the supersapiens website suggests they are still using libre 1 or 2 sensors. Range is a couple of inches. The newest 3 does (allegedly) maintain a Bluetooth connection which would up the range to a couple of metres.

Edit2: scrap that. They're using the "sports" version. Which is using Bluetooth. Good luck maintaining a connection past a couple of meters.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,357
    Are these just banned for the sake of it? Surely it's just a bit more data to work with, along with heart rate and power etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,880
    Do they pierce the skin and what happens if they crash with them?

(Asking from a position of full ignorance)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Maybe there is an app you can run on a head unit like Garmin's that provides real time data on an existing device, that than requiring a separate reader? Otherwise, you could see it being used retrospectively to inform future feed strategies.
  • JimD666
    Yes they pierce the skin. A needle inserts a soft cannula and which remains under the skin. The needle is removed when you withdraw the applicator.

As to using other devices. Once you activate the sensor with your mobile (or dedicated reader) it remains locked to that device for the two week life of the sensor. You cannot use a different device. If the device you used to activate dies, then you need to swap the sensor out as well.

These observations are based on libre 2 diabetic based CGM. The sports one is pretty much identical but hasn't had to undergo the same approval hoops that a full medical device does.
  • Pross

Are these just banned for the sake of it? Surely it's just a bit more data to work with, along with heart rate and power etc.

Assuming the cars are able to monitor the output (which Jim's posts suggest may not be that easy) I can certainly see it being something that would have a benefit to non-diabetic cyclists. A device that predicts the onset of the dreaded bonk would be advantageous. Then again it is also something that helps the safety of any rider who is diabetic. Is there anything saying if the rider in this case is diabetic or not?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    The many many cycling podcast adverts certainly suggest you can monitor it in real time. I assumed it linked to your garmin tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    edited March 2023
    ddraver said:

The many many cycling podcast adverts certainly suggest you can monitor it in real time. I assumed it linked to your garmin tbh...

Assuming using the Abbott Libre sensor from Supersapiens (or acquired elsewhere) then:

"The Supersapiens app acts as a communication bridge between the Abbott Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor and your compatible Garmin device. The biosensor does not connect directly to your Garmin device, so you will need to keep your phone within Bluetooth range to ensure you see your minute-by-minute glucose levels on your Garmin device."

Source: https://www.supersapiens.com/en-EN/garmin/
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471

No it's because sky/ineos started using them
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011
    JimD666 said:

Yes they pierce the skin. A needle inserts a soft cannula and which remains under the skin. The needle is removed when you withdraw the applicator.

As to using other devices. Once you activate the sensor with your mobile (or dedicated reader) it remains locked to that device for the two week life of the sensor. You cannot use a different device. If the device you used to activate dies, then you need to swap the sensor out as well.

These observations are based on libre 2 diabetic based CGM. The sports one is pretty much identical but hasn't had to undergo the same approval hoops that a full medical device does.

Don't know what she was using, but there are non-piercing technologies. People I knew took an iontophoretic sampling device (Glucowatch) to market, but it had calibration problems. The tech is still bubbliing around though.
  • JimD666
    Mad_Malx said:

JimD666 said:

Don't know what she was using, but there are non-piercing technologies. People I knew took an iontophoretic sampling device (Glucowatch) to market, but it had calibration problems. The tech is still bubbliing around though.
    Agreed. It's kind of the Holy Grail for diabetics and the sooner someone manages to bring it to market and approved by FDA, MHRA and EMA the better.

From the pictures though it looks like a Libre sensor. It's certainly the right size and shape.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Again, I'm sure the cycling podcast ads talked about a "Lee-buuurrgh censor" too so makes sense. It too pricked the skin to take readings.

Surprised I'm the only one who has them so indented into their brains tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    JimD666 said:

ddraver said:

Assuming using the Abbott Libre sensor from Supersapiens (or acquired elsewhere) then:

"The Supersapiens app acts as a communication bridge between the Abbott Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor and your compatible Garmin device. The biosensor does not connect directly to your Garmin device, so you will need to keep your phone within Bluetooth range to ensure you see your minute-by-minute glucose levels on your Garmin device."

I’m guessing she wasn’t riding with her phone in her pocket.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited March 2023
    gweeds said:

JimD666 said:

ddraver said:

Isn't it more likely she's just been wearing them all the time in training and just didn't take it off for the race (for whatever reason)?

I can see it being the kind of thing you just get used to being there all the time. Obviously no excuse for not knowing the rules. It's not the kind of thing you could have any expectation that nobody would notice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,880
    ddraver said:

Again, I'm sure the cycling podcast ads talked about a "Lee-buuurrgh censor" too so makes sense. It too pricked the skin to take readings.

Surprised I'm the only one who has them so indented into their brains tbh...

What else is the 15s skip button for?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632

gweeds said:

JimD666 said:

ddraver said:

Isn't it more likely she's just been wearing them all the time in training and just didn't take it off for the race (for whatever reason)?

I can see it being the kind of thing you just get used to being there all the time. Obviously no excuse for not knowing the rules. It's not the kind of thing you could have any expectation that nobody would notice.
    you can't take it off and re-apply it. It's a one-off device that lasts about 2 weeks.
    Read somewhere she was a late replacement for the team and hadn't been expecting to race, and had only just applied the device when called up.

Given the relatively poor pay & support in women's pro cycling, if she was paying for the device herself I can see the reluctance to waste it - although you'd think someone from the team would have noticed prior to roll-out...