Netflix tdf documentary

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Orica GreenEdge were doing a better job at this sort of thing 7 years ago

Too Netflixy
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    RichN95. said:

The 'race commentary' is all post production?

Pretty much. I'm sure all of Steve Chainel's bits are scripted too.
    Yeah you get that sense that they've just asked him to say something to set the scene
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

RichN95. said:

The 'race commentary' is all post production?

Pretty much. I'm sure all of Steve Chainel's bits are scripted too.
    Yeah you get that sense that they've just asked him to say something to set the scene
    I think he's pretty good.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    So what's the general consensus? For someone who inhabits these forums is it worth a month's Netflix subscription or will I be throwing my remote at the TV?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    r0bh said:

So what's the general consensus? For someone who inhabits these forums is it worth a month's Netflix subscription or will I be throwing my remote at the TV?

Both: general consensus is dead.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • kingstongraham
    r0bh said:

If you watched it at the time, I don't think it adds much. There's the odd moment of interest from the behind the scenes *at the time* like Thomas making it clear he doesn't want to let Pidcock off the leash on the AdH day but you need to watch a lot of the race rolling out in the neutral zone and what Pidcock said about it when interviewed months later (and David Millar's interesting taste in spectacles).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    r0bh said:

IMO worth watching if you have Netflix but not worth getting a subscription purely for it.
    Highlights for me are the AdH episode and the on bike footage.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • takethehighroad
    pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

IMO worth watching if you have Netflix but not worth getting a subscription purely for it.
    I'd concur with this. Not worth a new subscription but a good investment for those already with an account
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

pblakeney said:

r0bh said:

I'd concur with this. Not worth a new subscription but a good investment for those already with an account
    Might be worth asking if there's anything else you've been hearing about and fancy binging at the same time. Also if you're trying to convert someone by making them a little bike-curious.
  • takethehighroad
    I only have Netflix because Sky practically pay me to have it as part of my plan.

We rarely watch stuff on there, but the TDF doc made me pleased I have it

It's basically bargain bin stuff on there apart from these original documentary things

Disney is far superior as a platform, but they are sadly lacking in Cycling documentaries
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    On bike footage is the first time I've seen that done right...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    r0bh said:

You get to watch the Movistar series as well
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver said:

On bike footage is the first time I've seen that done right...

There's an irritating habit of cutting away to the 'talking head' too quickly.
    But yeah it's the best I've seen

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Derby County manager referenced this series in his interview yesterday. He seemed to be impressed with it and the commitment of the riders.

Thought it was interesting that maybe it is more impressive to a non cyclist /non cycling fan than someone who watched most of the race and takes the fact they rode 200km and descend at 100kmh for granted ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    Just looked that up @DeVlaeminck

Warne isn't someone I've come across much but it's a good interview, comes across far better than some bigger names who just repeat football clichés and obviously has interests/influences outside of the usual football, golf and horse racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    There's been a couple of interviews with the producer now that explains the choices made. Have to say it makes sense. Especially the points about just not being able to cover all the stories.

If we wanted a replay of the race we can just watch GCN...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver said:

There's been a couple of interviews with the producer now that explains the choices made. Have to say it makes sense. Especially the points about just not being able to cover all the stories.

If we wanted a replay of the race we can just watch GCN...

Yeah, I agree with this. They can't cover everything and if they tried to pack the full race into 8 episodes it would be much harder to tell a story. Of course it's a highly simplified account of the race but that's the cost to make it more engaging (especially for non fans).

I watched the Alpe episode again with a group of non-cycling fan friends while the cricket was rained off Sunday and it was universally popular.
  • kingstongraham
    Interesting comments here from someone who has never watched a bike race: https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/netflix-tour-de-france-unchained-as-reviewed-by-a-cycling-newbie

TLDR: 9/10 Enjoyed it a lot (including the dubbed audio), but it was missing a few explanations like a map of the route, and what van Aert actually did that helped Vingegaard on the cobbled stage.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    From my own family’s perspective, all of us having some interest in cycling, varying from my own long-term interest to others who love watching the GTs but give less attention to smaller races, Unchained looks great, film quality is great and camera work sone of the best but it frequently really misses out on the stories. It introduces an element but no back-story or follow-on occurs and it’s dropped.
    In the interview on The Cycling Podcast Gay-Rees mentions the cliché of cycling as chess on wheels yet I found that it really didn’t provide the nuances that often surround what is happening on the road.
    It looks good - it’s an expensive Netflix series - but it can’t claim to give be giving serious substance to what goes to make up pine biggest race in pro cycling.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    andytee87 said:

Just looked that up @DeVlaeminck

Warne isn't someone I've come across much but it's a good interview, comes across far better than some bigger names who just repeat football clichés and obviously has interests/influences outside of the usual football, golf and horse racing.

Yes he's a genuine likeable guy - his football is pretty basic but his people skills seem good.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    On the podcast he does with the ITV lot, Pete Kennaugh said that Netflex had been around Cavendish's house. So it looks like series 2 is happening.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    I watched the last episode last night, and I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the Peyragudes stage

Showing Pog and Ving up front and Jakobsen just battling to finish
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Anecdotally I've now spoken to 4 people who have watched the series, having had zero interest in racing but who did watch Drive to Survive, and who have all said they'll be watching the race this year. All have said they didn't appreciate how hard a sport it is and the risks the riders take, how the fact that the team rides for the individual, and the sheer spectacle of the scenery and fans has really hit the spot for them.

So I'd class that as a win.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    RichN95. said:

On the podcast he does with the ITV lot, Pete Kennaugh said that Netflex had been around Cavendish's house. So it looks like series 2 is happening.

Specific Cav documentary on Netflix. August 2nd.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • French Netflix twitter account confirms season 2
  • gweeds said:

Anecdotally I've now spoken to 4 people who have watched the series, having had zero interest in racing but who did watch Drive to Survive, and who have all said they'll be watching the race this year. All have said they didn't appreciate how hard a sport it is and the risks the riders take, how the fact that the team rides for the individual, and the sheer spectacle of the scenery and fans has really hit the spot for them.

So I'd class that as a win.

I'd forgotten most of what happened in last year's Tour beyond the ADH stage, the Granon stage and the overall top 3, despite following avidly at the time. So the series was a good reminder of the race, as well as covering things from a different angle.

I didn't watch every episode - Mrs W&G tends to go off message sometimes and watch "joint" stuff when I'm away - but each episode I saw worked on a standalone basis, without the need to have watched everything that went before.

The episodes that covered "team dynamics" were maybe a bit contrived, but were interesting all the same.
  • takethehighroad

RichN95. said:

Lovely stuff
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

RichN95. said:

Is this different to Cav documentary on Eurosport.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    webboo said:

RichN95. said:

Is this different to Cav documentary on Eurosport.
    ¿Que? I have a Eurosport pass not a Netflix so I'll go look for that.