Netflix tdf documentary

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,246
    edited June 2023
    This is released ('dropped' for those under 30) on Thursday.

I'm just hoping there's not too much Vaughters and Madiot self-aggrandising

For proper fans like us, the Movistar show has set a high bar.

The final trailer:

"...to win"
    says the DS who has had one third place in 26 seasons
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I have to say I really struggled with the Movistar programme.

It kept putting me to sleep!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Main objective is to get the missus back into cycling.

She briefly got into it around 2010-2013 but now all the riders from that era are gone (bar Cav) she’s lost interest.

Hoping some slightly amped up drama between the riders might reinvigorate her interest.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671

I have to say I really struggled with the Movistar programme.

It kept putting me to sleep!

You didn't take hold of your balls?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    My wife knows more about this coming out than me somehow, if it brings more people in then that's got to be a good thing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671
    I'm just worried that if anyone is going to pull an AbuDhabi at the height of the sport's popularity, it's the UCI though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,246
    Meanwhile, on US reality TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oybR62mz7JY
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,327
    Can't imagine there was a shortage of people wanting to fire him into space
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,605
    I found the French subtitles for the French speaking very....helpful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff

I found the French subtitles for the French speaking very....helpful.
    La vache!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Never mind that, episode one has surely the greatest pointless subtitle of all time. For the hard of thinking, the subtitles clarify that "Le Grand Départ" is French for "The Grand Départ". Yes, accent and all. Glorious stuff.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    I might just have to sign up to Netflix for this. How many episodes in the series?
  • Charlie Wegelius saying "Jesus" just about sums up Pidcock's descent. Having gone down the Galibier, that first km is sh1t scary, get it wrong and it is virtually a sheer drop off the mountain!
  • Charlie Wegelius saying "Jesus" just about sums up Pidcock's descent. Having gone down the Galibier, that first km is censored scary, get it wrong and it is virtually a sheer drop off the mountain!

The bit where he overtakes the other rider on the outside of a bend with a sheer drop off is the best bit!
  • The bit where he overtakes the other rider on the outside of a bend with a sheer drop off is the best bit!

It is when you are watching a pro do it and not yourself!

I was there on a busy day at the end of summer. The advantage the pro's have (aside from their obvious skill advantages) is the closed roads. For us mere mortals, having to descend on the right hand side with cars all up the left and loads of other cyclists to navigate is nerve wracking, you get moments where you are a few feet from impending doom!
  • I did the "Pidcock" side of the Galibier a few years ago. According to Strava, on the "Descente Galibier tunnel - Plan Lachat" section, I took 10:59 (36.6 kmh) compared to TP's 6:25. I was taking it quite steadily though, dodging campervans!

I did average 44.5kmh coming down the Alpe earlier that holiday, with Mrs W&G riding shotgun - in the family car!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    First impressions are that it's pretty good - if you've watched Drive to Survive you'll know exactly what to expect - and there's enough interesting stuff kicking around that it's not just for people who don't really follow the sport. It certainly makes it look phenomenal, with the colours being even more hyperreal than normal.

As an introduction to new fans it's probably unbeatable - it gives them some riders to follow, it gently explains the basics (without over-labouring them, so far), and it even dedicates an entire episode to the ability of Pinot to perform well below the level of hype. Pretty much everything you need as a primer, right?
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

and it even dedicates an entire episode to the ability of Pinot to perform well below the level of hype. Pretty much everything you need as a primer, right?

Harsh! 😂 🤣
  • I did average 44.5kmh coming down the Alpe earlier that holiday, with Mrs W&G riding shotgun - in the family car!

I suspect I was about similar! I was on a guided holiday when I did it, I remember the guides saying they had done some training rides the week before and one of them had crashed on that decent at 80km/h! Lucky so and so got away with a couple of scrapes and bruises.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 840
    With it being dropped at 8am, when are we expecting the first finishers to be in?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • I did average 44.5kmh coming down the Alpe earlier that holiday, with Mrs W&G riding shotgun - in the family car!

I suspect I was about similar! I was on a guided holiday when I did it, I remember the guides saying they had done some training rides the week before and one of them had crashed on that decent at 80km/h! Lucky so and so got away with a couple of scrapes and bruises.
    I bottle it at anything close to 70kmh. There's nothing so important in any valley to risk total wipeout!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,177

First impressions are that it's pretty good - if you've watched Drive to Survive you'll know exactly what to expect - and there's enough interesting stuff kicking around that it's not just for people who don't really follow the sport. It certainly makes it look phenomenal, with the colours being even more hyperreal than normal.

As an introduction to new fans it's probably unbeatable - it gives them some riders to follow, it gently explains the basics (without over-labouring them, so far), and it even dedicates an entire episode to the ability of Pinot to perform well below the level of hype. Pretty much everything you need as a primer, right?

DTS is based on a whole season...This is about one race, 3 weeks in July.....
    I really wish there was a way the sport wasn't defined by one event.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Got to start somewhere - has to sell it on what the public already know, then go from there.

Next season may include Flanders and Roubaix....and the RL100, of course.
  • Got to start somewhere...

Absolutely. My daughters were drawn to follow triathlon rather than cycling (triathlon better suits kids with shorter attention spans than are needed for pro cycling races) but the same principle applies I think. The Olympics caught their attention (elder one = Gwen Jorgenson in 2016; younger one = Alex Yee in 2021) and now they follow the World Series etc. avidly.

• Lanterne_Rogue
    andyrac said:

DTS is based on a whole season...This is about one race, 3 weeks in July.....
    I really wish there was a way the sport wasn't defined by one event.....
    A good point, except DTS doesn't cover rallying, endurance, auto grass, drag racing, anything on two wheels... In fact, it appears to cover just one title that's competed for over twenty or so individual races. "Stages", if you will.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,607
    Pidcock says that was the first time he'd ridden that descent - which makes it even more impressive
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bobmcstuff

Hmm I have seen some commentary on Twitter to the opposite with regards new fans. Also speculation that anglos won't watch with subtitles.

I think I'll reserve judgement till I have seen it though - got a free evening Saturday I think...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    There's an English dub for those that want it
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    My real criticism is that if you binge it, it gets a bit formulaic. Here's rider A, here's rider B, here's their backstories, here's one or two stages in which one gains and the other loses, here's a talking head to tell you how wonderful one of them is.