Netflix tdf documentary

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

My real criticism is that if you binge it, it gets a bit formulaic. Here's rider A, here's rider B, here's their backstories, here's one or two stages in which one gains and the other loses, here's a talking head to tell you how wonderful one of them is.

Clasic introduce your characters in the first season style.

Some of them get killed off this season though.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The one unanimous reaction so far seems to be “Who the hell is Steve Chainel?”
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

He won a stage of Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde in 2010, and a stage and GC of Circuit de Lorraine Professionnel in 2008

Yeah, I'm no wiser either.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    edited June 2023

My real criticism is that if you binge it, it gets a bit formulaic. Here's rider A, here's rider B, here's their backstories, here's one or two stages in which one gains and the other loses, here's a talking head to tell you how wonderful one of them is.

Appealing to a wider audience other than just cycling enthusiasts, I’m not sure how they could have done any better.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

RichN95. said:

He won a stage of Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde in 2010, and a stage and GC of Circuit de Lorraine Professionnel in 2008

Yeah, I'm no wiser either.
    He's been one of the leading, if not the leading, French cyclocross riders for the past 15 years.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Yes it’s overly simplistic and dramatic but it works. Great Job Netflix, one of the best sports documentary series I’ve seen. Above Movistar IMHO.

Alpe D’Huez Pidcock
    “Good lad, he’s having a p!ss. He’s f@cking legend.” 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’m not sure about the Scottish guy narrating. He sounds like the bloke who was Rebus’s boss. Or was he in Taggart.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I'm having to watch it a second time (oh, the humanity...) because my wife and eldest are really enjoying it. The questions suggest that a little more explanation might have been in order, but they're hooked.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Honestly? I'm pretty disappointed in it. I watched all but about 5hrs of the Tour live and I'm not sure this was filmed at the same race. Admittedly I watched on Danish TV, which had a definite slant to it's coverage, but how you can skip Magnus Cort (one of the profiles of the Tour imo) and Mads P I have no idea. There was nothing about any of the other jerseys, despite so much focus on Wout, who just randomly wore green (picks out his eyes nicely maybe?). There was nothing about the breaks. There was nothing about how savage the race was, how full on it was every day. There was precious little to explain any tactics, or why it's a team sport, or even the concept of GC versus stage wins.

They didn't even show one of the most iconic moments in recent cycling history, when Pog & Vingegaard shook hands when Jonas waited on the descent.

On top of all of that, there was a shitload of Madiot.

I didn't think any of the stories told were particularly well explored from a sporting or a human perspective.

I'm aware they didn't have that many teams to work with, but it didn't look like they had that much real access behind the scenes anyway.

I'm not really sure what the market for it was intended to be. For me it was too superficial, for those new to the sport it's maybe not explanatory enough, and for anyone outside France it's very French - and not in a good way

Two stars - and one of those is for Pidcock and Cummings.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2023

On top of all of that, there was a shitload of Madiot.

He's lost his title of craziest DS to Julien Jurdie though

Overall I enjoyed in the same way as Drive to Survive (I'm not an F1 fan). It's a lot better than the golf version which was dull.

Obviously a lot is manufactured. The podium battle was nothing of the sort. And the ignoring of riders from other teams completely (Pogacar aside) diminished it a bit. However, I don't think it suffered for the absence of UAE.

Given that EF actually won a stage - giving that little air time was odd. And were Bora meant to be involved? There was in-car footage but nothing else. If they were to recast with hindsight I think they would have brought in Israel PT.

And for the scripted parts - Chainel, the commentary, probably Seb Piquet, couldn't they have done an English version to make it better for their market.

The production values are top notch as well.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited June 2023
    I watched a few episodes with ma raver last night.

It's so Drive to Survive it hurts at times and look at the effect that has had on F1, even I got semi-interested in it for a bit.

I enjoyed it though, no it's not a nerdfest but nor is it meant to. Ma raver enjoyed the Jakob Phillipsen story and I suspect will fall in love with Pinot when she watches that one.

Oh, and watch it in French with english subtitles, how it's supposed to be...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Just watched the Pinot episode. Appears that he has more self awareness than the media.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Watched first few - it's ok but not great. Then again I didn't like Drive to Survive so it's probably just the style isn't my thing. I could maybe see non cycling fans enjoying it and being amazed at just how extreme pro cycling is bit you can't help but get a bit blasé after you've watched so much of it. Maybe I'll get into it more as it goes along.

Favourite cycling documentaries remain The High Life and Slaying The Badger. Favourite sports documentary series Last Dance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I am enjoying it - mainly I just think it's great that someone is putting decent budget into creating cycling content, it can only be good for the sport IMO. Have watched 4 episodes so far.

I think following a different story each episode does detract from the overall story of the Tour, as each episode is standalone so you don't get that overarching storyline. However, with UAE not agreeing to take part there was probably a limited amount they could have done there anyway.

But that doesn't stop it being a good watch. My wife's enjoying it too.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Ep 5 - the Pidcock (and Powless) episode - is very good. Really tells the story well I think.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Episode 2 clearly trying to tell a story of Jumbo team tension which I never thought was there.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    The 'race commentary' is all post production?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Cracking bit of footage from inside the Jumbo V team car car as its stopped behind the Roglic crash.

Real sense of the speed of the riders as they go round the riders on the deck
  • RichN95.

Pretty much. I'm sure all of Steve Chainel's bits are scripted too.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    There's some insights too though: I didn't realise David Millar was a chemistry teacher until I saw his talking head pieces just after he'd walked out of the lab.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716

The guy doing that is silencing the Carlton Kirby thread he is that bad.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Just watched the first episode and was surprised that they went straight to France after the second stage. After showings the crash in Poland several times, surely there was some drama to be wrung out of Groenewegen winning the day after Jakobsen?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

Just watched the first episode and was surprised that they went straight to France after the second stage. After showings the crash in Poland several times, surely there was some drama to be wrung out of Groenewegen winning the day after Jakobsen?

It's all about the access. Jayco didn't want to play.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Even with access they made some pretty weird editorial decisions tbh - one of the most colourful characters of the Tour, riding solo in Denmark in the polkadots to a home crowd and later winning a stage - didn't get a look in despite EF featuring quite heavily
  • kingstongraham

Given the narrative, could easily have done it without, but it wouldn't have been the feelgood story of stage 2.

• kingstongraham
    The second episode doesn't really convey the excitement of the first two France stages for me, either. Watching them live, they were totally compelling.

Does it get better?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

The second episode doesn't really convey the excitement of the first two France stages for me, either. Watching them live, they were totally compelling.

Does it get better?

Just flip forward for the Akpe d'Huez one. If you don't enjoy that there's no hope for the others.
  • kingstongraham

Does it get better?

Just flip forward for the Akpe d'Huez one. If you don't enjoy that there's no hope for the others.
    That one was better. Once I turned off the English language commentary.

More team footage that was filmed at the time rather than the interviews months later. I do wish they would mention some of the other riders at least in passing, even if they can only concentrate on two at a time.

Still prefer the Movistar one.
  • kingstongraham

The guy doing that is silencing the Carlton Kirby thread he is that bad.
    This is true.