If you join the LibDems in a forest...

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

If he thinks it's a sin but also none of the state's business, that's fine. Probably thinks lots of other things are sins like coveting his neighbours ox.

Right, but he was pressured to lie about his own beliefs. That doesn't feel especially liberal.

FWIW, I'm not a massive Farron fan but I think the issue this raises is really critical to the modern liberal/left movement, and one that is pretty much ignored as irrelevant or at worst, traitorous.
    I think you are overthinking this. I believe inheritance tax should be massively increased. If I wanted to be elected, I'd need to say the complete opposite. That's politics and is why no one trusts politicians.

What's the point in entering politics if you don't at least try and implement at least some of your beliefs though?

Now if you're in favour of heavier inheritance tax, because of an overall belief of "x" and you're happy to swap raising inheritance tax for other policies that help achieve the belief of "x" then that's totally fair enough.

If you're just going to go into politics but not try and pursue any policies that align with your core beliefs...well then what's the point?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023
    Jezyboy said:

If he thinks it's a sin but also none of the state's business, that's fine. Probably thinks lots of other things are sins like coveting his neighbours ox.

Right, but he was pressured to lie about his own beliefs. That doesn't feel especially liberal.

FWIW, I'm not a massive Farron fan but I think the issue this raises is really critical to the modern liberal/left movement, and one that is pretty much ignored as irrelevant or at worst, traitorous.
    I think you are overthinking this. I believe inheritance tax should be massively increased. If I wanted to be elected, I'd need to say the complete opposite. That's politics and is why no one trusts politicians.

What's the point in entering politics if you don't at least try and implement at least some of your beliefs though?

Now if you're in favour of heavier inheritance tax, because of an overall belief of "x" and you're happy to swap raising inheritance tax for other policies that help achieve the belief of "x" then that's totally fair enough.

If you're just going to go into politics but not try and pursue any policies that align with your core beliefs...well then what's the point?
    You can have your own views and believe liberalism trumps that?

Its not an enormous mental leap to recognise people think differently to you and being ok with that?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

The big one too, who created God?

What was there before the big bang?
    You think there was time "before" the big bang?
    Do you think there was time before God existed? (In the hypothetical situation where you are a believer).

The questions are essentially the same.

As an aside, Stephen Hawking spent 10 years of his life persuading the scientific world that the big bang was a singularity with nothing before it. Having done this, he then spent the next 10 years convincing them he was wrong.

I can't decide whether this is a demonstration of complete genius being able to convince the world of both positions.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Jezyboy said:

Remind me how imposing your religious beliefs on others fits within liberalism. Religious freedom is a fairly core tenet of liberalism.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

Jezyboy said:

Its not an enormous mental leap to recognise people think differently to you and being ok with that?
    I'm not disagreeing with that. I think it's interesting that someone can simultaneously believe all homosexuals are condemned to hell, and be in favour of gay marriage. But I don't think it's particularly outrageous to think that the state shouldn't be playing the role of policing all sins.

• The big one too, who created God?

Do you think there was time before God existed? (In the hypothetical situation where you are a believer).

As an aside, Stephen Hawking spent 10 years of his life persuading the scientific world that the big bang was a singularity with nothing before it. Having done this, he then spent the next 10 years convincing them he was wrong.

I can't decide whether this is a demonstration of complete genius being able to convince the world of both positions.

I'm quite happy accepting that the brain cannot conceive of an absence of time and space.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I'm not disagreeing with that. I think it's interesting that someone can simultaneously believe all homosexuals are condemned to hell, and be in favour of gay marriage. But I don't think it's particularly outrageous to think that the state shouldn't be playing the role of policing all sins.

He's not in favour of gay marriage, he's in favour of other people having the right to do so.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

The big one too, who created God?

I'm quite happy accepting that the brain cannot conceive of an absence of time and space.
    Another aside, Newton, who was even more amazing than Focuszing thinks Musk is, questioned the linearity of time. He did this in the 17th century. Completely mind blowing that he would do such a thing. Anyway, having wrestled with the issue for a while, he came to the conclusion it must be god's will.

Perhaps we need a thread dedicated to Newton's brilliance.
  • TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

Well, if you take Starmer, for example, what are they? He has changed stated opinions every time it has been necessary, so we will only find out what they really are when he is in power, but even then his opinions will only be those that keep him in power for as long as possible.

I think he will rationalise this as him/labour being in power is far better than the Tories/Corbynites and thus the country is a better place.

In my case, my overall belief ("x") would be that everyone should be born with equal opportunity. One way of achieving this would be through greater inheritance tax, but it's an unelectable position, so I would need to campaign on the basis of improved education. Then when in power, I'd need to find a way to pay for it. I'd consider greater inheritance tax, then I'd realise I would lose the next election, so instead I would borrow more and promise growth.

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

He's not in favour of gay marriage, he's in favour of other people having the right to do so.
    I don't like coffee, but I'm willing to allow others to drink it. It's pretty charitable of me really, but the position is unlikely to confuse people.

Where it is harder is when someone states a position that crosses a moral line for many (e.g. being racist). It's then not enough to simply vote for equality measures on the basis of liberalism, because people are still offended by the original comments.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I don't like coffee, but I'm willing to allow others to drink it. It's pretty charitable of me really, but the position is unlikely to confuse people.

Where it is harder is when someone states a position that crosses a moral line for many (e.g. being racist). It's then not enough to simply vote for equality measures on the basis of liberalism, because people are still offended by the original comments.

Luckily the bible doesn't say "thou must be racist".

Don't think it actually says much about homosexuality either, certainly not the black and white rules some christians and non christians like to argue about.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    I wonder what his voting record is for graven images.
  • Jezyboy said:

Well, if you take Starmer, for example, what are they? He has changed stated opinions every time it has been necessary, so we will only find out what they really are when he is in power, but even then his opinions will only be those that keep him in power for as long as possible.

I think he will rationalise this as him/labour being in power is far better than the Tories/Corbynites and thus the country is a better place.

In my case, my overall belief ("x") would be that everyone should be born with equal opportunity. One way of achieving this would be through greater inheritance tax, but it's an unelectable position, so I would need to campaign on the basis of improved education. Then when in power, I'd need to find a way to pay for it. I'd consider greater inheritance tax, then I'd realise I would lose the next election, so instead I would borrow more and promise growth.

I am intrigued what your style of inheritance tax would look like and how much you would look to raise. Are you looking to raise revenue or level down the wealthy?

I would have thought a broad based, low rate with no exemptions could be sold to the masses.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

That seems quite a different scenario to what actually happened. From memory, there was an assumption that he must be homophobic because of his religious beliefs and then an inane effort by some to try get him to say it aloud so that they could label him a hypocrite.

He wasn't actively campaigning for discrimination, let alone voting for it. Arguing for the rights of others to do things you disapprove of is a pretty fundamental principle of liberalism so I really don't see a conflict between his personal beliefs and actions.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023
    This is actually a decent example of virtue signalling. He was compelled to signal something he didn't actually believe in, because the signal was more important than the outcome (his voting record).

Have often wondered why the "virtue signal" complainers didn't pick up on this particular story, as it's an actual rare real-life example.

Presumably because the nuance around his beliefs re-homosexuals would be lost.
  • If I was God I would just want all things to treat others with respect and certainly not kill or hurt one another. That isn't a reflection of the chaos of nature, the Universe.
  • This is actually a decent example of virtue signalling. He was compelled to signal something he didn't actually believe in, because the signal was more important than the outcome (his voting record).

Have often wondered why the "virtue signal" complainers didn't pick up on this particular story, as it's an actual rare real-life example.

surely with our bizarre political system the importance is in trying to deduce what somebody truly believes in so that if they do get into a positionof power you know what you will be getting.

This was the genius of Boris in that nobody knew what he truly believed in but were prepared to believe that it was the same as them. Starmer is a similar blank canvas but his problem is that people think he is a secret Trot/Tory
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,972
    edited February 2023

This is actually a decent example of virtue signalling. He was compelled to signal something he didn't actually believe in, because the signal was more important than the outcome (his voting record).

surely with our bizarre political system the importance is in trying to deduce what somebody truly believes in so that if they do get into a positionof power you know what you will be getting.

This was the genius of Boris in that nobody knew what he truly believed in but were prepared to believe that it was the same as them. Starmer is a similar blank canvas but his problem is that people think he is a secret Trot/Tory
    This is true, his superpower was for everyone to know that he was lying to somebody, but to assume it wasn't them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156

Must say that with Starmer I picture John Major with a red rosette.
    Simply bland.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

That seems quite a different scenario to what actually happened. From memory, there was an assumption that he must be homophobic because of his religious beliefs and then an inane effort by some to try get him to say it aloud so that they could label him a hypocrite.

He wasn't actively campaigning for discrimination, let alone voting for it. Arguing for the rights of others to do things you disapprove of is a pretty fundamental principle of liberalism so I really don't see a conflict between his personal beliefs and actions.
    I think you have misunderstood my point, it is not the hypocrisy that matters, it is whether he has caused offence at the outset. Voting to allow something doesn't make him a hypocrite as you point out, but it doesn't make his view less offensive (if they were).
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I think you have misunderstood my point, it is not the hypocrisy that matters, it is whether he has caused offence at the outset. Voting to allow something doesn't make him a hypocrite as you point out, but it doesn't make his view less offensive (if they were).
    Why is his view offensive? And who cares what his views are - it's his actions that are important.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

Jezyboy said:

I am intrigued what your style of inheritance tax would look like and how much you would look to raise. Are you looking to raise revenue or level down the wealthy?

I would have thought a broad based, low rate with no exemptions could be sold to the masses.
    All gifts at any time subject to a de minimis would be taxable. It would definitely raise tax which could be used to level up, but the main goal would be to level down beneficiaries of the wealthy not the wealthy themselves.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    I'd be inclined to up the rate on residential property.
    It is crazy that a couple whose sole asset is a property worth £1.0 million would pay no IHT, yet the couple whose sole asset is investments worth £1.0 million pay £140,000 in IHT.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,044

It is crazy that a couple whose sole asset is a property worth £1.0 million would pay no IHT, yet the couple whose sole asset is investments worth £1.0 million pay £140,000 in IHT.

When you're alive, sale of your main residence is tax free. Not sure why that treatment should change because you're dead.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I'd be inclined to up the rate on residential property.

Is that true? I know there is an additional nil rate band, but the £1m property would still fall above that threshold. If it was £600k and was owned by a couple, it would be nothing to pay, I think.

I'd remove the additional nil rate band for residential properties entirely. It's crazy.
  • Dorset_Boy

Is that true? I know there is an additional nil rate band, but the £1m property would still fall above that threshold. If it was £600k and was owned by a couple, it would be nothing to pay, I think.

I'd remove the additional nil rate band for residential properties entirely. It's crazy.
    If the property is left to children or grandchildren the Residence Nil Rate Band applies in addition to the normal Nil Rate Band.
    So £325,000 (NRB) + £175,000 (RNRB) = £500,000 x 2 = £1,000,000

Grossly unfair on those who are willing to invest in the economy, rather than sit in a (neatly arranged) pile of bricks.
  • TheBigBean
    edited February 2023

It was a Cameron/Osbourne thing and resulted in IDS resigning from government.
  • Dorset_Boy

It was a Cameron/Osbourne thing and resulted in IDS resigning from government.
    Brought in so they could fulfill a promise that no one would pay any IHT on the first £1.0 million of the estate.
  • TheBigBean
    Stevo_666 said:

When you're alive, sale of your main residence is tax free. Not sure why that treatment should change because you're dead.
    If you sold it, kept the cash and then died, your estate would pay tax on the cash above £700k. If you kept the house, you'd get £1m.