If you join the LibDems in a forest...

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    edited February 2023

I mean to me, running your politics more liberally than your own personal view because you recognise not everyone thinks the same is a core tenant of liberalism, right?

People on here often seem to refuse to believe you can think one thing but want things run another way.

Iwould say that every time there is a new leader there is a hunt to figure out what they truly believe in.

Ihave no idea what religious beliefs you are referring to but I would assume that if somebody had some deeply held beliefs that if they got the chance to push them on to the rest of the population then they would think that the correct thing to do.

And if that sounds harsh then for context I would not vote for anybody with deeply held religious beliefs
    I think that is a fundamental misunderstanding. While some are evangelical others are very definitely not. The likes of Tim Farron fall into the latter category. I think it's pretty ignorant rather than harsh to assume that all those with religious beliefs want to impose those beliefs on others.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Lot of ignorance of people of faith on this forum.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

I think my favourite (generally and not just on this forum) is the assumption that people who believe in God don't accept the theory of evolution. I went to Catholic schools for 12 years and evolution was taught as a fact.
  • If he thinks it's a sin but also none of the state's business, that's fine. Probably thinks lots of other things are sins like coveting his neighbours ox.
  • rick_chasey

If he thinks it's a sin but also none of the state's business, that's fine. Probably thinks lots of other things are sins like coveting his neighbours ox.

Right, but he was pressured to lie about his own beliefs. That doesn't feel especially liberal.

FWIW, I'm not a massive Farron fan but I think the issue this raises is really critical to the modern liberal/left movement, and one that is pretty much ignored as irrelevant or at worst, traitorous.
  • Lot of ignorance of people of faith on this forum.

How did you feel about Bush and Blair praying together?
  • rick_chasey

Couldn't give a sh!t. The problem wasn't the praying. The problem was the invasion bit, and lying about it.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023

Couldn't give a sh!t. The problem wasn't the praying. The problem was the invasion bit, and lying about it.
    This. You actually think the praying was the key event in that whole sorry situation???🤯

As if them bonding over a round of golf would make it all okay?

F*** me.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

This. You actually think the praying was the key event in that whole sorry situation???🤯

F*** me.
    What question did you think Rick was answering?
  • rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    But if you back the bus up then the decision to invade was made after praying together.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    But if you back the bus up then the decision to invade was made after praying together.
    If you back that up further, are you suggesting that praying made them more hawkish?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

If he thinks it's a sin but also none of the state's business, that's fine. Probably thinks lots of other things are sins like coveting his neighbours ox.

Right, but he was pressured to lie about his own beliefs. That doesn't feel especially liberal.

FWIW, I'm not a massive Farron fan but I think the issue this raises is really critical to the modern liberal/left movement, and one that is pretty much ignored as irrelevant or at worst, traitorous.
    I think you are overthinking this. I believe inheritance tax should be massively increased. If I wanted to be elected, I'd need to say the complete opposite. That's politics and is why no one trusts politicians.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    I'm sure it was also made after eating breakfast, or having a coffee. Conclusion: coffee causes war.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,588
    Hold on, the Brexit referendum also happened after they prayed.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    What question did you think Rick was answering?
    Sorry, poor wording - not directed at RC.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    If you back that up further, are you suggesting that praying made them more hawkish?
    yes, as the praying confirmed their decision.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    That's remarkably ignorant; had thought better of you.

In general, and I say this as about as a pure an atheist as you can be (in that I'm as confident as you can honestly be that we're just meat being shovelled into a grave and that any god or anything like that is just a work of fiction), I think prejudice against people with religious faith has become socially acceptable and I think it's really narrow minded.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

F*** me.
    This is by a mile the daftest thing you have posted on here.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,853
    I find it slightly strange that someone would believe in an omnipotent/omniscient power who has (in whatever way) expressed that something is a sin, yet they ignore that to suit a political party policy.
    That said, I come at it from an entirely non religious point of view (despite, or possibly because of 12 years of catholic school education).
  • monkimark said:

I find it slightly strange that someone would believe in an omnipotent/omniscient power who has (in whatever way) expressed that something is a sin, yet they ignore that to suit a political party policy.
    That said, I come at it from an entirely non religious point of view (despite, or possibly because of 12 years of catholic school education).

They'll get their punishment in eternal damnation.
  • rick_chasey
    monkimark said:

You can think you're right and also think everyone ought to be legally entitled to their own views and indeed have equal rights.

"I think what you're doing is a sin but I also think that's your business and not the state's"
  • If God was real, wouldn't he be online to answer our questions?
  • Hey God, how did the Universe start?
  • The big one too, who created God?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

The big one too, who created God?

Are you building up to some sort of Musky revelation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

What was there before the big bang?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    edited February 2023

You think there was time "before" the big bang?
  • rjsterry

You think there was time "before" the big bang?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_singularity
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,853
    Allowing that to happen doesn't seem very nice.
    In fact, oppressing sinners on earth may be the moral choice.
    I seem to be wavering between aethiesm and religious fundamentalism here...

monkimark said:

They'll get their punishment in eternal damnation.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

If God was real, wouldn't he be online to answer our questions?

Are you Lots wife reincarnated, Salty.