The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

rjsterry said:

mully79 said:

Statutory 20mph is nearly here in Wales which is going to make every ex 30mph road county wide feel like a LTN.

It's going to be carnage.

It will make it tempting to blast down residential rat runs to get ahead of the driver Infront doing 15mph on the main road.

We've got 20mph pretty much everywhere in Kingston and Richmond. As long as the exceptions are done sensibly, it's not a problem.

Unfortunately, the exceptions will not be done sensibly. There are some roads round here that could do with being 30mph when there aren't schoolkids everywhere. Be interested to know if there's going to be any enforcement in Wales, or if it's just expected to reduce speed down from a bit over 30 to about 25.
    On the other hand there's a clarity to just having everything at 20.

And if it nudges down speeds, even if few people actually stick to 20mph, it will reduce the number and severity of accidents. The 'antis' argument will be that because no-one actually sticks to exactly 20mph they aren't worth doing at all, which ignores the positive outcomes of nudging speeds down in residential areas.
    A lot of the problem is putting them where they aren't needed or suitable, which seems to be the case too often based on what I have seen.

And a lot of the solution is down to looking where you're going and looking before you cross the bloody road so you don't hit anything or get hit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited July 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Pross said:

mully79 said:

Statutory 20mph is nearly here in Wales which is going to make every ex 30mph road county wide feel like a LTN.

It will make it tempting to blast down residential rat runs to get ahead of the driver Infront doing 15mph on the main road.

We've got 20mph pretty much everywhere in Kingston and Richmond. As long as the exceptions are done sensibly, it's not a problem.

Unfortunately, the exceptions will not be done sensibly. There are some roads round here that could do with being 30mph when there aren't schoolkids everywhere. Be interested to know if there's going to be any enforcement in Wales, or if it's just expected to reduce speed down from a bit over 30 to about 25.
    Quite a lot of exceptions, the ones near me all seem sensible. The biggest issue I have with the proposals is the lack of physical works to make the roads feel like they should be driven slowly. In some cases the roads still have signs, markings and lighting from before they even became 30mph limits and you end up with that type of road where 20mph feels like you're not moving. I'm not against it but it is being done on the cheap so probably won't work as well as it should.
    Yes, this is one near me that absolutely should be 20mph (and is), but it feels wrong.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4339661,-0.3191952,3a,75y,335.23h,87.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA-GaUi9259rODAD4XiFHzA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
    Yeah, this is one that I used to drive down to the station when I was working in Bristol. It really did feel slow driving along it at 20mph

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5787389,-2.8237332,3a,75y,123.18h,71.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szeVk-GTxpComIjnO-KNjyQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    edited July 2023
    Pross said:

Pross said:

mully79 said:

Quite a lot of exceptions, the ones near me all seem sensible. The biggest issue I have with the proposals is the lack of physical works to make the roads feel like they should be driven slowly. In some cases the roads still have signs, markings and lighting from before they even became 30mph limits and you end up with that type of road where 20mph feels like you're not moving. I'm not against it but it is being done on the cheap so probably won't work as well as it should.
    Yes, this is one near me that absolutely should be 20mph (and is), but it feels wrong.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4339661,-0.3191952,3a,75y,335.23h,87.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA-GaUi9259rODAD4XiFHzA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
    Yeah, this is one that I used to drive down to the station when I was working in Bristol. It really did feel slow driving along it at 20mph

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5787389,-2.8237332,3a,75y,123.18h,71.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szeVk-GTxpComIjnO-KNjyQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Don't worry, when you pass age 60, 20mph will feel quite fast enough all of a sudden, and you might find the urge to buy driving gloves and a peaked cap.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    This is a soon to be 20mph road near me. Doesn't have pavements or even lights.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    mully79 said:

Why is it 30mph currently?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    edited July 2023

Pross said:

Pross said:

mully79 said:

Don't worry, when you pass age 60, 20mph will feel quite fast enough all of a sudden, and you might find the urge to buy driving gloves and a peaked cap.
    I already have the peaked cap dammit!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

mully79 said:

I don't honestly know. My car sat nav said 60 and I've been driving down it at 60mph. I've only just found out it's 30 because they've put blacked out 20mph signs on it.
  • Pross
    mully79 said:

mully79 said:

I don't honestly know. My car sat nav said 60 and I've been driving down it at 60mph. I've only just found out it's 30 because they've put blacked out 20mph signs on it.
    If there weren’t 30 signs there before it wouldn’t be enforceable with there being no street lighting.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2023
    I couldn't quite believe that this main shopping street in Falmouth wasn't pedestrianised. It was so busy with people and would be so nice if there wasn't any traffic.

So I looked it up and apparently it is a pedestrian zone. But there's a car park halfway down it and that's the only way to get there, so they let cars down it.

What I find astonishing is that the traders there actually believe that it is good for their business for it not to be closed to traffic and campaign against it being closed.
  • Pross
    Similar to Salcombe, all the tourists walking around potentially spending money but having to squeeze onto tiny footways to let cars past. Makes for a horrible experience. By contrast you could have tables out the front of cafes etc and make it a really pleasant place to be.

We took the inlaws to Cornwall back in June as the mother-in-law has always loved it but it was a really stressful experience for her now she can't really walk anywhere and relies on a mobility scooter. Places like Tintagel and Port Isaac were so hard to get around that she won't go back and was reluctant to do anything other than stay in the cottage after the first couple of trips.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Similar to Salcombe, all the tourists walking around potentially spending money but having to squeeze onto tiny footways to let cars past. Makes for a horrible experience. By contrast you could have tables out the front of cafes etc and make it a really pleasant place to be.

We took the inlaws to Cornwall back in June as the mother-in-law has always loved it but it was a really stressful experience for her now she can't really walk anywhere and relies on a mobility scooter. Places like Tintagel and Port Isaac were so hard to get around that she won't go back and was reluctant to do anything other than stay in the cottage after the first couple of trips.

I hope that your MiL didn't stop any cars driving at the speed limit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2023
    Another way to reduce car usage would be for the council to auction off all the parking spots they own to the highest bidders, or at the very least, charged at the revenue-maximising rates.

Good way to stop taxpayers being cheated out of good money by car owners.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Another way to reduce car usage would be for the council to auction off all the parking spots they own to the highest bidders, or at the very least, charged at the revenue-maximising rates.

Nope, you are going to have to explain this one.
  • rick_chasey

What's to explain?
  • briantrumpet

Free market, innit?
  • First.Aspect

What's to explain?
    All of it?
  • rick_chasey

What's to explain?
    All of it?
    The car parking spots the council runs are a good asset and they should aim to maximise revenues on them.
  • First.Aspect

What's to explain?
    All of it?
    The car parking spots the council runs are a good asset and they should aim to maximise revenues on them.
    Okay. So selling them does that how?
  • kingstongraham

What's to explain?
    All of it?
    You can run the auction every year without selling the space.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    I think they should hold onto the asset and look into renting them out on a short term basis.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540
    Why not build houses on them? Kill two birds with one stone.
  • rick_chasey

What's to explain?
    All of it?
    Yeah charge the spot to maximise revenues.

So rather than a flat fee of £30 or whatever per year, charge the price that maximises revenues.

Why should we subsidise cars if they’re so bad for us and the world?
  • rick_chasey

They're usually on roads to services the existing houses?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,102
    edited August 2023

Or even better, above them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    This road is going to be made one way later this year, because it's apparently impossible to think of a workable way to safely allow cars in both directions.

• rick_chasey

This road is going to be made one way later this year, because it's apparently impossible to think of a workable way to safely allow cars in both directions.

Yeah so there's a tonne of revenue lying on the table there.
  • First.Aspect
    I'm sort of struggling to care. Move to the countryside?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,540

They're usually on roads to services the existing houses?
    I was talking about car parks. Having once walked past one, I felt that gave me enough expertise to comment on the subject.